Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2017 10:47:33 PM EDT
How long does it normally take?

Submitted my application last week.

Update: 1/22

It took 19 days from courthouse to my mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the jurisdiction.  Some counties get it done in under a week.  Not mine.  Fairfax milked every one of the allowed 45 days the last two times I renewed.  Before that I was in Loudoun and they weren't much better.

Renew early if you don't have a second permit in a state with reciprocity, like Utah.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My renewal took under 30 days here in Albemarle County.  This was 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Stafford County is about 30 days
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Two week wait time in Bedford.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Roanoke hates CCW and will take every bit of the 45 days allowed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Ten days in Fluvanna. The renewal only took four days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Renewal in Fairfax in under 21 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Warren county was 1-2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the jurisdiction.  Some counties get it done in under a week.  Not mine.  Fairfax milked every one of the allowed 45 days the last two times I renewed.  Before that I was in Loudoun and they weren't much better.

Renew early if you don't have a second permit in a state with reciprocity, like Utah.
View Quote

The law is very specific about how early you can be to get a full 5 years on the permit.

§ 18.2-308.01. Carrying a concealed handgun with a permit.

Conceled Weapon
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Just as a comparison, a Utah CCW renewal is an online process in addition to smail. $15.75 including a $.75 convenience fee.  Upload a photograph,  copy of Home state permit, answer the normal questions.  You can do it 90 days prior to expiration, they send you a letter reminding you that it expires.

Two weeks normal processing and you get a laminated ID with photo.  Good for 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
When was this?  Just dropped mine in the mail a few minutes ago, to get it for the first time here (after having it in another state).
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Hanover took 10 days last time I renewed ....
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could be confused, but I thought my Utah Non-Resident permit states that it is only valid as long as I have my home states (VA) permit.
Va Beach took 4 weeks for the original and about 2 weeks for the re-newel.
Re-new early.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
How far out can you renew ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought my Utah Non-Resident permit states that it is only valid as long as I have my home states (VA) permit.
View Quote
You have to have a home state permit to GET Utah, but its validity is not tied to it. You don't need to show VA to prove your UT is valid, unlike having to carry photo ID with your VA permit.
I renewed Utah last month, it was within the same week I submitted it online that it was in my mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When was this?  Just dropped mine in the mail a few minutes ago, to get it for the first time here (after having it in another state).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

November. It was a renewal of an existing Va permit. I think in your case that's a net new permit to Va and in Fairfax, its possible they will use up to 45 days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

November. It was a renewal of an existing Va permit. I think in your case that's a net new permit to Va and in Fairfax, its possible they will use up to 45 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will take every second of 45 days.  And then mail it so you won't have it in hand until day 46 or 47.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Last year in PWC, it took 4 days from dropoff to my mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They will take every second of 45 days.  And then mail it so you won't have it in hand until day 46 or 47.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least that's about what I was expecting.  Well, plan for the worst and hope for better, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#21]
To use a different court (I've moved across the state since I registered), is filing a new application all I need to do?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To use a different court (I've moved across the state since I registered), is filing a new application all I need to do?
View Quote

It's still just a renewal.  I moved from Loudoun to Fairfax 10 years ago and just submitted the renewal paperwork to FFX when the old permit issued in Loudoun was expiring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top