Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2017 3:48:17 PM EDT
Calendar showing January and March shows canceled. Anyone know why?
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I was told it was due to a ND at another show. Now the insurance is the problem. No shows at RIR though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I was told it was due to a ND at another show. Now the insurance is the problem.
View Quote

Details?

I used to drive down from northern Virginia fairly regularly to attend the Richmond shows. The most frustrating thing now is that I-95 has become a parking lot, with traffic in many sections moving at a snail's pace. Plus, the last few shows at the Raceway have been disappointing. There's nothing there that cannot be found at the Chantilly Nation's Gun Show, which is right around the corner from me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Details?

I used to drive down from northern Virginia fairly regularly to attend the Richmond shows. The most frustrating thing now is that I-95 has become a parking lot, with traffic in many sections moving at a snail's pace. Plus, the last few shows at the Raceway have been disappointing. There's nothing there that cannot be found at the Chantilly Nation's Gun Show, which is right around the corner from me.
View Quote

Soooo... why are you driving to Richmond?
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha.  I haven't noticed any decent prices at the RVA show in quite some time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Soooo... why are you driving to Richmond?
View Quote

As a collector, I always have the forlorn hope of striking gold. And..... sometimes I do. The key is to attend as many shows as possible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The latest information is that the cancellation of the Richmond show has nothing to do with insurance or ND's, but is simply because the Richmond International Raceway changed its policy and will now not allow guns at all on its premises.

This means that henceforth there will be no gun shows in the Richmond area. The nearest venue will be Fredericksburg.  I would predict that the upcoming Fredericksburg gun show on Jan. 28-29 will be hopping busy. Then we have the next Chantilly Nation's Gun Show on Feb. 10-12.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
What a shame.   The Showplace shows used to be my favorites, I would drive from Hampton Roads to attend, always found great stuff there.  I saw the writing on the wall when they sold off that property and that show ended.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like the Doswell show will start getting bigger and better real fast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a shame.   The Showplace shows used to be my favorites, I would drive from Hampton Roads to attend, always found great stuff there.  I saw the writing on the wall when they sold off that property and that show ended.
View Quote

Growing up on the south side of Richmond, that was the one thing my dad and I always did together. More than moving away, ending the gun shows at the Showplace (Civil War and Modern), was the biggest nostalgia-killer for me.

The Raceway was always the lesser of the two shows in my mind and I am not surprised they finally decided to just say 'the hell with it' and not do them any more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Y'all pining for the days of the Showplace forget how bad it smelled...
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Y'all pining for the days of the Showplace forget how bad it smelled...
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
So, why was the policy changed?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#14]
VCDL also just stated it was a liability insurance issue in their email update tonight.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
VCDL also just stated it was a liability insurance issue in their email update tonight.
View Quote

If it was a liability insurance issue, why wouldn't that equally affect every gun show in Virginia? After all, the same promoters that ran the Richmond show also run the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, and many others.

No, it had to be something specific to this venue. What I heard was that the Raceway adopted a no-guns policy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
This question has been answered..twice

Policies change for a reason. This one is cost due to a ND.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If it was a liability insurance issue, why wouldn't that equally affect every gun show in Virginia? After all, the same promoters that ran the Richmond show also run the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, and many others.

No, it had to be something specific to this venue. What I heard was that the Raceway adopted a no-guns policy.
View Quote

It's quite simple.  RIR says hey you know what you have to have a 4 trillion dollar insurance policy.  If not, no show.  Insurance company say no we are not issuing a 4 trillion dollar policy,  go try somewhere else. Except no one else will do it either.

Insurance and liability policies have been suggested by the left to put the kibash on shooting before and it looks they are putting it to good use to stamp out gun shows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
It fucking sucks but the Richmond shows have gone to complete shit since Sandy Hook. Doswell is a complete joke. Green Top has a better selection.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#19]
An update on this: rumors on the internet are saying that at a previous show at Richmond the show OWNER shot herself in the foot. There are news stories on this that don't mention a name but say that it occurred around 9pm on a Sunday night. Having helped a gun dealer take down their display in the past I can say that most all of the dealers would have been gone by then, meaning the only people left would be show staff, so this story makes sense. I'll see if I can find out more through a friend who still has some dealer ties.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#20]
http://wtvr.com/2016/05/23/woman-shoots-self-in-foot-outside-gun-show/

I'm not posting personal info. Hell, the parties involved could be members here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top