Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2016 11:02:14 AM EDT
Advice is needed on top public high schools near Portsmouth, VA.

We are a family of five (three boys entering grades 12, 11, and 8). We will move from Collierville, TN (a suburb of Memphis) to VA in August. The job is in Portsmouth. We need to find a home in one of the best high school zones. We are leaving a school zone that is arguably the best public high school zone in western TN. We would like something comparable in terms of high school zoning. The kids are excellent students and overall well rounded. In short, at what high schools should we be looking?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You defiantly do not want to live n Portsmouth, even if you didn't have kids in school.  It's the poorest city in Hampton Roads with the most crime and the schools are shit. Check out Virginia Beach but stay far away from the Green Run area as it's the worst High-school in the city.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
P-town isnt exactly famous for its scholars.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
How about Hickory High?

Kellum?

Cox?

Edit:
The JOB is in Portsmouth.
I need to find a residence elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah Portsmouth is not a good town to live in and especially if you have children. its nothing but a ghetto I would look for  place about a hour or so away to drive to work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I work at NNSY, and I was briefed by the security officer that the shipyard is surrounded by neighbors who conduct all kinds of criminal activities. He said If my car breaks down in P-town, I should abandon the vehicle and run for help ASAP.
Try Greenbrier, Chesapeak area.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
As someone trying to sell a house in Portsmouth, I'd say avoid living there. It's circling the drain. There are perfectly nice sections of town and quiet areas to live, but I wouldn't want to put my kids through school here.

If you have to work in Portsmouth I'd say you want to live somewhere where you don't have to cross the HRBT or MMBT to get to work, nor go through a toll tunnel ten times a week. That means Suffolk, Isle of Wight or Chesapeake. I think Hickory or Grassfield High in Chesapeake might be what you're looking for. Not from personal experience though, that's just me looking at Google results.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about Hickory High?

Kellum?

Cox?

Edit:
View Quote

Hickory is probably the best out of those 3. With Kellum probably being the next best. The Hickory part of Chesapeake still has a little bit of a rural feel to it. It's also close to the state line. You should also avoid living where you have to go through one of the tunnels so you can avoid the tolls. Living in Chesapeake or Suffolk would do that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah Portsmouth is not a good town to live in and especially if you have children. its nothing but a ghetto I would look for  place about a hour or so away to drive to work.
View Quote

That's a little excessive IMO. Traffic and construction can make that hour drive closer to 2 hours or more. There are many places less than an hour from P-Town that are just fine to live in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out the Western Branch or the Deep Creek areas of Chesapeake. Both areas are about 15 to 20 minutes from NNSY
if that's where you're headed. I think Chesapeake Schools may be O.K. Don't even think about going thru any of the tunnels. On the other hand, some might say disregard  my advice since I've lived in Portsmouth since 1955 and never been shot, stabbed, robbed, had my car or house broken into or been a victim of other crimes. I worked at NNSY for 35 years and was glad every day that I didn't have to go thru any tunnels or over any bridges. A last point to keep in mind, it has been my observation that around this area any large block of apartments or single family rentals bring an increase in crime.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I work at NNSY, and I was briefed by the security officer that the shipyard is surrounded by neighbors who conduct all kinds of criminal activities. He said If my car breaks down in P-town, I should abandon the vehicle and run for help ASAP.
Try Greenbrier, Chesapeak area.
View Quote

I'm mad now. I didn't get that heads up when I started at NNSY 6 years ago but my Google-fu is strong and it became very apparent how bad Portsmouth is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Watch out for the mayor.....he runs from cops and gets away with it
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Depending on where you'll be working in P-town, VA Beach isn't too bad as far as the commute. Jump on I64 and take the Jordan bridge. The only issue is you have to pay a toll.

Definitely don't live in Portsmouth.

The ideal commute is to avoid bridges, tunnels, I64 and I264. Which isn't really practical or realistic.

What ever you do, don't live in Portsmouth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Virginia Beach is your answer.  Cox & FC
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have lived in Portsmouth for twenty two years.

I live on the river, my neighbors are judges, lawyers, retired NFL players, and ordinary everyday people.

Choose the area wisely, Churchland and a couple of other areas are fine.

My kids went to private schools.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have lived in Portsmouth for twenty two years.

I live on the river, my neighbors are judges, lawyers, retired NFL players, and ordinary everyday people.

Choose the area wisely, Churchland and a couple of other areas are fine.

My kids went to private schools.

View Quote

Churchland is slowly becoming a dump........Peachtree, the entire area around Brandon Lane, etc........all crap.

You'e safe maybe if you live at River Pointe, or right on the river on the far end of Rivershore..........but the closer you get to Brandon Lane or Peachtree, the worse off you are.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup. I have friends that live in West Park View and the hood is slowly encroaching. Most of them are planning on moving out of Portsmouth soon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Hickory or Grassfield, do your kids a favor.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Move out to southampton........all you gotta worry about then is tornado's and the occasional deer thats embraced the thug life lol

Much quieter west of the weight scales on 58 anyway lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Suffolk is an easy commute too.

