Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 9:38:45 PM EDT
I live in Northern Virginia and I'm seeing far fewer political candidate yard signs and bumper stickers this election season.  From what I've seen, almost all the yard signs in my area are for Trump/Pence or the local Republican candidates.  On the other hand, almost all the "current" bumper stickers I've seen have either been for Bernie or Hillary.  

There are still lots of cars running around with "Obama 2008" and/or "Obama 2012" stickers, but almost none of those cars have stickers for the 2016 season.  

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Bill signed in 2012 prohibited political signs from FFX County Roads and Medians.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+ful+CHAP0739
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The Hillary voters are not enthusiastic about her, to the extent of putting up yard signs.

But the basic explanation for the dearth of Hillary yard signs is that her campaign is not spending money on them. Studies have shown that yard signs are not predictive on how an area votes, and anyway, according to polling, Hillary is way ahead in Virginia. Therefore, her campaign is no longer treating it as a battleground.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bill signed in 2012 prohibited political signs from FFX County Roads and Medians.

View Quote

I didn't know about this -- it explains a lot.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Hillary voters are not enthusiastic about her, to the extent of putting up yard signs.

But the basic explanation for the dearth of Hillary yard signs is that her campaign is not spending money on them. Studies have shown that yard signs are not predictive on how an area votes, and anyway, according to polling, Hillary is way ahead in Virginia. Therefore, her campaign is no longer treating it as a battleground.
View Quote

Hopefully, the Hillary voters will stay home and not vote (or have dead people vote for them).
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in northern Alexandria city and see plenty of Hillary-Timmay signs. Though I'm not surprised (being this far behind enemy lines), I still find those people to be shameful.

Surprisingly, I see quite a few Trump-Pence signs.

I think a lot if it, too, has to do with people not being enthusiastic about either candidate or deal with any social stigma from supporting one or the other (I think this is especially true in my area...it's funny, nay, sad, that supporting the pant-suiter in chief is more socially acceptable than Trump).

The more shit that comes out, I think people are just getting disgusted with the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too bad. I used to pick them up on Weds morning by the dozens...
They make great disposable target holders...lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Drove through great falls last weekend.

Saw about 8 Trump signs. One single Hillary sign.

More Comstock signs than anything.

People are just not enthused.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#8]
More Comstock signs than anything.
View Quote

I drove out to Winchester for the N-SSA Fall Nationals this last Friday, and there were more Comstock signs along the way than Trump signs. (And there were plenty of Trump signs.) I don't believe I saw a single Hillary sign.

Hillary is still going to win Virginia handily, because trees and acres don't vote, and the voters are concentrated in the cities. All the people that I know dislike Hillary, but they dislike Trump more. And very few of them are dyed-in-the-wool gun people.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I've only seen one Hillary sign, and literally hundreds of Trump signs.

Even the few houses near me that usually have the democrat signs haven't put up Hillary signs, yet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a big decrease in yard signs and bumper stickers this election cycle.   I maybe see a trump bumper sticker on one or two cars on my drive to work every day( 20 minutes down I64 on the peninsula)   I have maybe seen 1 Hillary bumper sticker in the past month.  Not seen any Hillary signs while out driving or in any yards in my neighborhood.  I have only seen 2 houses around me that have trump yard signs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I dont know what to believe as far as the polls go but from what the major media is saying I hope they are wrong.

Its really going to suck to see Hillary in the White House.

Get out and vote!! Get your family out too.

Staying at home is a vote for Hillary

Voting 3rd party is a vote for Hillary
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Yard signs?  They tell nothing when it comes to NoVA when you pass over I95. The liberal lemmings that live in all those apartment blocks don't have yards.

I saw a heck of a lot more Romney signs than Halfrican signs the last go round in the Springfield to Centerville area....How did that go for Fairfax County?

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
We have been so Balkanized along multiple lines (race, income, and many others) it is starting to fray at the edges.

It is time for a defenestration in Washintoon, D.C.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in Nelson County over the weekend and I saw more C/K signs along the stretch of US-29 between I-64 and Lovingston than the total of what I have seen here in the Southside. Of course I saw a nearly equal amount of Trump/Pence signs too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#15]
IMO we don't see a lot of Trump bumper stickers because Trump voters don't want their cars vandalized.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IMO we don't see a lot of Trump bumper stickers because Trump voters don't want their cars vandalized.
View Quote

So far, my truck is fine but I park in a secure location and live in a good neighborhood where everyone has at least 5 acres.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw two more Hillary signs yesterday, making my grand total 3 that I have seen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was in Nelson County over the weekend and I saw more C/K signs along the stretch of US-29 between I-64 and Lovingston than the total of what I have seen here in the Southside. Of course I saw a nearly equal amount of Trump/Pence signs too.
View Quote
Unfortunately the liberal shitbirds of Cville are moving further south, that and lots of farmers. Nelson has gone blue for quite a few elections.

Lynchburg would be blue if it were not for LU. We simply cannot out vote NOVA and the other blue cities. Va is permanently a blue state on the federal level, unfortunately.

I have seen quite a few Trump signs here, but what surprised me more were the amount of Bernout signs when he was in the race.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw this too, I went up to UVA and there were probably 6-8 C/K signs but 14-16 Trump signs. The Clinton ones were the first yard/ large signs I had seen. BUT just this past week I saw several small yard signs for her in Madison Heights, and a few in Bedford.

