Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2016 11:24:30 AM EDT
I need something in the work truck to occasionally run my computer and top off small pieces of equipment with at least one USB port.  On occasion I need to use another vehicle and am looking at units with a cigarette lighter plug power supply. The issue I have is the tremendous variety of manufactureres and models available making the choice tough for me. I'm hoping that a electronics pro on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Tripp-Lite's abbreviation "PWM" could be viewed by some as trying to conceal the fact the power is not pure sine, but rather is stepped ... Over the years, Tripp-Lite has lost the association with quality that they used to have in my book. (This is an example of why/how ...)

Here's a cheap alternative from Amazon:

Samlex PST-120-12 Pure Sine Wave Inverter 120 Watts AC DC 120 VAC USB Port 12V
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason to go up to 120 V sine wave.

Most laptops have DC inputs.

The first thing the power supply dies is rectify the input.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
You should be able to find a 12volt charger for your laptop. We get them for our tough books for $23
That would be more efficient than an invertor.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You should be able to find a 12volt charger for your laptop. We get them for our tough books for $23
View Quote

I carry a few other pieces of equipment powered by lithium ion batteries (usb jack requirement) and I need to top them off for additional use in the field without going back to the office. When I called the manufacturer they stressed pure sine wave inverter for that job. It wouldn't be such a struggle if I didn't swap vehicles on occasion, but I can't get around that either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
i have run all sorts of things off a modified sine wave inverter, including several li-ion chargers without issues.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
If you really must use an inverter I highly recommend the Samlex brand. Pure Sine or Modified Sine, Samlex is the way to go!

Good prices on Amazon coupled with their return policy and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I carry a few other pieces of equipment powered by lithium ion batteries (usb jack requirement) and I need to top them off for additional use in the field without going back to the office. When I called the manufacturer they stressed pure sine wave inverter for that job. It wouldn't be such a struggle if I didn't swap vehicles on occasion, but I can't get around that either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whomever you talked you is a stupid fool. A 'customer service' person that knows nothing that is not in the instruction book.

We used to call them 'bit weenies' since that is all the electrical engineering they knew.

Many of the 'wall warts' you use only produce a pulsing DC signal since they contain a rectifier

Filtering capacitors (smoothing caps) would make the device larger so they are left in the equipment.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top