Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 4:54:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking of making a single-day trip from Chesapeake to the Udvar-Hazy Center (~4 hours each way). Is 4 hours enough time to tour the museum and not feel rushed? I know this is a pretty subjective question; just looking for input from people who've been there. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Only for the big ticket items/displays.  If you are really into aviation/space then probably not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only for the big ticket items/displays.  If you are really into aviation/space then probably not.
View Quote

This, pick one area and plan on a return trip for another area.  Option two is to stay overnight and return the next day.  $15 parking and no entrance fee.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'll be the odd man out.  4 hours seems like plenty to me, unless you plan to take in a movie or are a huge aviation buff.  Of course, I tend to speed visit that place since it is nearby and parking is free starting 90 mins before they close.  

But if you are driving up, I would recommend also visiting the NRA museum, which isn't far from UH.  You will not regret it.  I could spend half a day in there...and have.  Parking and admission are both free.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Way more than enough time for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck, I've spent three days visiting the original building downtown... and UH is bigger. Sure, you can get through it four hours, easily... but you can also easily spend as much more time depending on the detail you explore.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright....here's my $0.02:

I'm from Chesapeake as well. I am a huge aviation geek and I love photography.

I have done the drive up, tour and drive back. I did not really feel like I had enough time there and I was dead tired when I got home.

For the past few years Udvar-Hazy has had an open house where you could tour some of the conservation, storage, and restoration parts of the facility. So far this year, they haven't scheduled a date for it (I've asked a few times already).

When I have gone to the open house in the past, I do one of two things:
1) Drive up Friday after work and stay at a Hotel Friday and Saturday night. Plenty of time to do what you want and not feel rushed.
2) Drive up early Saturday and do the open house, and stay at a hotel Saturday night. You have plenty of time at the museum, and you have somewhere to crash because you're going to be tired if you drive up and spend all day walking around.

You could also drive up, get a hotel the night before, go to the museum in the morning and drive home whenever you're done.

A word of warning: the ONLY food on site is an in-house McDonalds. If you're going to spend all day there, I'd suggest keeping some food in the car. It also gives you a nice break to walk outside and get some air. Doubly so if you have a bored wife and/or kids.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the input. I will be taking my wife and 10 yr. old daughter (she seemed excited about the space shuttle, at least). 
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the input. I will be taking my wife and 10 yr. old daughter (she seemed excited about the space shuttle, at least). 
View Quote
the had some simulators that my daughter liked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm here now. Definitely more of a highlight tour. You could spend days here if you get into the details!

And yeah, we'll be doing one of the simulators.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a warbird museum in VA Beach, too if you want something closer to home.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again for the replies.

As it turned out for me and my family, 4 hours was just about right. On a solo trip, I could see 4 hours easily being too short.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I love that place.

Funnily, you were at Udvar-Hazy, my brother was at NASM in downtown DC, and I was at the warbird museum in Virginia Beach. Apparently we all had the same idea!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I just found out that the Virginia Aviation museum at the Richmond Airport closed about six months ago. Their collection of about 40 aircraft was heavily weighted to WWI and golden age stuff, but some modern stuff like a Blackbird. The SR-71 was moved to the Science Museum of Virginia but no idea where the rest of it ended up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, that sucked hard. Apparently the building was falling down around them and the Airport/landlord refused to help out in moving the museum or fixing the facility.

Thankfully, I had the opportunity to spend a whole day wandering the facility and taking pictures about a year before it closed. My wife and I still need to get back to RIC to see the Blackbird in her new home.

The A4 ended up at the Yankee Air Museum in Michigan.

The Tomcat may end up in TN, but that's not confirmed yet.

A lot of the collection was on loan from their owners, so they probably just went home.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Four hours is enough if you don't see any of the movies.

Only food there is McDonalds, but Willards BBQ is only 7 minutes away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

With more options around Willards.

I used to work on Daly Drive in a high-bay with mostly office space.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kids called it fast food central, just about every fast food joint, including hate chicken and Hooters.

Around the corner off 50, there is also a Thai restaurant, whose chef beat Bobby Flay in an Iron Chef contest.

Eta:  they opened a hate chicken and Wawa just outside the gate of U-H.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kids called it fast food central, just about every fast food joint, including hate chicken and Hooters.

Around the corner off 50, there is also a Thai restaurant, whose chef beat Bobby Flay in an Iron Chef contest.

Eta:  they opened a hate chicken and Wawa just outside the gate of U-H.
View Quote

Yeah, my wife and I want to try that Thai place next time we're up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top