Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2016 7:50:22 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Looking to get y'alls feedback on a website I made for Hampton Roads shooters: http://www.hrshootersguide.com

Backstory:
I basically became the hub of information in regards to action shooting competitions (IDPA, USPSA, etc.) since I was pretty active in shooting them. I would come across shooters in training classes that wanted to try more competitions and had to send them to various local competition websites or facebook pages just to get the information. Eventually I would just have to tell them about it myself because they can't "find the information". It has evolved to shooting ranges and will eventually have info on gun stores/tactical stores as well.

Reasons for making:
- Dispel any misinformation about the competitions themselves
- one stop shop for schedule, scores, "announcements" in regards to said competitions
- all encompassing website for tourist, military members moving in, people coming into the area for work temporarily, etc.
- Quick responses to questions in regards to shooting community

It's kind of overwhelming right now so could use some feedback on it in case I missed anything. THANKS!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks ok from a quick peek; Win10 and Chrome and Edge show a bit of padding or sizing problem with the right side of the scrolling window on the right hand side of the browser's window. It works fine, but I get the sense it's chopped off a bit on the right.  Is that you on pg. 1?

Are all your event submissions and "places to buy stuff" info going to come in through the one contact form?  Gonna sell banner ads or sponsor visibility?

I'm sure I'll think of more.  Not to be mean; it's a damn fine site and I see no reason why it won't grow and be useful.  

Kudos!  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it.

Maybe add a section for new residents / military on a summary of laws concerning everything from CHL & NFA to questions like "can I shoot in my backyard?" might be useful.

Maybe get VCDL and other resources permission to link to their sites?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks ok from a quick peek; Win10 and Chrome and Edge show a bit of padding or sizing problem with the right side of the scrolling window on the right hand side of the browser's window. It works fine, but I get the sense it's chopped off a bit on the right.  Is that you on pg. 1?

Are all your event submissions and "places to buy stuff" info going to come in through the one contact form?  Gonna sell banner ads or sponsor visibility?

I'm sure I'll think of more.  Not to be mean; it's a damn fine site and I see no reason why it won't grow and be useful.  

Kudos!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kudos!  

Yeah I found sizing issues as well on other browsers and platforms. Don't know how to address it quite yet since it's only specific browsers/OS combinations.

As of right now it's going to all come through one email I have on the "Contact Page". I work in sales and pretty much live on my phone when not in the office. I can get back to questions and concerns rather quickly but if it ends up being too much, I can have friends pick up the workload.

I never thought about banner ads or sponsor visibility. I'll cross that road when it comes to it. Main focus is getting people to the website and filling it with content. Getting more people out to shoot!

Thanks for the input!

Quoted:
Is that you on pg. 1?

Does that person owe you money?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like it.

Maybe add a section for new residents / military on a summary of laws concerning everything from CHL & NFA to questions like "can I shoot in my backyard?" might be useful.

Maybe get VCDL and other resources permission to link to their sites?
View Quote

Good idea. Maybe a "New to the area?" link of some sort. Makes sense to add the CHL and NFA stuff for those moving into VA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
As a helpful side note, the MCX off Terminal Blvd. is now accepting Va. CCW licenses as a form of ID for firearms purchases.  This is a recent change, as they previously did not allow them.  Don't know if Langley or the USCG Exchange does...
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As a helpful side note, the MCX off Terminal Blvd. is now accepting Va. CCW licenses as a form of ID for firearms purchases.  This is a recent change, as they previously did not allow them.  Don't know if Langley or the USCG Exchange does...
View Quote

Not to get to side tracked on this, but I wonder why they didn't accept it as a secondary form of ID when it's a city issued license.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Site looks good!  Bookmarked for later use.

I am not really down that way as often as I once was, but having information about competitions could make it easier for me to make a trip from Richmond. Part of the difficulty is just knowing what exists and when.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top