Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
Friend of mine (who lives in MD) thinks guns are icky and his stepdad (lived in VA) passed away.  He is now in charge of getting rid of stepdad's guns safely.  No will involved.  7 guns, some good stuff like H&K and Sig.  I'm looking to:
a) tell him how to do this legally
b) recommend the easiest path to selling them

He would like max $ out of it, but primary concern is doing it legally and safely. I'm thinking of telling him to take them to a local (to Williamsburg) gun shop and putting them on consignment since driving a trunk full of guns to MD is a no-no; is this route legit?

Advice?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Consignment with Tony Wilcox in Warrenton, Va.

Good dude and good market with lots of Money around there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
After my dad passed away in 2011, I inhereted several guns I knew I wouldn't shoot; many once belonged to my brother, but were transferred to my dad many years ago.

I have done consignments at 3 local places and rate them:

1) VA Arms in Manassas.  No easier way to sell.  They even mail you the check.  
I sold most of my dad's / brothers guns through them.  Typical stuff like a 30-30, a 12 gauge pump, a 10/22, a Smith revolver, etc.   I have enough guns of my own and didn't need these.

2) TIE:  Sharpshooters and The Gun Dude.  Sharpshooters screwed up the math on their cut & I had to argue with them to correct it; maybe a one-time thing, and Gun Dude:  I shouldn't have let him talk me into the price he wanted for a milsurp; it sold within a day or two (obviously priced too low).
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing easier than dropping them off at a dealer on consignment. Next best may be posting them on the EE here.

His interests are in competition though. He will make a few bucks less on consignment (most likely), but will have to work harder to sell himself. It is hard to max your revenue while also moving quickly. Selling fast generally means dropping prices to just below the market rate.

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the consignment route.

Another +1 on VA Arms.  Great guys.

However... no will complicates things.  Is there a surviving spouse?  He'll want to consult a VA attorney practicing estate law about probate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Friend of mine (who lives in MD) thinks guns are icky and his stepdad (lived in VA) passed away.  He is now in charge of getting rid of stepdad's guns safely.  No will involved.  7 guns, some good stuff like H&K and Sig.  I'm looking to:
a) tell him how to do this legally
b) recommend the easiest path to selling them

He would like max $ out of it, but primary concern is doing it legally and safely. I'm thinking of telling him to take them to a local (to Williamsburg) gun shop and putting them on consignment since driving a trunk full of guns to MD is a no-no; is this route legit?

Advice?
View Quote

Without a will naming him executor, what makes him think he has authority to do anything? Are there any other family members? SO? He needs an attorney to get probate court to name him executor if he wants to do it legally.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The last two posts are very good advice. You need to know what or I guess your friend needs to know and be clear what his legal standing is to sell these guns. The guns are property and are part of the estate. Even if there is a will, there could be still other legal factors. If he takes the guns and he does not have right to do so, they could be considered stolen.

Internet is not the best place to get legal advice most of the time.

Once the legal issues are taken care of, easiest way to get rid of them is sell them consignment at a gun store.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last two posts are very good advice. You need to know what or I guess your friend needs to know and be clear what his legal standing is to sell these guns. The guns are property and are part of the estate. Even if there is a will, there could be still other legal factors. If he takes the guns and he does not have right to do so, they could be considered stolen.

Internet is not the best place to get legal advice most of the time.

Once the legal issues are taken care of, easiest way to get rid of them is sell them consignment at a gun store.
View Quote

Concur, he needs to sort out the legal issues first or he could end up in a pickle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a brand new gun shop in Toano that has a very good consignment fee. I think it's a flat $25.

I'm local to Williamsburg, if I can be any help on the ground please let me know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 on Tony. He is a stand-up guy. I have been doing business with him for over 20 years. Buys and sells at fair prices.

on a side note, I am sorry he no longer sets-up at the Nation's Gunshow. I can guess why he no longer attends but he was always one of the draws for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You friend needs to be the executor of the estate before he can sell anything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1 on Tony. He is a stand-up guy. I have been doing business with him for over 20 years. Buys and sells at fair prices.

on a side note, I am sorry he no longer sets-up at the Nation's Gunshow. I can guess why he no longer attends but he was always one of the draws for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony has a new job now. He went to work for the James D. Julia. I am not sure what he has done with regards to his company.

press release: http://jamesdjulia.com/press-release/james-d-julia-inc-welcomes-industry-expert-tony-wilcox-world-class-fine-firearms-division/
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a brand new gun shop in Toano .....
View Quote

I must have missed that one, where is it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell him to pick up the guns with someone who knows how to handle it hem safely.

Drive to Green Top in Ashland (north Richmond)

Sell the guns, and leave with a check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top