Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 9:45:17 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

I'm currently living in the Kansas City area.  My family is all in Northern Virginia.  My oldest sister (still 8 years younger than me) wants to buy a handgun.  She has done some shooting but not enough to feel comfortable keeping a gun for defense and she wants to learn.  Her husband died last year quite unexpectedly and she is feeling very uncomfortable with her two young children and no means of protection other than a phone.  So, she wants me to teach her.

I'm out there pretty regularly, at least every other month.  With the various holidays coming up I am likely to be out there for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I already have a visit planned in October.  So, I'm looking for an indoor range where I can show her the basics and not so basics.  She is in Chantilly, my mom (who I usually stay with when I am there) is in Fairfax County just outside Fairfax City.  So something not too far away in NoVA traffic from one of those locations would be great.  I'd prefer somewhere I can use my own ammo (so I don't have to buy usually overpriced range ammo at the range) and somewhere that doesn't mind controlled rapid fire.

Anyone have suggestions?  How is the NRA range?  I am an NRA member if that matters.

It is a very long story as to why my entire family is in NoVA and I don't know anything about ranges in NoVA so I won't go into it here.  It is kind of an interesting story, but it doesn't have anything to do with guns.

As a side note I am planning to move somewhere in NoVA in the next 2-3 years.  Anyone here shoot IDPA in the area?  I'd like to find somewhere to shoot a match every once in a while when I am there for a visit so I already have that going when I move there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, for such a small place, NoVA is a big place. At least when it comes to getting around in traffic. A bit more info on the general area she lives will help.
NRA is a fine range, but it's been outclassed by Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas,  which has a lot more lanes, easier to get range time, and I understand more classes available.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
ESS in Manassas is the definitely the best in the area, but for your purposes the NRA range would probably also be fine. I have taken my fair share of new shooters there and it has worked well,.  It's safe, clean, well lit, and not threatening.   In the past they also had events/classes just for women, which she might later find useful.  It may also be closer to her house depending on where she lives in Chantilly.

My review of the local indoor ranges

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't recommend Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas more. It is modern, well lit and very friendly people. My sister took the Ladies handgun class there and loved it. It's not far from Chantilly or Fairfax City and much easier to get a lane than the NRA range
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW - The NRA range will be closing on 9/26 through pretty much all of October for renovation.

ETA:  The NRA is a straight shot down Rt. 50 from Chantilly.  Non-NRA members can also shoot there, but pay a bit more.  They do have really screwy public hours since a lot of other things go on there!  Also, they do not rent firearms - which may or may not be an issue for you.

There's also Blue Ridge Arsenal, which is actually in Chantilly.  I haven't shot there in twenty years, but it was pretty dismal back then.  Don't know about now.  (Back then folks were just grateful for any place at all to shoot.)

Elite has an almost country club atmosphere and has got to be one of the best indoor public range facilities in this country.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW - The NRA range will be closing on 9/26 through pretty much all of October for renovation.

ETA:  The NRA is a straight shot down Rt. 50 from Chantilly.  Non-NRA members can also shoot there, but pay a bit more.  They do have really screwy public hours since a lot of other things go on there!  Also, they do not rent firearms - which may or may not be an issue for you.

There's also Blue Ridge Arsenal, which is actually in Chantilly.  I haven't shot there in twenty years, but it was pretty dismal back then.  Don't know about now.  (Back then folks were just grateful for any place at all to shoot.)

Elite has an almost country club atmosphere and has got to be one of the best indoor public range facilities in this country.
View Quote

Good info, thanks.  Haven't been there is a couple of months, so I likely would have found out the hard way.  The fact they don't rent firearms has always been a positive thing for me.

Not a fan of Blue Ridge, for a new shooter or otherwise.  Same price as ESS last time I checked and the ranges are not nearly as good.  Still better than SEG though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies folks, looks like it is Elite, or perhaps the NRA range if it is open.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
We went to Elite, it really is a nice place.  We had a great time and I am sure we will be going back.   My sister is talking about taking one of the Ladies Classes.  

So we had a great time,  thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Great to hear.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The NRA Range reopened to the public this morning.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to hear, maybe we will check it out next time.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/wpuba5odv/" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ldhpsdfp3/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup.jpg</a>

<a href="https://postimage.org" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ghe30ofjr/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup_1.jpg</a>

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/wpuba5odv/" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ldhpsdfp3/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup.jpg</a>

<a href="https://postimage.org" target="_blank">https://s5.postimg.org/ghe30ofjr/Caroline_Kahr_Flash_Closeup_1.jpg</a>

Once you go ESS, you don't go...umm...don't even bother going to the NRA range.  Just go to the museum!

For good prices and selections on firearms, check out Virginia Arms in Manassas and Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Once you go ESS, you don't go...umm...don't even bother going to the NRA range.  Just go to the museum!

For good prices and selections on firearms, check out Virginia Arms in Manassas and Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything you said is 100% true.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must live in Prince William.  

ESS is great, no doubt, but it's not as convenient for many of us.  I can be at the NRA range in 20 minutes.  Usually takes me 35-40 to get to ESS (without traffic).  The NRA is also $15 an hour instead of $20.  Thus, when I go shooting off hours, it's usually at the NRA unless I want to shoot 100yds or am going shooting with a buddy who is a member at ESS.

If you had to choose one place for a range membership, it would almost certainly be ESS, but I don't shoot enough to justify a membership at either range.  Thus, I use them both...and am glad to have the NRA as a closer option.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, for such a small place, NoVA is a big place. At least when it comes to getting around in traffic. A bit more info on the general area she lives will help.
NRA is a fine range, but it's been outclassed by Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas,  which has a lot more lanes, easier to get range time, and I understand more classes available.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
NRA is more convenient to our mother's house.  ESS is more convenient to my sister's house.  So, it really depends on where we are coming from. The advantage to NRA is we could also go to the museum.

