Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 3:42:03 AM EDT
Has anyone done it? How hard is it?

We've been doing the GWNF for a few years now but we keep wanting to go farther west. Does anyone know if there are any camping sites?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
My friends do it all the time.  I haven't been yet due to my work schedule.  

Vehicles need to be licensed and insured.  The trail is considered a state road...so all driving rules apply.  
IIRC, there is no camping allowed on the trail itself, but there is a campground nearby
The Pines Campground

At minimum, you'll want 33's, lockers, a winch, and little concern for slight body damage.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks. It sounds like it might be to difficult for me then. My Bronco isn't stock but it doesn't have 33s or a winch either. Oh well, I'll find somewhere else to go.

Since they redid Shoe Creek trail and put a gate in the middle of it there isn't many places east of 81 to go trail riding. Big Levels is about it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok thanks. It sounds like it might be to difficult for me then. My Bronco isn't stock but it doesn't have 33s or a winch either. Oh well, I'll find somewhere else to go.

Since they redid Shoe Creek trail and put a gate in the middle of it there isn't many places east of 81 to go trail riding. Big Levels is about it.
View Quote

Pretty fun trail!  
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever been down Broad Run? Some people call it "The Gap" and its fairly mild with some harder trails, obstacles and mud holes just off the main trail.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ever been down Broad Run? Some people call it "The Gap" and its fairly mild with some harder trails, obstacles and mud holes just off the main trail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is it? It sounds promising.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It runs between Catawba Road and Route 311 just north of Roanoke. I think it's actually called Broad Run Road if you want to look on a map.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Will a Humvee fit?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will a Humvee fit?
View Quote

Only one way to find out!  I'll take my Power Wagon up if you'll take your Humvee.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Easy road, I can do broad run in my Baja bug.

Check out poor mountain also.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will a Humvee fit?
View Quote

My Bronco barely fits down most of these trails. I doubt a full sized Hummer will.

But please, do try and report your findings back to the group.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My Bronco barely fits down most of these trails. I doubt a full sized Hummer will.

But please, do try and report your findings back to the group.
View Quote

If you watch the video I posted, we passed a new crew cab F150 on our way to the top.  He was coming down from the other side.  Aside from tearing his poor cheap steps all to pieces, he made it down from what I understood.  I'd be tempted to take my PW on 37's up there next season after I get a spare 37 to carry.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you watch the video I posted, we passed a new crew cab F150 on our way to the top.  He was coming down from the other side.  Aside from tearing his poor cheap steps all to pieces, he made it down from what I understood.  I'd be tempted to take my PW on 37's up there next season after I get a spare 37 to carry.
View Quote

Dude I want to watch that video, but its an hour long.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dude I want to watch that video, but its an hour long.
View Quote

I was about to give you crap for not clicking on the links below the video that jumps to different times where the good stuff was at, then I realized you're trying to watch the embedded video and not going to Youtube to watch it...

Skip to the times below to get the good stuff.

New River Valley Jeep Club day out at Pott's Mountain Jeep Trail
7:20 obstacle 1
11:00 obstacle 2
13:30 obstacle 3
17:00 obstacle 4
24:11 Lunch in the field
27:42 obstacle 5
36:36 The stockish F150
36:55 obstacle 6
53:05 obstacle 7
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been wanting to do Potts Mountain for a while now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was about to give you crap for not clicking on the links below the video that jumps to different times where the good stuff was at, then I realized you're trying to watch the embedded video and not going to Youtube to watch it...

Skip to the times below to get the good stuff.

New River Valley Jeep Club day out at Pott's Mountain Jeep Trail
7:20 obstacle 1
11:00 obstacle 2
13:30 obstacle 3
17:00 obstacle 4
24:11 Lunch in the field
27:42 obstacle 5
36:36 The stockish F150
36:55 obstacle 6
53:05 obstacle 7
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, big levels and flagpole are a bore...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, big levels and flagpole are a bore...
View Quote

There's always Uwharrie down in NC.  There are some pretty fun trails down that way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!  Broad Run is fine, but everything off the main road is private property or National Forest!  DGIF regularly patrols the trail (more like a gravel road last time I was up there...no 4WD needed)

My friends and I learned the hard way when we were teenagers.  Doing stupid shit like that is what gets places shut down.  Potts Mtn. was nearly shut down years ago because of people going off the trail.  Patterson Mtn. ATV trail system was shut down many years ago as well.  That's where I always went  Big Island and WV are too far away...
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

