Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 10:53:08 PM EDT
Anybody know a good spot to hunt deer in NOVA? I'm in Arlington, but I'm willing to drive an hour or 2 for the right place. I'd be willing to even join a club if possible.

I grew up hunting deer in NC, and I've been driving there for the past 2 seasons since I moved to NOVA, but it's time for me to find something closer.

Edit: I'm looking for a place to rifle hunt; I'm not Robin Hood.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Bow or crossbow, sign up with a group that hunts in the parks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never been Robin Hood.

Rifle hunting MUCH preferred.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear the Phelps WMA can get busy; I've never hunted it, but I've driven through on Saturdays during rifle season and it didn't seem active at all, some parking lots had no vehicles, others just 1 or 2.  If you up for a terrain challenge that may yield better results if you put in the work and hit the high ground, the Rapidan WMA is remote and will have more bear and grouse.   Also check into the wineries, I've gotten invited to whack some DMAP deer in NOVA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Is rifle hunting in NOVA even allowed? I knew shotguns and bow was good but I did not think rifle was. I know outside of NOVA you can.

Sorry I am not a hunter so never really looked into it before.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
During hunter safety class instructor talked about Quantico http://www.quantico.marines.mil/Offices-Staff/GF-Installation-and-Environment/Natural-Resources-Environmental-Affairs/Quantico-Sportsman/Hunting/

Loudoun has rifle hunting in a specific western section.

Urban whitetail mgt groups may have slug, primarily bow so that residential areas can be utilized.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to get out to Loudon county for rifle hunting.  You also need to find private land since there really isn't any public hunting out there.  You can stomp around the national forest land too, but I haven't done that for about 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You have to get out to Loudon county for rifle hunting.  You also need to find private land since there really isn't any public hunting out there.  You can stomp around the national forest land too, but I haven't done that for about 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the national forest land allow rifle hunting? Because I ain't scared to put some miles in. I'll ruck up and take a climber into the woods with me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
G Thompson WMA out off of Rt 66 - weekends can get kinda crazy but weekdays are not too crowded and most "hunters" stay pretty close to the trails
You can also go further west and get into the National Forest - rifles are allowed and again you get back in to it a ways away from the trails and
you see less other hunters
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does the national forest land allow rifle hunting? Because I ain't scared to put some miles in. I'll ruck up and take a climber into the woods with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, NF and WMA allow firearms...actually it's just Fairfax and parts of Loudoun and Prince William I believe that have rifle restrictions in NOVA.  When you get into big time bubba hound hunting country these restrictions pick up again, and then back into limited lands in the 757.  If you want to hunt Rapidan WMA sometime, I'm going to try it out this year.  There are roads that you almost need a rock crawler to pass and it's not easy terrain so you lose most of the weekend warriors and fudds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, NF and WMA allow firearms...actually it's just Fairfax and parts of Loudoun and Prince William I believe that have rifle restrictions in NOVA.  When you get into big time bubba hound hunting country these restrictions pick up again, and then back into limited lands in the 757.  If you want to hunt Rapidan WMA sometime, I'm going to try it out this year.  There are roads that you almost need a rock crawler to pass and it's not easy terrain so you lose most of the weekend warriors and fudds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's getting pretty far out there, but I'd be interested in trying it. Send me an e-mail and I'll keep in contact as the season gets closer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe somebody should define what NOVA means.

I generally refer to NOVA as Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Arlington County. Throw in the City of Alexandria.

I guess maybe Stafford but most people I know who live there get insulted if you tell them they live in NOVA.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe somebody should define what NOVA means.

I generally refer to NOVA as Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Arlington County. Throw in the City of Alexandria.

I guess maybe Stafford but most people I know who live there get insulted if you tell them they live in NOVA.
View Quote

To me, Fredericksburg seems to be the line where the culture switches back to "southern" again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried a crossbow, they're cool and similar to shooting a rifle. With the urban archery season going from September all the way to March (I think) you can get a lot of hunting in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have you tried a crossbow, they're cool and similar to shooting a rifle. With the urban archery season going from September all the way to March (I think) you can get a lot of hunting in.
View Quote

I have considered it. Does Virginia treat them the same as bows, legally?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I bought a crossbow over the summer pretty much just because it's so hard to find a place to hunt with rifles around here. Thing is, I've never hunted with crossbows before. If anyone wants to go out and show me the ropes come September, let me know. Will pay you back with a nice bottle of bourbon or another beverage of your choosing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]
George Washington National Forest down by Warrenton probably your best bet.  Most likely if you want to actually kill a deer you will need to find a friend with some land or get on a hunting lease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top