Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2017 10:46:53 PM EDT
Hello all!!

I am very new to the forums and finding my way around. So if I have missed something please let me know.

Looking to find a good gun club to join.

Tried surfing my way through the Virginia forums but all I have seem to have found was the RANGES thread and all of those ranges are very far from me.

I am willing to travel to enjoy a club that has a good range but was hoping to find something a bit closer to home if possible.

There is a wildlife management area right by my house but shooting through concrete tubes and getting strange looks from some of the locals when I bring my AR and fire off 30 rounds is getting to be a bit much

I have done some research online and have come up with very little on private clubs.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Rivanna Rifle and Pistol is a good choice.   Rrpc.org.  The membership there is open and it's a very nice range for $100 per year.

Cavalier Rifle and Pistol is in western hanover.  There is a wait list and the best way to get on it is to participate in the many open competitons there.

Black creek is in Mechanicsville.  There is an annual open membership that is first come first served and  is going on now.  My understanding is it will full up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
What town ?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are interested in taking a tour of RRPC, just let me know.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rivanna Rifle and Pistol is a good choice.   Rrpc.org.  The membership there is open and it's a very nice range for $100 per year.

Cavalier Rifle and Pistol is in western hanover.  There is a wait list and the best way to get on it is to participate in the many open competitons there.

Black creek is in Mechanicsville.  There is an annual open membership that is first come first served and  is going on now.  My understanding is it will full up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you !! I will check them out.

Quoted:
What town ?

I am in Powhatan just west of Richmond.

Quoted:
If you are interested in taking a tour of RRPC, just let me know.

Take care,
Bob S.

Thanks Bob!!

I will look into the club and will let you know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
That Amelia range with the tubes you are talking about is awful. I think almost everyone I know has shot there once. Once being the key word.

There are two indoor ranges in Richmond that allow rifles. Colonial Shooting Range is located on Broad not far from Staples Mill. Their facilities are decent but you have to buy their ammo now.

The other one is Blue Ridge Arsenal which is next to Bass Pro north of town. I can't comment on that as it just opened.

Most of the outdoor ranges have closed memberships and waiting lists. Virginia really has a long way to go with regards to our shooting ranges.

The best thing you could do is make friends with a land owner out in Powhatan as that county is pretty shooting friendly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
OST
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Oates,

I have lived in Powhatan for over 15 years so I am familiar with the indoor ranges in the Richmond area that you spoke of and have shot at 2 of the 3 (like you i have not shot at Blue Ridge yet).

I have also ventured out to Charles City which has a decent public facility.

They are ok but I am looking for a more private experience. Also like you said you have to buy their ammo and pay to shoot. If I am going to pay to shoot then I might as well get in a Club if possible.

I have a couple of friends that have land that we can get together and go shoot. But that's on someone else's property and its not always convenient to go site in the 300 win mag ;) or go shoot 100 rounds down range if I want.

This is why I'm inquiring about a private range

I don't mind traveling to enjoy what would be a way better experience than what all the indoor shooting ranges have to offer.

Dont get me wrong, the indoor ranges in Richmond area are just fine for what they are but I think I am ready to take this to the next level and get in with a good group of folks who enjoy this a little more than just going bang bang at the indoor range

Thank you to all that have replied this has helped me alot !!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Checking in from Powhatan also.  I just shoot on my property or a buddy's land.

where are you, eastern or western?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That Amelia range with the tubes you are talking about is awful. I think almost everyone I know has shot there once. Once being the key word.

There are two indoor ranges in Richmond that allow rifles. Colonial Shooting Range is located on Broad not far from Staples Mill. Their facilities are decent but you have to buy their ammo now.

The other one is Blue Ridge Arsenal which is next to Bass Pro north of town. I can't comment on that as it just opened.

Most of the outdoor ranges have closed memberships and waiting lists. Virginia really has a long way to go with regards to our shooting ranges.

The best thing you could do is make friends with a land owner out in Powhatan as that county is pretty shooting friendly.
View Quote

Man I loved the Amelia range as a kid.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Man I loved the Amelia range as a kid.
View Quote

I have shot there a couple of times and its not bad really.

Was just looking for more of a range then what Amelia wildlife management area had to offer.

As well as the local ranges here in and around richmond. I am 45 minutes from just about everything so driving to RRPC is only an extra 30 min to enjoy a FULL range including a indoor pistol and a 300yrd rifle.

So far I am in the process of joining and at this point could not be happier with my choice!!

Big thanks to Bob S. AKA MESSER for the invite to check out the club as well as taking the time to show me around.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
It was great meeting you Sn0wbl1nd - had some fun range time too.

I just finished making my 22LR dedicated upper - this should be a lot of fun on the steel range!

The same offer is open to anyone here if you want to come check out RRPC.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was great meeting you Sn0wbl1nd - had some fun range time too.

I just finished making my 22LR dedicated upper - this should be a lot of fun on the steel range!
http://people.virginia.edu/~rjs7m/Guns/SBR-22LR-2.JPG

The same offer is open to anyone here if you want to come check out RRPC.

Take care,
Bob S.
View Quote

ya I can see that being A LOT of fun on the steal range

I have a model 10/22 that i would be interested in using on that range as well.

Not as fancy as what you got going on right there but I think we would have some fun

http://i.imgur.com/ZRV13Di.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top