Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2016 5:35:30 PM EDT
I see the "so you're visiting DC" thread and will go through that one next.  for now, can someone tell me about Foggy Bottom area?  Theres an AirBNB apartment available on the NW corner of 23rd St NW and  G St NW.  This is only 2 blocks to the metro and this metro has the blue line with service to/from the airport.

Ill have my wife and 11 year old daughter.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Specific information you're looking for would be more helpful.

Foggy Bottom is home to George Washington University, so a fair amount of college kids. It's not really near bars/nightlife, so crime shouldn't be a concern. Close enough to the major downtown sites, it's a good area.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Has a metro stop.

There are a few bars. The Froggy Goggle being one. A bunch of decent restaurants. Expensive.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...its DC so no guns.

The area itself is relatively safe as far as DC goes. It is not a bad area. But even in the safest areas of DC, sometimes bad people do bad things, its DC.

Parking sucks but does not sound like you will have a car.

What are you wanting to know? What are you coming to DC for?

EDIT- I just looked up the address you gave in google maps. You should be good to go, that looks like a nice area.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Foggy Bottom is a decent area of DC.  I would also check what is called Safetrack aka DC Metro subway work schedules, the blue line maybe delayed, depending on the date/time of year when you arrive.

No guns, ammo or spent shells in DC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Right, no car or taxi, will metro ourselves everywhere. Really Just wanting to make sure that walk from there to metro station will be ok.  

Are there certain metro stations we shoukd not travel past?

And thanks f9r advice on checkup on on metro maintenance schedulex etc will def look in that
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The touristy places you want to go and visit will all be fine on the metro. Stay off the green line.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The touristy places you want to go and visit will all be fine on the metro. Stay off the green line.
View Quote

+1 This.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
It used to be a swamp.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It used to be a swamp.
View Quote
it still is, considering it's infested with lib state department apparatchiks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You will be in a posh part of DC near the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, not to mention the US State Department and the Federal Reserve Board.  You would have to walk for miles from there to get into any trouble.  

The Green Line is mostly fine.  The Blue Line is mostly fine except for a few stations east of the Anacostia River.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
As a new guy in the area, what's up with the green line?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]
23rd & G is the block of GWU's Athletic center.  Most of the buildings around there are dorms.  Check the specific address and make sure you're not renting someone's nasty dorm room.

Other than that, Foggy Bottom itself is very safe, but expensive.  Close to Georgetown, Whitehouse, the mall . . . . .  (GWU grad here from many years ago).
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As a new guy in the area, what's up with the green line?
View Quote

Nothing.  It goes through Anacostia to PG County.  It can be a bit rougher than the lines that run into Virginia, but not much rougher than the Red Line and it's fine even through Anacostia if you don't leave the station.  I've taken the Green Line from both ends many, many times with zero problems.  

Crime can happen on any of the lines.  Someone was killed on the Red Line in DC last year and someone was stabbed on the Orange Line in Virginia a couple of weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nothing.  It goes through Anacostia to PG County.  It can be a bit rougher than the lines that run into Virginia, but not much rougher than the Red Line and it's fine even through Anacostia if you don't leave the station.  I've taken the Green Line from both ends many, many times with zero problems.  

Crime can happen on any of the lines.  Someone was killed on the Red Line in DC last year and someone was stabbed on the Orange Line in Virginia a couple of weeks ago.
View Quote

Enjoy your Metro ride ...

Zero problems until the first time.  And if persons unnamed should decide that your property should become their property, well just enjoy the experience.  Unless they decide to beat the fu¢κ out of you.  Just for fun.  And then live with memories, and recriminations.

If CHP reciprocity indeed should come into effect, I might ride the Metro again.  Until then, I'll stay away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]
as long as you stay away from the half street, you are good to go. =)
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#16]
we're getting metro passes.  ive grouped all the places we plan to go by which metro station they are near.  but im not quite sure if we actually can walk anywhere we need to.  can someone tell me if theres some way to determine which roads/streets would not be possible to walk, for lack of sidewalks, etc?

Capitol South METROblue, orange
Library of Congress
US Capitol Visitor Center
Congress
USSC

Union Station - METROred

Archives/Navy - METROgreen, yellow
National Archives

Gallery Place / Chinatown - METROred, green, yellow
Intl Spy Museum
Fords Theater

Federal Triangle - METROblue, orange
WH Visitor Center
Dept of Treasury

Smithsonian - METROblue, orange
Natural History
Air & Space
National Mall
Bureau of Printing & Engraving
Holocaust Memorial
Washington Monument
WW Memorial
Reflecting Pool (long walk)
Vietnam Memorial (long walk)
Korean Memorial (long walk)
Lincoln Memorial (long walk)
ThomasJ Memorial (long walk)

Foggy Bottom  - METROblue, orange
Kennedy Center for Performing Arts
AirBNB apartment
GWU

Arlington - METROblue
Iwo Jima Memorial

Pentagon - METROblue, yellow
RR Wash Natl Airport DCAblue, yellow

Dupont Circle - METROred
Embassy Row  - Mass
Embassy Row  - New Hamp
Embassy Row  - Conn

Woodley Park / Zoo - METROred
US Naval Observatory
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#17]
You've obviously done your homework on Metro; you will find it easy to use.  If you encounter "yutes" acting out, being load. Etc, I suggest avoiding interaction with them if at all possible; there have been mobbed beatings.  You will likely not encounter this issue.

Do you use Uber?  It's everywhere in DC and Uber won't rip you off the way every licensed cabby in DC will try to do.  

I really hate DC cabbies.  Cabbies specialize in scamming tourists.  Cabbies are notoriously racist too.  Uber is the way to go (where Metro won't reach).

DC is divided into 4 quadrants with the Capitol at the middle.  You generally want to stick to North West; parts of the Capitol Hill area are OK.  

And don't cross the Anacostia!
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Downtown stations are close together.  You can get to the White House from Metro Center or Farragut North on the Red Line as easily as from the Orange Line.  You can get to the Capitol from Union Station or Judiciary Square on the Red Line (walk 3-5 short blocks).
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of what you have listed I have used metro to get to at one point or another. Not all but most. I have never had an issue on metro in the areas you have listed. Doesn't mean issues cant happen. As for side walks, most areas of DC will have sidewalks. Again, never had issues getting from the metro stops to the places you listed by walking. Never walked around embassy row so not sure about walking from metro stop but the area does have sidewalks and it is in the general safer area of DC.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Washington Monument
WW Memorial
Reflecting Pool (long walk)
Vietnam Memorial (long walk)
Korean Memorial (long walk)
Lincoln Memorial (long walk)
View Quote

I'm a big guy and doing these in a loop isn't all that bad.  Check them out at night - fewer people and a better experience I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top