Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2017 7:33:36 PM EDT
I took a look at the VA codes, and I didn't see anything ruling this out:

Mossberg 590 Shockwave

I thought I should ask here, since there are members who are more familiar with the laws than I am.  

Thanks,

-Warren-
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
That thing is sexy. You can reserve one through Budsgunshop fro $389
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
GD thread here:

GD Thread

A guy on page 7 has an interesting setup - a red dot sight and a Magpul RSA on a rail with a single point sling
attached to the RSA. Also note on page 1 there's a link to an adapter that allows you to use the Aguila mini
shells.

I believe these were around for awhile as sorta pricey conversions, and now Mossberg has decided to get into
the game. Now I just need someone to start making an aftermarket bayonet adapter, and I'm all set!  

-Warren-
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems GTG in VA.

The only shotgun question I have about VA is: would a Saiga-type shotgun with a folding stock be legal in VA?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Just be aware not to use a spring tension drum magazine that holds over 11 rounds. See below. 

§ 18.2-308.8. Importation, sale, possession or transfer of Striker 12's prohibited; penalty.It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.
View Quote

That is EXACTLY the state law section I was thinking of!

Thank you, HansonBrothers, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe someone else can answer this question.  I was asked what makes this not fall into the "sawed off shotgun" code?

18.2-299

I originally thought that it was not originally designed to be a shoulder fired weapon, but the 590 was originally designed as a shoulder fired shotgun. Maybe under the same logic as the AR?  The first and original build was a pistol, so therefore it is a pistol even though it can be converted to a rifle at a later date?  Just trying to find a good argument for it when asked...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe someone else can answer this question.  I was asked what makes this not fall into the "sawed off shotgun" code?

18.2-299

I originally thought that it was not originally designed to be a shoulder fired weapon, but the 590 was originally designed as a shoulder fired shotgun. Maybe under the same logic as the AR?  The first and original build was a pistol, so therefore it is a pistol even though it can be converted to a rifle at a later date?  Just trying to find a good argument for it when asked...
View Quote

My understanding is that because you are using a virgin receiver that never had a stock on it, its not actually classified as a shotgun, its a "firearm". Thus it is able to have a 14" barrel and not be a short barreled shotgun. Also, because its over 26.5" overall length, its not an AOW.

Someone correct me if I have that wrong but that's my understanding.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems GTG in VA.

The only shotgun question I have about VA is: would a Saiga-type shotgun with a folding stock be legal in VA?
View Quote

My VEPR has a factory folder on it ....
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top