NO!  Broad Run is fine, but everything off the main road is private property or National Forest!  DGIF regularly patrols the trail (more like a gravel road last time I was up there...no 4WD needed)

My friends and I learned the hard way when we were teenagers.  Doing stupid shit like that is what gets places shut down.  Potts Mtn. was nearly shut down years ago because of people going off the trail.  Patterson Mtn. ATV trail system was shut down many years ago as well.  That's where I always went  Big Island and WV are too far away...
View Quote

That's what happened to Shoe Creek, dipshits couldn't stay on the trail and destroyed Park land and fucked with the privately owned house that was up there. The owner said fuck it and put up a fence that cut the trail in half. It sucks but I understand.

A few bad apples spoils it for all of the honest people who just want to have a little fun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I am always down for some off-roading, even if it is just a day trip down to the 4wd beach in NC, one day I will have some trails cut out on my 7 acres in Suffolk, the wife wants a side by side.  I would be happy to host some arfcommers when it gets done.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thought it was because of trash?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you a member? I'd love to get some info. Been in the NRV with an 06 LJ for 3 years but just last week have all of my weekends off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am always down for some off-roading, even if it is just a day trip down to the 4wd beach in NC, one day I will have some trails cut out on my 7 acres in Suffolk, the wife wants a side by side.  I would be happy to host some arfcommers when it gets done.
View Quote

I would happily bring beer?

I likes off road.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I likes off road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I likes off road.

I have my 6 acres and my parents 16 next door that I have full access to. I think I'm going to rent a mini excavator this year and cut some more trail. There is a nice little creek we can cross as well. A friend of mine from the Jeep club came down a couple of years ago and we cut some trees and made a trail down to the first creek crossing. With another day or two of work we could have some nice trails and obstacles.

Quoted:
Are you a member? I'd love to get some info. Been in the NRV with an 06 LJ for 3 years but just last week have all of my weekends off.

I'm not currently a member but can point you in the right direction. The easiest way is to look up New River Valley Jeep Club on Facebook as they let their web page/domain expire. If you don't mind wheeling with a bunch of dissimilar branded vehicles, I have a group on Facebook called Offroad Addiction. We wheel pretty frequently and cater to all makes, models, and skill levels. We also ride fairly frequently. Our members have Jeep's, Raptors, Toyotas, and basically anything that someone may take off road.  This year we are going to take a trip to Harlan KY or Windrock TN to wheel, along with regular trips to Uwharrie, Potts, Reasor's Ridge, and wherever else we can find.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have my 6 acres and my parents 16 next door that I have full access to. I think I'm going to rent a mini excavator this year and cut some more trail. There is a nice little creek we can cross as well. A friend of mine from the Jeep club came down a couple of years ago and we cut some trees and made a trail down to the first creek crossing. With another day or two of work we could have some nice trails and obstacles.

I'm not currently a member but can point you in the right direction. The easiest way is to look up New River Valley Jeep Club on Facebook as they let their web page/domain expire. If you don't mind wheeling with a bunch of dissimilar branded vehicles, I have a group on Facebook called Offroad Addiction. We wheel pretty frequently and cater to all makes, models, and skill levels. We also ride fairly frequently. Our members have Jeep's, Raptors, Toyotas, and basically anything that someone may take off road.  This year we are going to take a trip to Harlan KY or Windrock TN to wheel, along with regular trips to Uwharrie, Potts, Reasor's Ridge, and wherever else we can find.
View Quote
I'm already in your page. Honestly didn't know this was your screen name though 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I just joined the group. Does it have about 100 members?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, that's the one. I just approved you. I was talking with one of the other admins and we are going to work on schedule some rides within the next couple of weeks.

Quoted:

You'll have to send me a message and let me know who you are.  I know who you are
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep, that's the one. I just approved you. I was talking with one of the other admins and we are going to work on schedule some rides within the next couple of weeks.

You'll have to send me a message and let me know who you are.  I know who you are
View Quote

Cool thanks, I really need a different screen name here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, I made it pretty easy to tell :)
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I finally got my Humvee street legal, so I'm starting to consider taking it out to these types of places.  Watching some videos, it really looks like it'll be tough for the Humvee to fit.  And I'm not sure I want to try it yet because I don't truly "know" the dimensions of the truck yet and I don't want to start ripping parts of it off on accident.

