Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh....Hey......

this is a tag
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can primitive camp anywhere in the GWNF.....no campground needed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GWNF website specifically says shooting at designated ranges only. Unfortunately we don't live out west. Hite Hollow is a great little range but you won't find much for camping areas close by.

Yup, I hit Hite Hollow during my researching last, and at first glance it would be perfect...but the closest camping area is 40+ miles and about an hour drive.  

Everything I read backed up "shooting at designated ranges only."  No loaded guns, other than CCW, outside of hunting season.

At this point, I'm thinking we should abandon the idea of camping and shooting, and go with one or the other.  As much as I'd love an opportunity to get some shooting in, I think camping is a much more social experience, and gives people more of an opportunity to get to know each other.

Thoughts?

You can primitive camp anywhere in the GWNF.....no campground needed.

Yeah I know. It's just that around the range there isnt much room, thee mountain goes up pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I haven't been working this more, been busy, and getting busier.  Don't be afraid to grab the reins on this if you come up with a good location and don't want to wait on me.

I think we're steering towards primitive camping in the national forest near a range, but need to pick a range now.  Suggestions along those lines would be a big help, otherwise I'll see what I can come up with.

If we do range day/camping, do we want to pitch in for a community meal, everyone do their own thing, or something in the middle?  Camping pot luck?  Chili cookoff?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Headed to Uncle Pat's remembrance today, I'm sure some of you will be there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Headed to Uncle Pat's remembrance today, I'm sure some of you will be there.
View Quote

no idea who Uncle Pat is...
but it sounds as if he will be missed.
sorry for your loss brother.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm out over the Memorial day weekend but open to other suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I just bought 7 acres out in Suffolk, we would be happy to host a camping event, unfortunately no room for a range because of the way the property is laid out.  We should have all the renovations done in about a month.  Lots of downed trees we could have one hell of a bonfire and some great grub.  Two fishing lakes within 5 miles also if you were into that kind of thing.  We may even have some trails cut by then if you wanted to bring dirt bikes, atvs, or side by sides.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm out until next month. Unfortunately work has me currently exploring a jungle...
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagging.

I can bring some supressors and SBSs to the party.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm out until next month. Unfortunately work has me currently exploring a jungle...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like fun.. where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone want to go to wing night at Belmont on Wednesday?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm back! When are we going camping????
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

We should all go invade Subnets place before he splits for Texas....
We had a bitchin' time a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In!

Stayed up until around 5 am and the neighbors were ultra cool about it.
I got all of 3 hrs sleep before the drive home.
DWFan and the M4 crew are great.folks...
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went from "I don't have shit going on, I'm going to try organizing a HTF event" to "Not enough time in the day" way fast...at this point, I have to start planning for CWE, so I really have to drop the lead on this one.  Someone can either pick this up, or it can just keep running until I can get back to it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
When is CWE going to be?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#19]
So CWE is the HTF meet-up?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When is CWE going to be?
View Quote

We are a solid 90% on the date of Sept 1-3
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When is CWE going to be?

I'll be stuck on the tugboat yet again.

I'm 0-4. I guess it's just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When is CWE going to be?

Meh, it's cool. I have been home for a week and I'm ready to volunteer for some time in Afghanistan...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Short notice, I'm going camping in GWNF this Saturday at flagpole knob if anyone wants to tag along.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Short notice, I'm going camping in GWNF this Saturday at flagpole knob if anyone wants to tag along.
View Quote

The wife and I were considering a drive out there on Saturday for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The wife and I were considering a drive out there on Saturday for shits and giggles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Camping or up and back down?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up and back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Up and back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up and back.

Union springs road or RT33?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up and back.

Up from 33/Dunkel Hollow. I've never actually been up via Union Springs. How's that way?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Up from 33/Dunkel Hollow. I've never actually been up via Union Springs. How's that way?
View Quote

I have always gone up Dunkel Hollow and down via Union Springs. Union Springs has a few spots that I have hit my sliders on 33's and a few fun mud pits but overall is pretty tame. I think it would be fun and more challenging to come up Union Springs. Dunkel Hollow is fun too but seems to have more traffic from my experience.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Ill be up in the GWNF either the 1st or 3rd weekend of October. We normally camp off of Alahambra Rd. We used to camp off of Perkins Mill Rd at Shoe Creek but that has been shut down by the Forest Service. I always try to hit the Apple Fest at Silver Creek orchard in Tyro.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have always gone up Dunkel Hollow and down via Union Springs. Union Springs has a few spots that I have hit my sliders on 33's and a few fun mud pits but overall is pretty tame. I think it would be fun and more challenging to come up Union Springs. Dunkel Hollow is fun too but seems to have more traffic from my experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are going up via Dunkle Hollow tomorrow. Probably going to do lunch at Flagpole Knob and then head back down via Briery Branch. I'm Driving a stock Tacoma with the TRD off road package so no real rock crawling for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ill be up in the GWNF either the 1st or 3rd weekend of October. We normally camp off of Alahambra Rd. We used to camp off of Perkins Mill Rd at Shoe Creek but that has been shut down by the Forest Service. I always try to hit the Apple Fest at Silver Creek orchard in Tyro.
View Quote

Was it shut down by forest service, or the private land owners that were tired of inconsiderate trail riders? I miss Shoe creek trail.

The first time I went to shoe creek I got confused and ended up camping off Alahambra, and finding the trail the next day

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Was it shut down by forest service, or the private land owners that were tired of inconsiderate trail riders? I miss Shoe creek trail.

The first time I went to shoe creek I got confused and ended up camping off Alahambra, and finding the trail the next day

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoe Creek is a combination of both I think. I can't blame the property owner, plenty of fuckheads who were hell bent on destroying stuff went through there I'm sure. If people had just stayed on the trail it probably would still be open. The lower end is still open I think. I'm going to find out because I would like to camp at the 3rd water crossing. It might be better now since there will be little to no thru traffic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Rather than a campout, we could do something along the lines of the Gambler 500.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rather than a campout, we could do something along the lines of the Gambler 500.
View Quote

Bruh..
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shoe Creek is a combination of both I think. I can't blame the property owner, plenty of fuckheads who were hell bent on destroying stuff went through there I'm sure. If people had just stayed on the trail it probably would still be open. The lower end is still open I think. I'm going to find out because I would like to camp at the 3rd water crossing. It might be better now since there will be little to no thru traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's open up to that point then that's not too bad if you can snag that spot to camp.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top