Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2016 1:38:16 PM EDT
Going to FL in August. Thinking about bringing my PS90 along for my brother in law to fondle. Only state I might nick on the way with issues is VA and mag limits I think. Anything to keep in mind?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
We don't have magazine limits as far as I know
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No mag limits here in VA.  Can't speak for the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland which you may have to pass through on your way south.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you transport the gun in compliance with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, you will not have any problem.

1. Unloaded, in a case;
2. In the "luggage compartment" of your car, not accessible from the passenger compartment;
3. If the luggage compartment is accessible from the passenger compartment (like in an SUV), then the gun must be in a locked container;
4. Gun is being transported from a jurisdiction where possession is legal, to another jurisdiction where possession is legal;
5. Only necessary stops enroute.

Follow those guidelines, and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
While I appreciate the refresh on FOPA, most anti states will arrest and charge, but throw it out for affirmative defense. Ohio did until recently.

I've already checked the other states I'll cross and they are fine - I just need input on VA statutes since they have AW provisions.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you transport the gun in compliance with the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, you will not have any problem.

1. Unloaded, in a case;
2. In the "luggage compartment" of your car, not accessible from the passenger compartment;
3. If the luggage compartment is accessible from the passenger compartment (like in an SUV), then the gun must be in a locked container;
4. Gun is being transported from a jurisdiction where possession is legal, to another jurisdiction where possession is legal;

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While I appreciate the refresh on FOPA, most anti states will arrest and charge, but throw it out for affirmative defense. Ohio did until recently.

I've already checked the other states I'll cross and they are fine - I just need input on VA statutes since they have AW provisions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Unloaded, in a case;

No mag limits in VA, AW pertains to purchase and IDs, not ownership, unless MG.
Recommend traveling unloaded, depending on the time of year, hunting regulations on loaded long guns.
MD is your problem, not VA.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't figure out of the OP is being funny or not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think he's predicting the future, possibly.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Recommend traveling unloaded, depending on the time of year, hunting regulations on loaded long guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Unloaded, in a case;

Could you expand on the "AW pertains to the purchase and IDs, not ownership, unless MG" portion?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Unloaded, in a case;

Virginia law on so-called "assault weapons" has nothing to do with possession or transport. The statute simply requires proof of citizenship or legal residence in order to purchase one from a dealer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Virginia law on so-called "assault weapons" has nothing to do with possession or transport. The statute simply requires proof of citizenship or legal residence in order to purchase one from a dealer.

View Quote

I'm assuming there are no issues moving there with AWs - any paperwork for that?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm assuming there are no issues moving there with AWs - any paperwork for that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope not, I just moved here and didn't file paperwork
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO! There is no paperwork. As state above the only firearms that require any sort of "paperwork" are Machine Guns. As conductor said above it is an ID requirement and a weak one at that.

VA has some of the best gun laws in the country thanks to the VCDL. How it could get construed that one would have an issue with "Assault Weapons" is beyond me. I suppose it has something to do with our current asshat carpeting bagging Governor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS !!! your worried about VA and you have to travel through MD ???
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not.

VA was the only state in my path that had ANY aw - specific language.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

NO! There is no paperwork. As state above the only firearms that require any sort of "paperwork" are Machine Guns. As conductor said above it is an ID requirement and a weak one at that.

VA has some of the best gun laws in the country thanks to the VCDL. How it could get construed that one would have an issue with "Assault Weapons" is beyond me. I suppose it has something to do with our current asshat carpeting bagging Governor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still got language about AWs. I'm in PA if you want an example of the best gun laws. No pesky mentions at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's still got language about AWs. I'm in PA if you want an example of the best gun laws. No pesky mentions at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"...the best gun laws..." ? Are you kidding?

In PA a private sale involving a handgun is prohibited, and must be done through either a dealer or the PA State Police.

Nothing like that here in VA.