Future plans will include making a proper rear bumper and brushguard and probably some rocker panel protection, and significantly more time behind the wheel to learn the dimensions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#31]
If you have a military style hummer then you wont fit on any of the trails in VA. I have a full size '94 Bronco and it barely fits down the trails. They are Jeep trails and by Jeeps I mean 2 door Jeeps.

You'll have the coolest truck on the beach if you head down to Corova or Hatteras though.

FYI for those interested: If you get the annual Cape Hatteras National Park 4x4 permit its now good for 365 days instead of a calendar (Jan-Dec) year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you have a military style hummer then you wont fit on any of the trails in VA. I have a full size '94 Bronco and it barely fits down the trails. They are Jeep trails and by Jeeps I mean 2 door Jeeps.

You'll have the coolest truck on the beach if you head down to Corova or Hatteras though.

FYI for those interested: If you get the annual Cape Hatteras National Park 4x4 permit its now good for 365 days instead of a calendar (Jan-Dec) year.
View Quote

Yes, this'n:

I just widened my trails today so it would comfortably fit by trimming and cutting down some trees, which I assume is a no-go at all of these trails.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thats pretty cool. Is it surplus and street legal? I didnt know the DoD was selling surplus hummers. I thought they were all getting shredded and sold for scrap, which is very dumb when they can sell them surplus.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, this'n:

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/MaverickH1/20_zpskckx31is.jpg

I just widened my trails today so it would comfortably fit by trimming and cutting down some trees, which I assume is a no-go at all of these trails.
View Quote

What part of VA are you in?  That Hummer will definitely fit on the trails down in Uwharrie NC.  Military uses the trails down there for training.  I also have a somewhat small group taking a trip to Winrock TN in April if you'd like to go.  There should be plenty of trails wide enough there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thats pretty cool. Is it surplus and street legal? I didnt know the DoD was selling surplus hummers. I thought they were all getting shredded and sold for scrap, which is very dumb when they can sell them surplus.
View Quote

Surplus USMC truck, M1123.  When I got it, it had 81 original miles on it.  2005 model year.  Former armored truck with the Marine Armor Kit.  Street legal as of now, but the DMV might still try to fuck me.

They used to be selling them only as scrap, I remember the GovLiquidation auctions selling trucks as scrap metal only, requiring Demil on location.  GovPlanet auctions are different, and the titling can be complicated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What part of VA are you in?  That Hummer will definitely fit on the trails down in Uwharrie NC.  Military uses the trails down there for training.  I also have a somewhat small group taking a trip to Winrock TN in April if you'd like to go.  There should be plenty of trails wide enough there.
View Quote

Near Roanoke, not sure if I'll go that far out for trails yet.  I just got it to 65 mph for the first time this week.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Near Roanoke, not sure if I'll go that far out for trails yet.  I just got it to 65 mph for the first time this week.  
View Quote

Yea you're not too far away.  Google tells me your truck is about 6-7 inches wider than my Power Wagon.  There's a trail in Blacksburg that your truck may fit on.  I had a Raptor up there with me and his truck fit.

Offroad Addiction - Reasor's Ridge
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yea you're not too far away.  Google tells me your truck is about 6-7 inches wider than my Power Wagon.  There's a trail in Blacksburg that your truck may fit on.  I had a Raptor up there with me and his truck fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FV77toRFHQ
View Quote

Cool video!  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude you have to start posting locations for these trails. My friends and I dont branch out much because we dont know where any of them are. Shoe Creek, Big Levels, Black Mtn (?) and up Alhambra Rd are about all we know.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Cobra is your YouTube page owmach1?

I'm watching the Potts Mtn video now. I want to go now.

The one that's going to get me is the really rocky one towards the beginning of the video. The rest look like they have drive arounds.

And the one at 37 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

At the 8:02 mark on your video is that above Pandapas pond? Looks familiar but it has been awhile since I've been up there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The one that's going to get me is the really rocky one towards the beginning of the video. The rest look like they have drive arounds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep that's my YT page.  

Quoted:

The one at 37 minutes was the most difficult by a large margin. I had a bad line so it took a couple of attempts to get past.  Would have felt a lot more comfortable in a longer wheelbase vehicle.

Quoted:

At the 8:02 mark on your video is that above Pandapas pond? Looks familiar but it has been awhile since I've been up there.

It is.  Half of the trail is on private property while the other half is NF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top