Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2016 10:24:47 PM EDT
My fiancee and I want to try hunting this year.  She grew up in Colorado, I grew up in Idaho, but neither of us hunted growing up (with the exception of me shooting a grouse...almost two decades ago).  I got a lifetime NRA membership recently (first time I have been an NRA member), and next thing you know we both have hunting licenses.  Does anyone have advice on places to go in the northern(ish) part of Virginia, and more importantly on where to learn how to clean a deer?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]

YouTube probably has some good videos showing how to do it.  It's not that bad of a job, but it's enough for me to never want to shoot two at one time ever again.

I have no idea of any places to hunt up that way.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of good info here:   http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/23_Deer_Hunting.html

In NOVA  you are probable looking at the national forest or a game lands.  Private property is really hard to find.

If you do the game lands, be very careful, lots of crazies out there.  National forest is not as bad.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Best public hunting around is probably quantico, because they limit how many people go into an area. Plus if your military you get priority.  It is shotgun only, slug only. I also know of Fort AP hill. Thompsons Wildlife Management area exit 19 on 66 headed west. (however its way over crowded. Phelps wildlife management area down going towards culpepper (never hunted it)   That's pretty much everything. Unless you get on the Fairfax control hunts, or have friend with Private land.   I do have some private land I go to down going towards Winchester, but most of my hunting is in West Virginia.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Send me a message if you feel like traveling.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The Fairfax archery program is great, but it's for bowhunters only...They may be able to take a few more but I think they're using the standby list to finialize groups. Usually you apply for this program on 1 June or so.

Civilians can hunt quantico and I think they can also hunt at Fort Belvoir...but I believe Belvoir is archery only.
There's WMAs but they're super crowded and deer are very pressured.

Everything is on YouTube. Watch a bunch of videos to learn different field dressing techniques. They're also some great videos on how to process into roasts, steaks and other cuts.

I hunted my first 3 years in Florida and never got a deer. I got 4 deer my first hunting season (2014/5) in VA and only 1 last year (freezer was full).
There are a ridiculous amount of deer in NOVA and harvest limits are very generous compared to other states.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Fairfax archery program is great, but it's for bowhunters only...They may be able to take a few more but I think they're using the standby list to finialize groups. Usually you apply for this program on 1 June or so.

Civilians can hunt quantico and I think they can also hunt at Fort Belvoir...but I believe Belvoir is archery only.
There's WMAs but they're super crowded and deer are very pressured.

Everything is on YouTube. Watch a bunch of videos to learn different field dressing techniques. They're also some great videos on how to process into roasts, steaks and other cuts.

I hunted my first 3 years in Florida and never got a deer. I got 4 deer my first hunting season (2014/5) in VA and only 1 last year (freezer was full).
There are a ridiculous amount of deer in NOVA and harvest limits are very generous compared to other states.

View Quote

Don't waste your time at the WMA's in the northern part of Virginia.  The hunting there is terrible.  I spent two years of futile effort hunting the northern WMAs.  The only reason I have been able to have hunting success is a friend just happened to mention her family owned a huge farm and would be willing to let me hunt it.

If you are going to hunt in NoVA, you really need to find a contact with private land you can hunt.  Parts of eastern Loudoun and Fairfax county can be tricky to gun hunt (either due to local firearms ordinances or just small size), so archery hunting in these areas is often an easier proposition.

As for field dressing a deer, I taught myself how to do it from reading books and watching YouTube videos.  Steve Rinella (MeatEater TV show) has a good video out there and a good book on hunting.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Private land is indeed the key.  Unless you have a friend who will let you hunt, try to get into a club that shares a lease.  That will also give you a chance to learn from others who have experience.  Deer hunting is harder than it seems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Private land is often used up or off limits.  There are somedays  I seriously think about rescinding hunting permission, it's just hard to find hunters that truly value land and game...even "friends" will let you down.  We seriously have some identity issues to overcome if sportsmen want private lands to hunt. New this year, the state parks are open to hunt.  Considering locations and hunting opportunities that $15 may be well spent $.

http://wtvr.com/2016/08/30/virginia-state-parks-offering-hunting-opportunities-state-wide/

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Guys,

All the responses and PMs are very much appreciated, and I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to all of you yet.  Another question: about how much does it cost (+/-) to get a deer processed here in VA? I live in a tiny apartment and don't have the space, time, or skill to do something like that myself.

Thanks!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Linthicum meats does it for $75. I'm not really happy with their cuts. They do a quick job with bandsaw and don't take their time to trim off fat.

Honestly, it's not that hard to skin and cut up a deer into roasts.
You could do skin and butcher it in the field and bring back just the quarters, tenderloins and backstraps.
Then you could debone and cut the quarters into roasts/steaks in your apartment kitchen.

Watch a few YouTube videos and save yourself a ton of cash, especially if you get multiple deer.
All you really need is a boning/fillet knife, hefty trashbags (to bring back from field) and ziplock bags (final cuts for freezer storage).
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyone here has property I can hunt deer on, I'd love to work something out. I live in Nokesville, can travel a bit and I shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Guys,

All the responses and PMs are very much appreciated, and I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to all of you yet.  Another question: about how much does it cost (+/-) to get a deer processed here in VA? I live in a tiny apartment and don't have the space, time, or skill to do something like that myself.

Thanks!

View Quote

I pay about $90 for a deer at Mark's Butcher Shop in Hamilton, VA.  This usually includes a portion of the ground being turned into sausage, which increases the cost a bit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I have found private lands very easy to find. I hunt plenty of back yards in Vienna (outside the town), Oakton, etc. You just have to gently ask around. I was at my son's boyscout meeting and some of the people were complaining about deer in their yards. I say, "I can help you with that, if you like." Starts from there. Tons of people back to woods and hate the deer. Some of my best hunting grounds are 1/4 acre parcels.

