Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2016 5:31:11 PM EDT
I'm looking for the brand and model(s) of approved Fairfax County PD service round for carry on- or off-duty. I'm not looking for caliber and handgun brand, I'm looking for the ammunition brand and model.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They used to carry the Sig P226 in 9MM with Federal 9BPLE 115 gr +P+.  But my information is a few years old.

I heard some hearsay about a year ago that they had or were going to upgrade to .40 cal Sigs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Long time friend of mine is FCPD.  I messaged him to find out their current duty weapon and ammo.  Will update this post when I find out.

ETA: Sig 226 in .40.  Ammo is Federal HST .40cal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wondering, are you buying into that old "you shoulda carry what your local PD carries because if you're ever in a shooting they won't try to say you used a super crazy killer bullet" stuff?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wondering, are you buying into that old "you shoulda carry what your local PD carries because if you're ever in a shooting they won't try to say you used a super crazy killer bullet" stuff?
View Quote

No, he's trying to frame a cop...duh!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
For the record, when I took the NRA Range's concealed carry class, there was an NRA attorney
that advised that if you had doubts as to what ammo to use, use what the local law enforcement uses.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see, he put a silly face there, so no repercussions.  You don't put the goofy faces, you get the repercussions.  I'm learning this is how it works.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Long time friend of mine is FCPD.  I messaged him to find out their current duty weapon and ammo.  Will update this post when I find out.

ETA: Sig 226 in .40.  Ammo is Federal HST .40cal.
View Quote

I can confirm, just asked a friend who is also a FCPD officer, SIG 229 in .40 S&W with 180 gr. Federal HST.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You see, he put a silly face there, so no repercussions.  You don't put the goofy faces, you get the repercussions.  I'm learning this is how it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see, I put a silly face there so no one would misconstrue my comment as being serious. If one doesn't put the goofy faces, then overly sensitive drama llamas take the comment seriously. I learned how this works.

Context and sarcasm: It changes everything. Silly faces are meant to help convey the emotion behind the statement being made.

I'd bet a Pmag that you're so easily triggered because your sarcasm meter is in desperate need of calibration.

Your proctologist may be able to assist you with that... for a small fee, of course.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like I can say YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASSHOLE!

but I put the "joking" emogi after it so it's not a personal attack/CoC violation and you are not allowed to be offended...JERK

At work I've started signing my name to every document with "" just to cover my ass.

BTW- I thought OP just wanted to be a tier 1 poser
(see, I did it again!)
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

(see, I did it again!)
View Quote

If OP wants to be Tier 1, then he needs to pick up some of those high speed .177 made by Crosman
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For the record, when I took the NRA Range's concealed carry class, there was an NRA attorney
that advised that if you had doubts as to what ammo to use, use what the local law enforcement uses.
View Quote

This isn't bad advice.  Look, gun owners can carry what they want; for all I care, carry reloads or CCW a 22 caliber single action revolver; its your life; I'm not here to argue with your ammo choice.

But be aware that most police departments make careful selections as to their carry ammo.  Departments have more time, employees, and more of your money to spend researching ammo selection. They also have access to federal research on police defensive ammunition and recommendations.

There are usually good reasons why they do not carry the cheapest steel case ammo they can find while on patrol.   Departments also need to consider the police employee unions and officer morale in selecting the best ammo to protect officer lives.

So if you simply copy your local public safety officer's ammo choice, you stand a good chance of picking a decently effective self defense round.

I personally believe the 180grain HST would be as adequate as most other commonly available defensive pistol rounds for self defense use.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

but I put the "joking" emogi after it so it's not a personal attack/CoC violation and you are not allowed to be offended...JERK

At work I've started signing my name to every document with "" just to cover my ass.

(see, I did it again!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(see, I did it again!)

Well, I wish I was joking.  I got a warning for making a joke, in a joke thread, and was told it was for supporting or encouraging illegal activity.  I told the OP I was going to tenderly love his tires because he drives in the "slow, left lane".  He's from Australia.  Get it?  They drive on the left.  I never said I was going to do anything other than give sweet kisses to his tires, the mod just made his own assumptions that I was going to melt his tires with a blow torch, or something, all the way from VA.

Oh, and here's one for you.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Few years ago I was in Chipotle behind an old uniformed Ffx Co cop.  He had a wood handled revolver.  I was a bit surprised, but maybe he was a school cop or instructor-the Ffx Police academy is close to the restaurant.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Few years ago I was in Chipotle behind an old uniformed Ffx Co cop.  He had a wood handled revolver.  I was a bit surprised, but maybe he was a school cop or instructor-the Ffx Police academy is close to the restaurant.  
View Quote

Revolvers have not been issued or approved for on duty use in at least 25 years. The exception to this is higher ranking commanders while working admin duties. If you saw a Fairfax officer, in uniform, in the last few years, you most likely saw some major or deputy chief.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Revolvers have not been issued or approved for on duty use in at least 25 years. The exception to this is higher ranking commanders while working admin duties. If you saw a Fairfax officer, in uniform, in the last few years, you most likely saw some major or deputy chief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps he was on a white horse wearing a mask?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Buying and reading 'The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide' would be a better idea.

ALL Virginia lethal force law is case law.
For everyone.
Even the police.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe he was a fuck up and the whole gun was wood so that he couldn't hurt himself.  

edited to add emoji
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he was a fuck up and the whole gun was wood so that he couldn't hurt himself.  

edited to add emoji

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Hehe- Barnie Fife.

For us older guys who grew up watching the show, that's really funny!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hehe- Barnie Fife.

For us older guys who grew up watching the show, that's really funny!
View Quote

Good 'ole one bullet Barney, as Andy called him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This isn't bad advice.  Look, gun owners can carry what they want; for all I care, carry reloads or CCW a 22 caliber single action revolver; its your life; I'm not here to argue with your ammo choice.

But be aware that most police departments make careful selections as to their carry ammo.  Departments have more time, employees, and more of your money to spend researching ammo selection. They also have access to federal research on police defensive ammunition and recommendations.

There are usually good reasons why they do not carry the cheapest steel case ammo they can find while on patrol.   Departments also need to consider the police employee unions and officer morale in selecting the best ammo to protect officer lives.

So if you simply copy your local public safety officer's ammo choice, you stand a good chance of picking a decently effective self defense round.

I personally believe the 180grain HST would be as adequate as most other commonly available defensive pistol rounds for self defense use.  YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not bad advice if you're talking about major places, some small-town places you'd be aghast at what they allow in 2016 even.  There are caveats to using the same amml as LE though because frequently they make choices to go with certain types of ammo because of a performance characteristic they want but that isn't what you'd want or need neccesarily.  So it's important to do your own research, though it's not a bad place to start.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

edited to add emoji
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited to add emoji

Desk pops are a right of passage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited to add emoji

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/32/83/f2/3283f2d31b64fa9333113063bdaf6cd7.jpg

He carries in 'Condition Fife.'

Empty gun with one round in his pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top