Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 6:40:33 PM EDT
In a 4-3 decision Friday, The Supreme Court said it "respectfully disagrees" with McAuliffe's assertion that he has the executive power to make such a broad restoration of rights.
Story:
link
Decision:
Link
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Boo yeah and Fuck Terry McAsshole.  

I still wish the General Assembly had that 1 vote needed to overturn his votes.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonderful!!! I was pretty pissed about this and am glad to see it's over.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

He said the other day before the ruling he would sign them 1 at at time if he had to.
Here's the question, do laws require being signed by a pen or could he in just sign off 200,000 letters in mass via Adobe?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He said the other day before the ruling he would sign them 1 at at time if he had to.

Here's the question, do laws require being signed by a pen or could he in just sign off 200,000 letters in mass via Adobe?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, the back log is long and it takes about one year for the case to be reviewed and then approved. So hopefully not in time for November
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This makes me grin ear to ear.

FTM
FMH
FRN
FHRC
FTK
FMW
FBHO
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I read in an article McAwful said he would just pardon them all if the court ruled against him, but not sure if he is going to follow through with that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Amazing how the Demonrats are working to expand the rights of convicted felons, illegal aliens, and terrorists at the same time they are destroying the rights of law-abiding citizens.  That's today's Democrat party for you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
He is signing all of them individually.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Well looks like the Dems lost out on some votes...Don't worry folks the Dems have backup plans.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as he doesn't use an autopen.  How long would it take to sing 400,000 signatures?  

Might keep him from doing further damage to the commonwealth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Laws? Who cares? GOV McAuliffe ignores Supreme Court. He's going to individually pardon all felons so they can vote.

https://governor.virginia.gov/newsroom/newsarticle?articleId=16047
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn't a pardon also restore their gun rights?

Wonder if anybody has pointed this out to him or the press yet.

EDIT- sorry just read the link and it says nothing about a pardon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just posted this in GD but yes they can. Once the restoration is complete and assuming they are not violent offenders, they can petition the circuit court for a gun restoration.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just posted this in GD but yes they can. Once the restoration is complete and assuming they are not violent offenders, they can petition the circuit court for a gun restoration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He specifically did not include firearm restoration although that is within his purview. The letters will likely say specifically the right to vote and hold public office.

They could theoretically petition the courts after some time though.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

He specifically did not include firearm restoration although that is within his purview. The letters will likely say specifically the right to vote and hold public office.

View Quote
Some rights are more equal than others.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As long as he doesn't use an autopen.  How long would it take to sing 400,000 signatures?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He told WTOP he plans to use an auto-pen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can the VA Supreme Court shove his auto pen up his ass then break it off( ) or doesn't the law specify on how each petition must be signed?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can the VA Supreme Court shove his auto pen up his ass then break it off( ) or doesn't the law specify on how each petition must be signed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The State Supreme Court is unlikely to view further antics favorably.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By VaFish

Rob Bell and the rest of the Republicans in the House are said to be looking to sue him again if he doesn't review them individually.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is correct. There is not time limit that says you have to wait to petition, but I can imagine that someone who was convicted and petitioned in less than 5 years since the date of conviction, will be turned down.

However, once you have the restoration you are good to go, and could walk in and file the petition the same day. I was reading about this the other day when the mass amnesty came up, and the petition has a few fazes. First you go to the court of conviction or your new city circuit court office and pay for the petition, then you go home and fill out the petition and then mail or drop it off. Then the DA will sign off on it or object and then you eventually have a court day. At that time you (the petitioner) will state your case. Then it's the DA's turn and he will either object or will state he has no objections. Either way it's up to the judge in the end.

So if you go before a judge in a liberal town, chances are you will be denied on principle.

From what I understand he can't sign off on a mass amnesty of gun rights with the restoration of civil rights. Only a gubernatorial pardon can do that

That was the jist of what I read the other week, when several local DA's signed onto the lawsuit. They argued the mass amnesty was making their job a lot harder because they were seeing an increase in gun rights cases
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top