As far as our "language about AWs", it only requires purchasers to provide proof of citizenship or legal residency in the USA when buying an AW from a DEALER. Sorry that you find that so outrageous.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A history lesson, there was a foreign national that purchased an AK and killed numerous people in front of a Government agency.  As a result of that, a provision was added that one needs to show proof of citizenship, this can be accomplished by a voter registration card for example.  VA registration cards do not have a picture id.    Private sale is not covered by this law, and not required to go thru an ffl.

MG there is a VA state police requirement to register mg brought into the state.   If you have the money, its fairly straightforward to fill the paperwork out and have legally own one.

Why i said MD, they don't honor VA and most other chp/ccw permits, not a shall issue state.  If they stop you, hopefully you weapons are secured in a separate  container than ammo and mags.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Best advice, don't stop in MD for anything, everywhere else you are GTG
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
The People's Democratic Republic of Maryland is your problem state.

Follow FOPA and Virginia will not even blink.

There are hunting regulations in many places that restrict loaded long guns in vehicles.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#21]
How about...do not do anything causing the police to search your car. This is always the best starting point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#22]
VA state police are dicks.  Avoid at all costs.  

Much of VA's interstates has a speed limit of 70mph.  80mph in VA is reckless driving and can get you arrested.  DO NOT speed!  

VA traffic laws = CA gun laws.   Equally retarded.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
VA state police are dicks.  Avoid at all costs.  

Much of VA's interstates has a speed limit of 70mph.  80mph in VA is reckless driving and can get you arrested.  DO NOT speed!  

VA traffic laws = CA gun laws.   Equally retarded.
View Quote

The bill to change the reckless limit failed a few years ago.

It is just stupid.

Reckless is a BIG deal in Virginia.
Mandatory court appearance.
Out of state might get you a trip to the pokey.

And yes.  VSP tend to be a bit of a PITA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Getting stopped for speeding, even if reckless, does not equal your vehicle being searched unless---

There is something else you have done wrong or give them consent to search.

I go back to the statement I made before above.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not.

There is nothing in VA law to prevent a law abiding person from driving through the Commonwealth with a assualt weapon as defined in VA law.  We have no ban on AW.  We do have a ban on carrying firearms loaded with a magazine capacity of over 20 rounds in some jurisdictions.   So your P90 can't be carried loaded in some areas unless you have a CHP.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#26]
MD is certainly a very high risk state to pass through with any type of gun.

If you have a CCP its even higher.

Maryland is one of the toughest gun control states in the nation and passed the Maryland Firearm Safety Act of 2013, which, among its provisions, bans 45 assault weapons and limits gun magazines to 10 rounds. Maryland also has strict laws governing the transportation of guns and issues concealed carry only on a "need-based” determination. Maryland does not recognize any out-of-state carry licenses.

Florida links CCP and gun registration information to driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, and makes it available freely to LE agencies.  MD is one of the states that uses this information.  An automatic license plate reader at the tunnel read the Florida plate, connected it to a gun, and sent all the owner’s information – including DMV photo – to the nearest patrol car.  The LEO verified that the person and the car matched and pulled him over.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/md-police-target-concealed-carry-holders-guns/#axzz49ruaaXfP

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MD is certainly a very high risk state to pass through with any type of gun.

If you have a CCP its even higher.

Maryland is one of the toughest gun control states in the nation and passed the Maryland Firearm Safety Act of 2013, which, among its provisions, bans 45 assault weapons and limits gun magazines to 10 rounds. Maryland also has strict laws governing the transportation of guns and issues concealed carry only on a "need-based” determination. Maryland does not recognize any out-of-state carry licenses.

Florida links CCP and gun registration information to driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, and makes it available freely to LE agencies.  MD is one of the states that uses this information.  An automatic license plate reader at the tunnel read the Florida plate, connected it to a gun, and sent all the owner’s information – including DMV photo – to the nearest patrol car.  The LEO verified that the person and the car matched and pulled him over.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/md-police-target-concealed-carry-holders-guns/#axzz49ruaaXfP
View Quote

You can't buy, trade or sell magazines of more than 10 in MD but you are able to possess them.  Stupid law.  We had people from MD come into Cabelas in DE all the time to buy their mags because they were legal to bring into the state
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top