Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 5:50:08 PM EDT

The extended family and I have rented a beach house on Va Beach in August.

I hate just sitting around and we're looking for a sporting clay course or Trap field; if any are reasonably close (within an hours drive).

Thanks.

PS...this is our first trip to the area so any other must see and child friendly places are appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Oceana Naval Station has one.  

http://www.discovermwr.com/thingstodo/skeetandtraprange.html

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Powell's Sporting Clays in Currituck NC. That's about the closest one I can think of.

http://www.ncagr.gov/ncproducts/ShowSite.asp?ID=101969

For kids there is the VA aquarium and next door to it is Ocean Breeze Fun Park on General Booth Blvd and the Military Aviation Museum out in Pungo. I think you can still visit the old Cape Henry lighthouse on Fort Story, but I'm not 100% sure. There are several boat tours at Rudee Inlet at the VA Beach fishing center. The Rudee Rocket is a speed boat tour.

The USS Wisconsin is in Downtown Norfolk next door to Nauticus, the maritime museum. You can take a cruise on the Victory Rover which ties up in front of Nauticus and get a narrated tour of the Navy Base and harbor.

Downtown Hampton has the VA Air and Space Museum and Newport News has the VA Living Museum and the Mariner's Museum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]

The Oceana range is good and has trap, skeet, wobble trap, and five stand.  Here is one you will pass on your way to VB.

Old Forge Sporting Clays
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58092-d2310792-Reviews-Old_Forge_Sporting_Clays-Providence_Forge_Virginia.html

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess most serious trap facilities have some gun spec rules, but I know from experience that you shouldn't take a saiga 12 to Oceana.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not?  As long as there wasnt more than 2 in the gun whats the problem?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe Oceana Naval Station has one.  

http://www.discovermwr.com/thingstodo/skeetandtraprange.html

View Quote

I shot skeet here when I was 12 back in '88. I remember it being close to the base. I also took my hunter safety course there too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks, guys!

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Oceana skeet and Trap is GTG!
So, depending on where you're staying, it could be fun. Honestly, If you're staying in Sandbridge, I would suggest staying there, enjoy the beach and visit the State park at the south end, bordering NC. If you're staying at VaBeach "Proper", either South End/ North End, then everything is the magical 20mins away.
I grew up on 79th st, If you're staying in numbered streets below 41st, then you're in the South End. Come up to the North End, the beach is wider, less people, but less parking- get there before 11am. Keep your beverages discreet, no glass.
Visit the 64th st entrance to Seashore State Park/ aka First Landing State Park.(parking fee around $5)  Numerous walking trails in welcoming woods/ Spanish moss too; opens to the Broad Bay (at the Narrows) branch of Lynnhaven River. There is a parking lot 1.5 miles at distal end with a nice beach and boat ramps.
The Virginia Aquarium is cool but the outdoor obstacle  course in the trees is cooler! You wear a harness and navigate a course 30ft up.
Hope you like Seafood... There are amazing places to eat, some look like hole in the walls, but GTG!
I could go on and on, but you have a limited time, and sometimes it's best to just relax and get your toes sandy.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oceana skeet and Trap is GTG!
So, depending on where you're staying, it could be fun. Honestly, If you're staying in Sandbridge, I would suggest staying there, enjoy the beach and visit the State park at the south end, bordering NC. If you're staying at VaBeach "Proper", either South End/ North End, then everything is the magical 20mins away.
I grew up on 79th st, If you're staying in numbered streets below 41st, then you're in the South End. Come up to the North End, the beach is wider, less people, but less parking- get there before 11am. Keep your beverages discreet, no glass.
View Quote

We're staying between Shipps Bay / North Bay on Sandfiddler Road if that helps at all...

For those of you who are in the KNOW, is there a preferred route to go from Hampton south across the bay? I've heard that one of the tunnels (not sure if it's 64 or 664) can be backed up for hours. And traveling with a two year old at the end of a 9 hour drive, I'd rather not have to sit in traffic. So any alternate routes/detours would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going to guess you are already on your way.  64 tunnel can be a mess, just watch for the signs.  the 664 tunnel is a bit longer but may be better.   No real way to get around down here on Saturday that is good.  

By the way,  You are staying right in front of where I live.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am going to guess you are already on your way.  64 tunnel can be a mess, just watch for the signs.  the 664 tunnel is a bit longer but may be better.   No real way to get around down here on Saturday that is good.  

View Quote

It takes me 10 minutes to get to baja on the boat
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great! Is your boat big enough to ferry a Ford Raptor across? Our house is right on the ocean so you should be able to drop us off right in front!

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
If you need suggestions of activites let me know.

By the way, gonna be a really hot week.   Mostly way over 100 heat index.

Drink lots of water.....

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great! Is your boat big enough to ferry a Ford Raptor across? Our house is right on the ocean so you should be able to drop us off right in front!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I dont think so.  I only have a 20' skiff.  Let me know if you want to meet up at baja for a beer though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top