Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 6:50:55 AM EDT
Tidewater friends - I will be headed to VA Beach this weekend for a huge wrestling tournament my son will be participating in.  I LOVE VA Beach, but know how congested 64 through the construction and the tunnels is going to be this weekend.  Do you have any better driving suggestions for me?

I will be leaving Berryville around 9:00 AM Friday, I know VDOT is suggesting 295 to 460, but I keep wondering if there is a more stress free solution.  I’m thinking about either taking 17 to Norfolk then VA Beach, but have never taken 17 further south than Gloucester.  My other idea was to take 30 through West Point, take the ferry at Jamestown and make my way to 460 or 17.  BTW will be riding the motorcycle.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If you come down 17, you still go thru the bridge tunnel....

I like 460, it is thru a bunch of small towns and very pleasant to drive.

Also, traffic inside the beach all weekend will be a disaster.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Good point, I should have been more specific.  Thinking 17 to Bartlett then coming in on the east side of Norfolk.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tidewater friends - I will be headed to VA Beach this weekend for a huge wrestling tournament my son will be participating in.  I LOVE VA Beach, but know how congested 64 through the construction and the tunnels is going to be this weekend.  Do you have any better driving suggestions for me?

I will be leaving Berryville around 9:00 AM Friday, I know VDOT is suggesting 295 to 460, but I keep wondering if there is a more stress free solution.  I’m thinking about either taking 17 to Norfolk then VA Beach, but have never taken 17 further south than Gloucester.  My other idea was to take 30 through West Point, take the ferry at Jamestown and make my way to 460 or 17.  BTW will be riding the motorcycle.

What do you guys think?
View Quote

Depending on what time you go through windsor you may spot me.......going into the gunstore XD

But, if you dont want to take 460 and its dangerous no median drive I'd suggest if at all possible hitting 95 South to route 35, hook up with 58 in courtland and ride 58 the rest of the way. 35 is scenic.......more to say a back road.

Then again it may be out of the way for you since I don't know where Berryville is myself lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good point, I should have been more specific.  Thinking 17 to Bartlett then coming in on the east side of Norfolk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think your compass is broken....

The JRB james river bridge can also be a nightmare.  Once you get to Newport News, pay attention to the traffic alerts and pick one of the 3 crossings to the south side.    Leaving at 9 am you will be here by 12:30 or 1.  You should have no issues at that time of day.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is my route for VA Beach; I'm looking forward to taking some time and having a nice ride, what do you think? I have never taken a motorcycle on the ferry, should be fun. Let me know if I have missed something.

VA Beach
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is my route for VA Beach; I'm looking forward to taking some time and having a nice ride, what do you think? I have never taken a motorcycle on the ferry, should be fun. Let me know if I have missed something.

VA Beach
View Quote

I just saved you time lol
Less Time
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have family members leaving Arlington at 1:00pm.  I'm staying home or traveling local.  Waiting to hear epic stories of 7 hour drives.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have family members leaving Arlington at 1:00pm.  I'm staying home or traveling local.  Waiting to hear epic stories of 7 hour drives.
View Quote

Disaster in the making.....Remember that 64 is under construction for about  8 miles in Newport News.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[
Less Time
View Quote

I might be in for this.  What is Rt. 10 like, stop and go, or can I keep moving?  I don't mind back roads (in fact I like them) but don't want to be stuck in traffic or stoplights on the bike.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't go down RT17 south of Glouster. Wall to wall stop lights, construction, and retards.

I would take 460 and avoid the tunnels.

I'm a local, trust me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for 460!  It will be the easiest and fastest.

Also,  If you are available at all, make sure to come out to the Pungo Strawberry Festival!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Truthfully, being someone that travels 460 on a regular between the truckstop at 295 and windsor/suffolk.....id stear clear of that death road. It gets crazy trying to work on cotton trucks when they are broke down on the side cause people dont want to get over......cause theres no median and they weren't born with Mad Max blood in them.