See below. Vienna, near Beaulah road. That's an 11 point buck.

Also a +1 to Mark's Butcher shop in Hamilton. 35 minute drive from Vienna but it means I have a deer so there's always a smile on my face. They always do a great job.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I pay about $90 for a deer at Mark's Butcher Shop in Hamilton, VA.  This usually includes a portion of the ground being turned into sausage, which increases the cost a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

Thanks!

+1 to Marks. He is who I use as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If anyone here has property I can hunt deer on, I'd love to work something out. I live in Nokesville, can travel a bit and I shoot suppressed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have found private lands very easy to find. I hunt plenty of back yards in Vienna (outside the town), Oakton, etc. You just have to gently ask around. I was at my son's boyscout meeting and some of the people were complaining about deer in their yards. I say, "I can help you with that, if you like." Starts from there. Tons of people back to woods and hate the deer. Some of my best hunting grounds are 1/4 acre parcels.

Also a +1 to Mark's Butcher shop in Hamilton. 35 minute drive from Vienna but it means I have a deer so there's always a smile on my face. They always do a great job.

-Stooxie

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5497/30236504552_d9515c61b2_c.jpg

View Quote

Well done!  Bow?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, archery. Can't do much else in Fairfax County. This was a number of years ago, but that back yard filled my freezer a number of times.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]
At this point, we just need to release breeding pairs of mountains lions and wolves into Fairfax County.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

At this point, we just need to release breeding pairs of mountains lions and wolves into Fairfax County.
View Quote

I'd prefer wild hogs ;)

Back on topic, every day I find more and more "closet" hunters. It's just not so popular to talk about cuz of all the liberals in NoVA. Every now and again I'll see someone sneaking a climbing stand into his car or wearing a camo hat and I'll inquire. Sure enough, they hunt.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Private land for sure.

Marks Butcher Shop by a mile in Hamilton. Hands down.  Just took one last Wednesday - ready to go Friday.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Stooxie

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5497/30236504552_d9515c61b2_c.jpg

View Quote

What are the laws around crossbow hunting in a residential neighborhood in Fairfax County (McLean specifically)? A friend of mine has a bunch of deer that are constantly eating his flowers and he wouldn't mind if I "take care of them".
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What are the laws around crossbow hunting in a residential neighborhood in Fairfax County (McLean specifically)? A friend of mine has a bunch of deer that are constantly eating his flowers and he wouldn't mind if I "take care of them".
View Quote

Virginia makes no distinction between a crossbow and any other kind of archery with ONE exception: You just need to make sure you buy the crossbow option on the license. Other than that, nothing. Fairfax County has no other restrictions.

All the other regulations apply, like making sure you have permission from property owners, including ones where a deer is likely to pile up. If the deer ends up on County land (woods, whatever), just go get it. (I've been told that directly from the county biologist.)

Go get those deer!

-stooxie
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Virginia makes no distinction between a crossbow and any other kind of archery with ONE exception: You just need to make sure you buy the crossbow option on the license. Other than that, nothing. Fairfax County has no other restrictions.

All the other regulations apply, like making sure you have permission from property owners, including ones where a deer is likely to pile up. If the deer ends up on County land (woods, whatever), just go get it. (I've been told that directly from the county biologist.)

Go get those deer!

-stooxie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go get those deer!

-stooxie

To use a crossbow, you need the ARCHERY license.  there is no crossbow option.??

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

To use a crossbow, you need the ARCHERY license.  there is no crossbow option.??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go get those deer!

-stooxie

They used to be separate licenses.  I don't think they are anymore.  I always buy the combined sportsman's license anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Hmmm, maybe they did change it. In prior years you had to have resident deer and either archery or crossbow.

Either way, as with all things, as long as the government collects their fee, all is well!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe they changed it when they separated out the bear tags.    

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Remember that was brought to you at the request of the bear hunting association.  They don't like deer hunters shooting "their" bears.  Better to get Bubba and Billy Bob and tree the bear with a pack of dogs then shoot it with a pistol.  Much more sporting that way
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm still pissed about that change.  If they had dropped the turkey/deer tag cost so as to truly separate the tags, then okay.  But to simply jack up the cost to the hunter really irks me.

In my case, it's all the principle since I've never seen any bear sign in the areas I hunt, and since I hunt solo I'd need to think twice before shooting a bear.  Shootin's the easy part and all that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm still pissed about that change.  If they had dropped the turkey/deer tag cost so as to truly separate the tags, then okay.  But to simply jack up the cost to the hunter really irks me.

In my case, it's all the principle since I've never seen any bear sign in the areas I hunt, and since I hunt solo I'd need to think twice before shooting a bear.  Shootin's the easy part and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As dickish as the VBHA is by throwing hunters under bus with absurd claims to the VDGIF, there is a lesson to be learned.  They are well organized and engaged and got 3 of their 4 requests pertaining to bear hunting passed.  They have regular meetings with the VDGIF now, ya think they won't keep expanding their agenda?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go get those deer!

-stooxie

Sorry, I meant are there any regulations about archery in residential areas. I've got the archery/crossbow license and everything and have been out once so far this season. Just didn't know if it's ok for me to just set up a tree stand in the middle of my buddy's .25 acre backyard. I know firearms you have to be a certain distance from houses. No rules like that for archery?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#31]
See for yourself:

The biggest challenge with small lots is that the deer is GOING to die on someone else's property (or county land). You need to make sure you have permission to be traipsing around the neighborhood at night with a flashlight. Discretion is key.

-Stooxie

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top