Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2016 4:58:27 PM EDT
Help please,

Need to bring some kids to Tech for a summer camp this summer and we plan on camping in my trailer.

Any decent campgrounds nearby?    

Any gun ranges?  I will have all day to myself and need something to do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There used to be a national forest shooting range a couple miles west on 460.  The range was pretty nice for a public range.

Fishing at pandappas pond on the other side of 460.  New River fishing is better.  

Not sure about camping though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The shooting range is still there, 460 west from Tech. It is on Craig Creek Rd off of 460. It's sad.....I have grown up around here but can't think of a campground (as far as RV or Camper camping) to near to Va Tech. I have camped a lot at Claytor Lake State Park but that's probably a 25ish mile trip. If that is in your means it is a nice place to camp. It has all hookups and also there is a beach at the State Park. They even have a sign that says firearms allowed for CHP holders.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
There are also camper spots at Alta Mons, Dixie Caverns, Interstate Overnight Park (road side), Eggleston Springs, and New River Junction.  

Alta Mons is quite peaceful.  Dixie Caverns, and interstate park are close to the interstate so you do have some road noise.  Eggleston Springs and NRJ are a bit of a drive but right on the New River.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I use to camp a few miles past the public gun range further down  Craig Creek Rd in the NF.  Never used a trailer, but there are some  meadows and quite a few cleared  pull offs in the NF.  All very convenient to VT and yet remote.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to just pull up in the woods and stay,  Used to do this all the time up near Stuarts Draft.  

Unfortunately I am bringing some kids from school to attend a camp.  So, I choose the Claytor state park campground.  Makes all the soccer moms feel good.

Thanks,

Tom

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome! A great place to stay! The kids will enjoy it and if you are there on weekends sometimes the park rangers have something going on for the kids.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a campground in Eggleston right on the river - it should be kind of close to the range off of 460 too. There's a restaurant near the bridge that my friend's band plays at sometimes called 'The Palisades'. Here's a link:

Eggleston Springs Campground

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top