Plus remember, those little towns, especially Waverly, have cops that pull for the slightest of things. (it's like taking 183 south out of boykins into Garysburng, NC, go through Seaboard a 5 over if you want, bet that cop runs you down with a lawnmower)

10...its been so long since I been on 10 i wouldn't qualify as a point of refrence to tell you if its bad or not, I just know people have told me its a get around from 295 into and through smithfield. But 17 around the Carrolton area does start heavily with the traffic lights and plane idiots who dont need to drive in the first place
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Leaving Arlington at 4:00 tomorrow (Friday) morning for NC. Wish me luck

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I might be in for this.  What is Rt. 10 like, stop and go, or can I keep moving?  I don't mind back roads (in fact I like them) but don't want to be stuck in traffic or stoplights on the bike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[
Less Time

Both Rt. 5 and Rt. 10 are two lane roads.  Both are decent and you won't run into hardly any traffic until you get into the Hampton Roads areas on Rt. 10.  That said, check with VDOT because the Benjamin Harrison bridge (bridge linking Rt. 5 to Rt. 10 over the James River) was closed earlier this week for some reason.  Haven't heard if it was reopened or not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]
All good suggestions, but it's really a dice roll on any of the damn roads, one accident can cause absolute gridlock no matter where you are.

Google maps has a traffic overlay which I use quite often.  Waze is also good, but I need a WSO while driving; too much to deal with if I'm driving solo.  Check Google maps in your PC browser early to see if you can ID any developing problems and act accordingly when you start your drive.

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The Hampton Roads radio stations are already talking about massive backups at the HRBT.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I can already see the invasion beginning...Grocery stores are out of control...
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can already see the invasion beginning...Grocery stores are out of control...
View Quote

Can we put barriers up around franklin? It's already bad enough here, we dont need stop overs of out of staters XD
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Both Rt. 5 and Rt. 10 are two lane roads.  Both are decent and you won't run into hardly any traffic until you get into the Hampton Roads areas on Rt. 10.  That said, check with VDOT because the Benjamin Harrison bridge (bridge linking Rt. 5 to Rt. 10 over the James River) was closed earlier this week for some reason.  Haven't heard if it was reopened or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[

Less Time

RT 10 is my preferred route to Richmond, but it is spring and the road can get clogged with heavy farm equipment.   If the Harrison Bridge is not an option you can get off and hop on RT 10 at Hopewell.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Family member left Arlington Friday 145pm and said traffic wasn't that bad ,some at the tunnels, but it was rush hour by the time they got there.

Eta: 95, 295, 64
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Family member left Arlington Friday 145pm and said traffic wasn't that bad ,some at the tunnels, but it was rush hour by the time they got there.

Eta: 95, 295, 64
View Quote

That's half the battle.  Now getting out of here on Monday will be the other half.

Good luck to all, and be safe.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Had a blast, thanks VA Beach guys.  Ended up going 17 > 2 > 301 > Jamestown Ferry > Rt 10.

Had a great time as usual, I wanted to visit the Cape Henry lighthouse but didn't realize it was on Fort Story; CCW so no deal.  Sorry for the tropical storm, it was my fault since I rode the motorcycle down (wife & son drove the car).  Both bike & I were very clean Monday afternoon when arriving back home.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Had a blast, thanks VA Beach guys.  Ended up going 17 > 2 > 301 > Jamestown Ferry > Rt 10.

Had a great time as usual, I wanted to visit the Cape Henry lighthouse but didn't realize it was on Fort Story; CCW so no deal.  Sorry for the tropical storm, it was my fault since I rode the motorcycle down (wife & son drove the car).  Both bike & I were very clean Monday afternoon when arriving back home.

View Quote

Yeah it sucks that the lighthouse is on base. My daughter just had to go so I left my carry piece in the safe when we went. They do search the vehicle too, pretty thoroughly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah it sucks that the lighthouse is on base. My daughter just had to go so I left my carry piece in the safe when we went. They do search the vehicle too, pretty thoroughly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny story about Fort Story security,,,(well it's funny now)    Right after 911, I was in a wedding on base.

I arrived at the check station and the guards did the routine check of my vehicle. Looked under it with mirrors, had me pop hood etc,  All was good,

Until they all went into full retard mode.  Screaming and yelling at me to get out of the car, show me your hands, get on the ground etc.  They gave it the full fire for effect effort.  

After about 2 minutes they all cracked up and showed me where my buddies were standing watching the hilarity.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I will say this, I can never go to Virginia Beach EVER again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top