Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2016 10:36:25 PM EDT
I just got back into shooting and would like to have someone to shoot with. My dad and brother are both occasional shooters and go down to my Aunts place in Appomattox but I would like to find someone who lives in Lynchburg and would like to meet up and shoot some.

I unfortunately live in the city in a apartment so I do not have a place to shoot personally, but am planning on going to the indoor range since I don't know of anywhere else to go.

Anyone from Forest or Bedford or really the surrounding area's are welcome.

So if your interested in shooting with me, just let me know. If you have a place to shoot awesome, if not we can just go to the range in town. I will also invite you to come with us when we can go down to my aunts land and have a shooting day. I have not gone yet, but my brother goes every few months with his friends and they have a nice range and can use tannerite so that should be fun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll go! Unfortunately, my usual shooting spot is an hour away. I go to the indoor range a few times a year, though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you guys ever make it over Roanoke ways give me a holler. I'd be happy to take you out for a range trip.
We have pistol range, 100 meter, 500 meter, and most of the shotgun sports.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome, it looks like Grim is going to come out and shoot.

I also heard some good things about Issac Walton's range in Amherst
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you guys ever make it over Roanoke ways give me a holler. I'd be happy to take you out for a range trip.

View Quote

Are you a member of the range in Bedford? Seems like I remember you taking somebody there one time. I've been to that one once, but didn't get to shoot.  It was a nice place.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you a member of the range in Bedford? Seems like I remember you taking somebody there one time. I've been to that one once, but didn't get to shoot.  It was a nice place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where was this range? I know of one but it's owned by a state trooper.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just past Walmart going towards Lynchburg on the right. Almost right across from Lowe's.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club.
A bit of a drive for you guys, but as I mentioned, I'd be happy to take you for a day of shooting if you're ever out this way.
I have taken numerous forum members, and all seemed to have enjoyed themselves. Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell memberships  .
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just past Walmart going towards Lynchburg on the right. Almost right across from Lowe's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old JC field. Gotcha
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A bit of a drive for you guys, but as I mentioned, I'd be happy to take you for a day of shooting if you're ever out this way.

I have taken numerous forum members, and all seemed to have enjoyed themselves. Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell memberships  .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, gotcha! I might take you up on it sometime. Haven't been anywhere to shoot 500 meters in years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Shame there isn't something better than Issak Walton around Lynchburg.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While my house was being built last year, I spent a lot of time at that Lowes in Bedford. Occasionally, I'd hear multiple shots off in the distance when I was there and just figured someone was just shooting on their land.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

While my house was being built last year, I spent a lot of time at that Lowes in Bedford. Occasionally, I'd hear multiple shots off in the distance when I was there and just figured someone was just shooting on their land.
View Quote

I think it's called the Bedford Rifle and Revolver Club.  They have a long waiting list to join, I've heard.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think it's called the Bedford Rifle and Revolver Club.  They have a long waiting list to join, I've heard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is and it does. Basically the way I understood it, a member had to die before a spot would open up. Might be an extreme but close to the truth.

Anyone know if Issak Walton has a stupid rule about 1 round at a time in an AR? Buddy of mine joined awhile back and someone told him that. Didn't really sound like a real rule just some idiot talking.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Is shooting land really that hard to find around Lynchburg?  Seems like a lot of rural land and hilly backstop terrain abounds.  I understand LU even has an off campus gun range.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is shooting land really that hard to find around Lynchburg?  Seems like a lot of rural land and hilly backstop terrain abounds.  I understand LU even has an off campus gun range.

View Quote

LU is buying up and having donated to it, tons of land. Forest has seen a population growth explosion over the last 25 years using up a lot of land to build subdivisions. What land there is around Forest/Campbell county around Lynchburg is expensive.

My grandparents 12 ac off 221 got turned into The Gables apartments. You kind of have to know someone with land around here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome, it looks like Grim is going to come out and shoot.

I also heard some good things about Issac Walton's range in Amherst
View Quote

I.W. would not allow us to shoot a semi-auto rifle from a standing position the last time I went with a member.  I don't exactly mind shooting from a bench, but it's not all I want to do.  This may have changed since I was there a few years ago.