NSA is an excellent private school.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I graduated from Kellam  20+ years ago it was an excellent school.  Well unless you like football, the varsity team never won a single game the three and a half years I was their, go knights....  My wife on the other hand graduated from gang run, she is now a Dr. and Plexico Burress used to try to cheat off of her in drama class.   They beat us 55-0 on our homecoming game one year.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Move out to southampton........all you gotta worry about then is tornado's and the occasional deer thats embraced the thug life lol

View Quote

I ride from Southampton to nnsy everyday. It's well fucking worth not living in that shit hole.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Chesapeake is one of the most affordable areas with some of the best schools.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
well that's your choice to live and the ghetto and worry about being a statistic. plus for your children to go to school in those surrounds is also not a good thing and if you want to give them a better education then you would have to enroll into private school for them. where I live people always drive over an hour away or more to commute to work for their children's safety and education and also not living in that type of environment. no don't get me wrong no matter where you live there will always be crime but living in the middle of bad neighborhood or a crime riddled city will always increase your odds more.

Quoted:

That's a little excessive IMO. Traffic and construction can make that hour drive closer to 2 hours or more. There are many places less than an hour from P-Town that are just fine to live in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
well that's your choice to live and the ghetto and worry about being a statistic. plus for your children to go to school in those surrounds is also not a good thing and if you want to give them a better education then you would have to enroll into private school for them. where I live people always drive over an hour away or more to commute to work for their children's safety and education and also not living in that type of environment. no don't get me wrong no matter where you live there will always be crime but living in the middle of bad neighborhood or a crime riddled city will always increase your odds more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I live 55 miles from work and it takes exactly an hour to get to work every day. Also the shipyard has a vanpool program and one of the benefits of working there is they pay for your commute. I don't worry about traffic, parking, or the cost of gas. Also I don't have to live in Portsmouth.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd suggest the Western Branch area. My kiddo went to Western Branch High and did well. There are nice houses in the area. I've seen folks in my neighborhood put their kids on a bus to Nanesmond-Suffolk Academy and it supposedly gets high marks as well. WB isn't all that far from Portsmouth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about Hickory High?

Kellum?

Cox?

Edit:
View Quote

All three of those are GTG, Cox grad here. Was one of the best schools in the state many years ago.
stick to VB or Chesapeake
Say no to norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, and portsmouth schools

Avoid Green Run, Salem, Bayside, and tallwood in VB
Chesapeake has some bad ones too but I don't know which ones:
Hickory and Great Bridge are pretty good.

Also Suffolk might have one or two OK schools
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Also the drive to portsmouth is bad, stick to Chesapeake or suffolk for commute
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I graduated from Kellam  20+ years ago it was an excellent school.  Well unless you like football, the varsity team never won a single game the three and a half years I was their, go knights....  My wife on the other hand graduated from gang run, she is now a Dr. and Plexico Burress used to try to cheat off of her in drama class.   They beat us 55-0 on our homecoming game one year.
View Quote

I'm sure I played against you in high school. I had to handle plexico 1 on 1 for 3 years as a free safety.
I vaguely remember playing Kellam, we used to Mooo running out on the field since those days it really was straight farm country, but so was much of the beach. My family has a farm off Indian River, just trees now though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I ride from Southampton to nnsy everyday. It's well fucking worth not living in that shit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe me when I worked at "Shitington" Ingalls it was well worth. Especially taking the JRB at 3:30 was enough to make a man out of anyone trying to cross it at that particular time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm sure I played against you in high school. I had to handle plexico 1 on 1 for 3 years as a free safety.

I vaguely remember playing Kellam, we used to Mooo running out on the field since those days it really was straight farm country, but so was much of the beach. My family has a farm off Indian River, just trees now though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh don't get me wrong I didn't play,  I had a job from about 15 on.  I liked having money more than playing sports.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks to all!
You have been a big help.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Chesapeake schools are the most sought after in the region.  Hickory area is fine, semi-rural I guess you could call it.  I can't repeat it enough, you do NOT want your kids in the Norfolk/Portsmouth school systems.  Va Beach is fine, in certain areas.  Southern Chesapeake is where it's at, great bridge area is pretty good, not so much if you head further into the Deep Creek area.  To stay outta the trash you're gonna have to plan on a drive.  Bridges, tunnels, and tolls everywhere ya want to go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All three of those are GTG, Cox grad here. Was one of the best schools in the state many years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about Hickory High?

Kellum?

Cox?

Edit:

More like "Gang Run".  One of the schools/areas our realtor specifically drove us past and told us to stay out of when we moved here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I just called into a person working in Virginia beach schoolls..,   I Asked them your question.
Virginia beach not in any order
Cox
First colonial
Kellam
Long commute,  best schools

They said Chesapeake has a few that compare very well in her opinion . As of 5 years ago she knew these were stand outs in the city. When they lived there.
Less commute and a decent mix of housings type.
Great bridge HS
Hickory HS

Feel free to IM me. I have a contact in the administration for VA Beach.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I went to First Colonial HS back in the day and didn't think it was all that good of a school. Recently, I went back to VB to go to a show with an old friend from my high school days. While touring our old stomping grounds, we ended up at FC - man that place looks exactly the same as when we were there in the 90's I wonder if they've even painted it since then. Based on memory, I would think that Kellam and Cox would be better high schools in VB.

A couple years ago, I worked on a project for Western Branch HS in Chesapeake - they put several solar panel arrays on the roof of the school and finished earlier this year. I was impressed with that school when I did a site visit there to check the roof structure. It would also be a shorter commute from that area to P-Town.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Agreed with much of what has already been said. Former Portsmouth PD here. Stay out.

If the job is in Portsmouth the best commute will be avoiding bridges/tunnels. Primetime congestion adds SEVERAL minutes per day, every day. That narrows it down to Suffolk and Chesapeake. I would search these two cities and then decide if you want to broaden your search to Virginia Beach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top