Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 9:00:59 AM EDT
Forgive my ignorance, the website isn't clear.

Where do I drop off the application for processing?  I see local PD, court clerk, and State Police as all having to touch this thing but no where to drop it off first to get the ball rolling.  My first time filing for a CCW since Vermont didn't have one to apply for and NJ is well NJ
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Go down to the court clerk with the app filled out and NOT signed. The app has to be notarized and the court clerk will do that for you.

Depending on were you live, it is taking anywhere from 7 days to 45 days to get permits. Some locales like to take the full 45 days the statute gives them as others want it done as quick as possible.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go down to the court clerk with the app filled out and NOT signed. The app has to be notarized and the court clerk will do that for you.

Depending on were you live, it is taking anywhere from 7 days to 45 days to get permits. Some locales like to take the full 45 days the statute gives them as others want it done as quick as possible.
View Quote

Town or county court clerk?

EDIT: I live in Falmouth with a Fredericksburg address, 22406.  I'm thinking this will make a difference
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

EDIT: I live in Falmouth with a Fredericksburg address, 22406.  I'm thinking this will make a difference
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to go to the county clerk. You would only go to the city court clerk if you lived within the city limits, 22401.
I live in 22407, Spotsylvania but, I have a Fredericksburg address like you do. I had to go to the county clerk for my permit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
§ 18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.

A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.........
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
In Fluvanna, I went to clerk first. She notarized it as I signed and then I personally had to take the form to drop off at the sheriffs office.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In Fluvanna, I went to clerk first. She notarized it as I signed and then I personally had to take the form to drop off at the sheriffs office.
View Quote

that is not normal. I have applied in 2 counties and neither made me do more then drop the app off at the clerks office with the support documentation and money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

that is not normal. I have applied in 2 counties and neither made me do more then drop the app off at the clerks office with the support documentation and money.
View Quote

I haven't had that run around since my first permit, back in the early 90s.

Back then, I had to start the process by dropping the application off with the County Clerk, who then had me take some paperwork to the Sheriff's Office, where I was fingerprinted for the background check.  I had to have two separate cashier's checks - one for the Clerk and one for the SO.  

The SO then called me weeks later saying the background check was done and that I had to drive over, pick up the results (sealed envelope), and drive them over to the Clerk.  After I dropped them off with the Clerk, I had to wait weeks more before I was approved...and then I had to drive back to the Clerk's office to pick up the permit.  

Each time I had to drive there, it was 30 minutes each way, plus driving time between the Clerk and the SO offices.  I probably had 4 hours driving time to get through that BS.  The entire process seemed to be setup to make it more difficult...and no one involved was polite or helpful in any way.  And the damn thing was only good for two years.

So yeah, it could be a lot worse than it is now.  Let's just hope we don't get back there...or worse.  Support your favorite pro-2A candidate this year.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Your in Stafford.Go to the courthouse.from parking lot go towards buildings,go up the stairs between the 2 buildings,turn right at top.go up the stars of the courthouse.thru metal detectors ,straight ahead is hallway to clerks office.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Cant believe how fast I got my CHP.  Handed it into the clerk on Wed afternoon.  Got it in the mail on Friday!!

Oh yeah, I had a UT permit but had to get a VA permit.  Almost carried into the courthouse.  Dont do that.  They send you through metal detectors.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cant believe how fast I got my CHP.  Handed it into the clerk on Wed afternoon.  Got it in the mail on Friday!!

Oh yeah, I had a UT permit but had to get a VA permit.  Almost carried into the courthouse.  Dont do that.  They send you through metal detectors.  

View Quote

Hmm maybe I'll get mine soon then.  I think I went Wednesday as well.  Did you go to Stafford?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, Stafford.  Shouldn't take long...  OC till then
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
When you go to drop it off don't bring any sharp pointy things or you have to walk back to the car and secure it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I know beggars can't be choosers but I'm starting to get impatient waiting for my permit lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Got my permit.  Nice to be able to carry again
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got my permit.  Nice to be able to carry again
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.  7 days?  Awesome.  Which locality?  Can I just drop off my application there?  Ex: If I live in Vienna, but can I drop it off in Warrenton?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
My NN city permit expired (I live in PWC now) and filled out the application and dropped it
off on a Friday. It was in my mailbox on Wednesday. It might have gotten there on Tuesday, but I don't ch do the mail everyday.

This is PWC btw
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting.  7 days?  Awesome.  Which locality?  Can I just drop off my application there?  Ex: If I live in Vienna, but can I drop it off in Warrenton?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine in Spotsy took 7 days. I dropped it off on a Fri. and it was in my mailbox the following Fri.

Unfortunately you have to apply in the jurisdiction you live in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My NN city permit expired (I live in PWC now) and filled out the application and dropped it
off on a Friday. It was in my mailbox on Wednesday. It might have gotten there on Tuesday, but I don't ch do the mail everyday.

This is PWC btw
View Quote

Yep.  PWC is either extremely pro-gun, or they are extremely efficient as a government agency.

But since the Prince William Board of County Supervisors passed a resolution making PWC the first locality in the Commonwealth to waive the county cost for processing concealed handgun permits, I'd lean toward saying PWC is simply pro-gun.  They literally gave up a revenue stream, as small as it might have been, to make it easier to protect yourself.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mine in Spotsy took 7 days. I dropped it off on a Fri. and it was in my mailbox the following Fri.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Thanks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top