Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 10:13:59 AM EDT
Sure it's been asked multiple times...going through the VA state regs now.  I'm considering selling a rifle FTF to a military member but want to make sure I do it lawfully.  Thanks!

Checked the stickies and VCDL. VSP had the below on pistols, but I'm looking for rifle regs;

Military Personnel

Active military personnel permanently stationed in Virginia, including the Pentagon, are treated as Virginia residents for the purchase of a handgun.

ETA: Found some old forum replies but links to VA code are dead, would still like to find: Orders indicating PCS for 90+ days, plus military ID = Virginia resident.  Note they MUST be active duty. Not guard/reserves.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I would ask to see orders, NOT their leave and earnings statement (LES).  Too easy to "photoshop" the info.  LES only shows zip code for BAH.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure they're active duty and not Reserves or National Guard stationed with a unit in Virginia.  It is not the same thing
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought that was only hand guns? I thought rifles could be sold even to out of state residents as long as they could legally own them?

I know I have bought rifles in other states when a VA resident.

Well I guess it depends on what kind of rifle you are talking. When I bought some rifles and shotguns in PA, they could sell them to me even being a VA resident because I was buying bolt action rifles and pump shot gun...not an evil black rifle.

I did buy mine from a FFL in PA so is it different for private sells? I mean I went to PA and bought them in PA and drove them back home, not a transfer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Ask to see their orders showing that they are stationed in va 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
From all my research you need one of the following:

VA driver's license
or
Mil ID with orders stationing them in VA

Me...  AK resident, MD orders living in VA = no new guns for me in VA...

The feds are OK with adjacent states but VA's rules are a touch more restrictive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top