I'm just happy she is enjoying shooting and excited to go again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are coming from Fairfax County/City, maybe check out Sharpshooters Range in Lorton (a stone's throw from the intersection of FFX County Pkwy & I-95 . . where the multiple huge white 5 mil gal fuel storage tanks are):

http://sharpshootersva.com/

I've been going there ~7-8 yrs now.  25yd range / 16 lanes (I believe).  Not as nice/new as ESS, but they allow holster draws, full auto, rifle, use your own ammo, collect your own brass (if you want it).  I believe the range fees are comparable or maybe even a bit cheaper than ESS.  Never a wait during weekdays; never waited more than 10-15min on a weekend.  

One of the best features of Sharpshooters is that they rent guns for $10, and you can take it back & try another one w/o an extra charge.  (Downside of the gun rental, tho, is they require that you use their somewhat-pricy ammo in rental guns).

Don't work there nor am I associated with them in any way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you are coming from Fairfax County/City, maybe check out Sharpshooters Range in Lorton (a stone's throw from the intersection of FFX County Pkwy & I-95 . . where the multiple huge white 5 mil gal fuel storage tanks are):

I've been going there ~7-8 yrs now.  25yd range / 16 lanes (I believe).  Not as nice/new as ESS, but they allow holster draws, full auto, rifle, use your own ammo, collect your own brass (if you want it).  I believe the range fees are comparable or maybe even a bit cheaper than ESS.  Never a wait during weekdays; never waited more than 10-15min on a weekend.  

One of the best features of Sharpshooters is that they rent guns for $10, and you can take it back & try another one w/o an extra charge.  (Downside of the gun rental, tho, is they require that you use their somewhat-pricy ammo in rental guns).

View Quote

With all due respect, and as a former yearly member, Sharpshooters is garbage.  They don't have adequate air ventilation for one.  When you leave the range and wash your face, look at the paper towel and you'll see exactly what I mean.  Old, stuffy air like an airplane.

You can shoot full auto at ESS, by the way.  I've never had a wait at ESS during the week, either.  Because they have a million more lanes than Sharpshooters, probably.  ESS also allows holster draws.

Not sure why you didn't know all of that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With all due respect, and as a former yearly member, Sharpshooters is garbage.  They don't have adequate air ventilation for one.  When you leave the range and wash your face, look at the paper towel and you'll see exactly what I mean.  Old, stuffy air like an airplane.

You can shoot full auto at ESS, by the way.  I've never had a wait at ESS during the week, either.  Because they have a million more lanes than Sharpshooters, probably.  ESS also allows holster draws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this. I was a yearly member before elite opened. Literally everytime I left the range,  I had black snot/boogers from the ventilation. It's hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. Everytime I went, I waited. Usually not too long (15 mins was about usual), but I rarely wait to get on the 25 at ess on the weekend. First time shooting at elite, you'll spend 30 bucks compared to 25 at sharpshooters. But unlike elite, if you aren't an annual or semi annual member at SS, you have spend $15 every month to renew your "membership". The lights on all the lanes at elite work, unlike SS.

Sharpshooters is convenient, rents guns, sells quality guns and accessories, and is right off the interstate. Their range officers are doing the lords work, seen some horrible and dangerous gun handling on that range.

For the annual membership, you have to pay for the year up front. ESS charges 35 a month, and its auto de tied from my credit card. That's a lot easier to swing than dropping $300 at once.

I used to think sharpshooters was decent until I went to elite.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
It looks like on only has to go to Elite twice a month to make a membership cheaper than pay as you go.  That is actually a pretty good deal compared to other ranges I have been to, especially since they charge monthly instead of requiring the year be paid up front.

I have no idea what part of NOVA I will end up in when we move, but if it is anywhere close to Elite I will join, especially since I could take my kids for no additional cost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It looks like on only has to go to Elite twice a month to make a membership cheaper than pay as you go.  That is actually a pretty good deal compared to other ranges I have been to, especially since they charge monthly instead of requiring the year be paid up front.

I have no idea what part of NOVA I will end up in when we move, but if it is anywhere close to Elite I will join, especially since I could take my kids for no additional cost.
View Quote

The best part is just deciding to go on a whim during the week and getting any lane you want.  The ammo is also cheap if I recall, but they only sell to members I believe.

I also like taking my kids since they can shoot free.  As a yearly member we've shot when it's been empty and never been asked to leave (get back in line) and stayed at least 1.5 hours or close to 2.  I would expect to do that if it's full, but glad they let you shoot all you want if it's not busy when you're a yearly member.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The best part is just deciding to go on a whim during the week and getting any lane you want.  The ammo is also cheap if I recall, but they only sell to members I believe.

I also like taking my kids since they can shoot free.  As a yearly member we've shot when it's been empty and never been asked to leave (get back in line) and stayed at least 1.5 hours or close to 2.  I would expect to do that if it's full, but glad they let you shoot all you want if it's not busy when you're a yearly member.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, one of the most appealing parts is being able to take the kids, and add my wife for only $5 more a month.  My family has a "farm" (in quotes because it has never been an actual farm since the family has owned it) where we shoot some, but that involves driving 40 minutes or so (if there isn't traffic getting out of the DC metro area) and then possibly getting the neighbors to move their horses that are sometimes in the area where we shoot.  Plus, it is outside of course, so bad weather knocks it out of contention.  Nice to have no doubt, but I won't be able to just pop over to test a new handload formula or anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top