She just doesn't have the support the media is claiming. And I personally have not put a Trump sticker on my Truck, because since I live in a large minority apartment complex, I know my tires would be slashed. However, none of my neighbors are actually planning on going and voting. They all think she is great, or that Kaine is some kind of messiah who saved Virginia, but not one is actually planning on going out and voting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I saw this too, I went up to UVA and there were probably 6-8 C/K signs but 14-16 Trump signs. The Clinton ones were the first yard/ large signs I had seen. BUT just this past week I saw several small yard signs for her in Madison Heights, and a few in Bedford.

She just doesn't have the support the media is claiming. And I personally have not put a Trump sticker on my Truck, because since I live in a large minority apartment complex, I know my tires would be slashed. However, none of my neighbors are actually planning on going and voting. They all think she is great, or that Kaine is some kind of messiah who saved Virginia, but not one is actually planning on going out and voting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We can only hope!  I don't think turn out will be anything like it was for the last two elections.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Last election they said The Dems was gonna blow out Cuchinlli and it ended up being almost too close to call.   I think the polls are very inaccurate nowadays becuase so few people own land lines anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Winchester - All I see is Trump/Pence.  The exit/on ramps for 37 is a great example
Commute - Route 7 into Leesburg I counted 20+ Trump signs, huge ones too.  Only one L Bennett on someones lawn. I-66 same deal.
Fairfax - Burke area, see Trump/Pence on lawns.  Giant one on Burke Lake Rd onto Braddock which is a good spot.  No Hillary I have yet to see in FFx

Lots of Trump bumper stickers in FFx too, only see some Bernie ones, and a few Hillary For Prison stickers

Thats my AO report.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Today westbound on Rt7 into Leesburg on the Rivercreek Pkwy overpass there was a group of people with Trump signs and flags jumping around and waving.

Seen two HRC signs in my hood recently.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Today westbound on Rt7 into Leesburg on the Rivercreek Pkwy overpass there was a group of people with Trump signs and flags jumping around and waving.

Seen two HRC signs in my hood recently.
View Quote

I saw that eastbound, even better it was women for Trump,  looked like fairly younger crowd.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]
There's definitely some HRC signs up in Manassas.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#26]
WTKR cited a quinipack poll that shows Clinton 50 to Trump's 38 here in VA with pot head gary taking the remaining few points.

How is this possible, did they just poll people in Old Town Alexandria?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTKR cited a quinipack poll that shows Clinton 50 to Trump's 38 here in VA with pot head gary taking the remaining few points.

How is this possible, did they just poll people in Old Town Alexandria?
View Quote

I don't believe that.  I'm not so sure Hillary takes VA either.  Her side doesn't have enthusiasm.  Consider that a lot of NOVA and the 757 are professionals with various security clearances.  Even life long Dems in this group have been taking issue with the FBIs unwillingness to prosecute........Oh wait!  That investigation was just reopened.   This is a real issue for Clinton in VA of all places.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I drove down from PA yesterday, and I didn't see many signs in either direction. The only place that had a lot of signs, and mostly Hillary, was around Palmyra.
View Quote

I have to think Palmyra is angry about an armed protestor camping out in front of their Dem office all day. Taunting politicians with guns is dumb.  I hope this doesn't work against Bratt.

ETA:  I know the Louisa-Fluvanna area has a very active local dem group and quite a few old Dem families with some wealth.  That place just seems so stagnant and perpetual in old habits.  Doesn't that area tend project a bit more Dem than it really is anyhow?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Virginia is probably going to be a bit more of a challenge for Trump than some other "swing" states like Nevada and Colorado, but it's definitely in play.  

Ignore the media - they are putting out skewed polls specifically to suppress the Trump vote by convincing you that it's hopeless.  It's not - stop taking your enemy's propaganda as advice.  Go out and vote - it will matter.

If you don't believe me, ask yourself how many pollsters thought that Gillespie would come as close as he did to beating Warner in 2014.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone see the report today of an extra MILLION provisional ballots prepared for this year?  Fairfax county used 6,000 in 2012 and have 265,000 for this election!  Nope, no dem fraud here...
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I sent my absentee ballot off...I wonder if it will get counted
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have to think Palmyra is angry about an armed protestor camping out in front of their Dem office all day. Taunting politicians with guns is dumb.  I hope this doesn't work against Bratt.

ETA:  I know the Louisa-Fluvanna area has a very active local dem group and quite a few old Dem families with some wealth.  That place just seems so stagnant and perpetual in old habits.  Doesn't that area tend project a bit more Dem than it really is anyhow?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drove down from PA yesterday, and I didn't see many signs in either direction. The only place that had a lot of signs, and mostly Hillary, was around Palmyra.

Dittmar isn't running against Brat. She's the one who made the stink about the guy with the pistol on his hip.  

She's running against Tom Garrett.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't believe that.  I'm not so sure Hillary takes VA either.  Her side doesn't have enthusiasm.  Consider that a lot of NOVA and the 757 are professionals with various security clearances.  Even life long Dems in this group have been taking issue with the FBIs unwillingness to prosecute........Oh wait!  That investigation was just reopened.   This is a real issue for Clinton in VA of all places.
View Quote
That's the thing.  They've all got to be thinking "I'd be in prison already."
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I live in NOVA but am down in the 757 area for work right now.  Very few Clinton signs and an equal number of Trump signs in an area of Portsmouth that I would imagine went heavily for Obama four years ago.  I'm feeling good about our chances - do not give up!  Go vote!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top