Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 12:15:19 PM EDT
My wife is looking at full time Air Guard jobs on Andrews for a few years in length. We would most likely sell our house in Kansas and rent on base.  Her job would be covered and I'd find something.  No children so schools aren't an issue.  D.C. was my first duty station but that was twenty- six years ago.
Maybe after we are there awhile we would buy a place if it looks like a long stay.  Obviously D.C and Maryland suck, and I want my wife close to base so she doesn't have to suffer a long commute.  

I know this will be a big change compared to Kansas and many aspects will be a pain in the ass.  What advice or words of wisdom do you have? I enjoy old cars and NFA goodies in addition to regular AR15s.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the NFA rules on base, but I seem to have heard that MD is not as terrible at NFA toys as they are on the "regular ARs."

The answer all depends on cost - if you have a bucket of cash, living in or near Old Town is a viable commute. Other than that, the idea of commuting to Andrews from VA makes me queasy.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can live in Virginia your life would be easier
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I know quite  few folks who live near Dahlgren, VA and commute up 301.... but it's a traffic crapshoot.  Nice area to live, though, and fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for Alexandria, Huntington, Belleview, Franconia, Rose Hill, etc.  Just on other side of bridge. About 20 min to Andrews. Traffic not too bad. You are mostly going against traffic.

Problem with Dahlgren is your are against traffic until about Waldorf then a parking lot until Andrews. Plus $6 a day for the Nice bridge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go for Alexandria, Huntington, Belleview, Franconia, Rose Hill, etc.  Just on other side of bridge. About 20 min to Andrews. Traffic not too bad. You are mostly going against traffic.

Problem with Dahlgren is your are against traffic until about Waldorf then a parking lot until Andrews. Plus $6 a day for the Nice bridge.
View Quote

This is likely the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
What hours will she be working?

I live in Centreville and occasionally have to go to Andrews for work.  Now I try to arrive at Andrews about 6:30,  it's usually about a 50 minute drive.  Ride home in the afternoon is usually a bit longer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be a hell of a hike in terrible traffic everyday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greatly depends on time of day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmed.

Housing prices are going to suck though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My wife is looking at full time Air Guard jobs on Andrews for a few years in length. We would most likely sell our house in Kansas and rent on base.  Her job would be covered and I'd find something.  No children so schools aren't an issue.  D.C. was my first duty station but that was twenty- six years ago.Maybe after we are there awhile we would buy a place if it looks like a long stay.  Obviously D.C and Maryland suck, and I want my wife close to base so she doesn't have to suffer a long commute.  
I know this will be a big change compared to Kansas and many aspects will be a pain in the ass.  What advice or words of wisdom do you have? I enjoy old cars and NFA goodies in addition to regular AR15s.
View Quote

I'm now at Andrews and live in Woodbridge, VA.  I wanted VA for the same reasons you mention above.  On a good day the 33 mile commute takes 45 minutes using the normal I95 lanes.  If you have deep pockets you can use the I95 Express lanes at the tune of about $12 going north in the AM and then another $9 headed south in the afternoon - but they will shave 20 minutes off the commute.  Best time for the 33 miles has been 39 minutes door-to-door.  I think the real trick is avoiding I95 to the best of your ability - if you get on I495 N/E you will typically be going in the opposite direction of traffic.  It is living south of DC and using I95 that causes all the problems.

Unless you live on base at Andrews the minimum commute time is 30 to 35 minutes.  Not sure if kids and schools factor into the deal at this point or not but that adds another level of pain to the decision.

Also, we have a 4000 sqft house for about $2500 a month in rent.  It seems the closer to the DC area you get the more you will spend on houses.  Talking to friends in the Alexandria area our house would easily rent for $4000 a month.  And houses and rentals go FAST here.  Heard a story of a landlord asking $2400 a month and renters wanted it so bad the bid up the rent to $3000 a month!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top