Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 1:31:45 PM EDT
I have a pistol that I've been thinking about selling and there's a gun show this weekend.

I've always seen private individuals walking around at gun shows with a gun or two for sale.

Someone told me that you could not legally do that as of a couple of months ago. That now you had to have a transfer done and that the state police, or someone, have tables set up to do these transfers.

Is this true, or can I sell to someone as long as they have a valid VA drivers license?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Not true. The VA State police tables are there IF you want to do a background check on a private sale. They will charge you a few bucks and provide documentation that they say will keep you from being liable should the guy you are selling to use the gun in a crime. These private background checks are not mandatory, feel free to conduct your sale as you would normally.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... now you had to have a transfer done and that the state police, or someone, have tables set up to do these transfers.

Is this true, or can I sell to someone as long as they have a valid VA drivers license?
View Quote

False.  You can sell to any Virginia resident without paperwork.  You may want to have a bill of sale or something, though not required.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

False.  You can sell to any Virginia resident without paperwork.  You may want to have a bill of sale or something, though not required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
... now you had to have a transfer done and that the state police, or someone, have tables set up to do these transfers.

Creating a BOS is one of the things BATFE has used to convict for 'engaging in the business.'

There is no requirement so do not bother doing it.

All you are required to do is take to "reasonable" assurances the person is  Virginia resident (a voter registration card is better than a DL) and NOT a prohibited person.
Who up until McAwfull's recent overstepping means they could not have a voter registration card wither.

At least he did no restore their 2nd amendment rights.
Just voting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to smack Someone in the mouth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top