My in-laws own a farm in New London but I can't open up an invite without approval.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got back from shooting with Grim, and I had a blast. He's a really nice guy and an excellent marksmen. If you have a chance to go shooting with him, I highly recommend it.

As far as land around Lynchburg goes, it is pretty much what was posted. No shooting in the city and in Forest and Campbell co is being developed at a high rate. You pretty much need to know someone to be able to shoot privately there.

Amherst and Appomattox is a bit different as there are a lot of places that have land and the owners like to shoot, but again you have to know someone.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just got back from shooting with Grim, and I had a blast. He's a really nice guy and an excellent marksmen. If you have a chance to go shooting with him, I highly recommend it.

View Quote

Same here, man! Had a good time, and we'll definitely have to go again!

I've been able to shoot on a couple of pieces of land in Campbell and Bedford Counties, but it's when I've been with someone else who had permission to go there. I'd really like to find a place nearby, as my main shooting spot is an hour away. I've thought about getting on the list for the Bedford range.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Even Amherst is getting tough to find places to shoot unless you go way into Amherst.  Remember that Amherst has an ordinance that allows the county to restrict your ability to shoot on your own land if it's under 5ac.  Most newer subdivisions have covenant restrictions against "noxious activities".  It took me a really long time to find land to purchase where I could shoot and wanted to build.  Still haven't shot on it yet.  Was thinking about joining IW, but my primary intention would be to shoot ARs there.  Probably wouldn't join if they're stupidly restrictive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Even Amherst is getting tough to find places to shoot unless you go way into Amherst.  Remember that Amherst has an ordinance that allows the county to restrict your ability to shoot on your own land if it's under 5ac.  Most newer subdivisions have covenant restrictions against "noxious activities".  It took me a really long time to find land to purchase where I could shoot and wanted to build.  Still haven't shot on it yet.  Was thinking about joining IW, but my primary intention would be to shoot ARs there.  Probably wouldn't join if they're stupidly restrictive.
View Quote

I've been thinking more and more about joining a range around here.  There are only a couple that I can think of, IW and the one over in Bedford.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I have heard that SafeSide Tactical bought a building on Mayflower Dr in Lynchburg. It's suppose to be a gun store with an indoor range. Hopefully openning by Oct 2017.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have heard that SafeSide Tactical bought a building on Mayflower Dr in Lynchburg. It's suppose to be a gun store with an indoor range. Hopefully openning by Oct 2017.
View Quote

Sweet! I knew their lease was up on the building in Vinton but had no idea they were planning on moving a store to Lynchburg. This is great news.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

I hope this is true, it would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told this by an employee at the Salem store two weeks ago. He said they were really hoping to have it open by Oct of next year.

The weird thing is I was talking to one employee and asked if they had thought about openning anything in the Forest or Lynchburg area and he said no. Ten minutes later I mentioned to a different employee that I had driven from Forest/Lynchburg and he said, "Oh, We bought a building in Lynchburg on a street called Mayflower Drive. We're turning it into a store with a showroom, and a 25 yard indoor range."  I didn't even mention to him what the other employee said.

I was really hoping for a 100 yard indoor range like their Salem store is going o have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was told this by an employee at the Salem store two weeks ago. He said they were really hoping to have it open by Oct of next year.

The weird thing is I was talking to one employee and asked if they had thought about openning anything in the Forest or Lynchburg area and he said no. Ten minutes later I mentioned to a different employee that I had driven from Forest/Lynchburg and he said, "Oh, We bought a building in Lynchburg on a street called Mayflower Drive. We're turning it into a store with a showroom, and a 25 yard indoor range."  I didn't even mention to him what the other employee said.

I was really hoping for a 100 yard indoor range like their Salem store is going o have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might have to ride by sometime and see if I see it. It's pretty close by.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be amazing. I really hope that they end up doing it
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, their store is in Roanoke, not Salem  Only a couple minutes from downtown.  

And since they shut down the Vinton (Stewartsville) store, they will be losing a lot of my business.  It was close and convenient.  To hell with driving 25 minutes to the city, and fighting city traffic to get to the Roanoke store...

But best of luck to SS!  They are definitely the best LGS this town has ever had IMO...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top