Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 1:31:11 PM EDT
Fucking bastard:

http://www.newsleader.com/story/news/local/2016/02/01/hangers-role-key-defeating-concealed-carry-bill/79658280/

RICHMOND - Just days after Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) struck a gun deal with Republican leaders, the Virginia Senate reverted to its mostly partisan habits on the issue.

On the floor was a bill from Sen. Richard H. Black (R-Loudoun), which would have largely done away with the need to obtain a permit before carrying a concealed weapon.

He referred to the measure as “constitutional carry.”

“It’s based on the idea that the Second Amendment is a constitutional right and that citizens have a right to carry firearms without permission of the government,” Black explained recently. “It’s analogous to the First Amendment, where you don’t need a government permit to tell you what you can say and what you can’t.”

The argument did not carry the day in the Senate, which the GOP controls by a 21-19 margin. Sen. Emmett W. Hanger Jr. (R-Augusta), a moderate known for crossing party lines on some hot-button issues, joined with Democrats to vote against the bill, leading to a 20-20 tie. “It was an easy vote for me,” Hanger said.

“I was surprised that I was the only Republican voting against the bill, this would have gutted the whole process of how concealed carry works,” Hanger told The News Leader. “For me it was an easy vote.”
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]“I was surprised that I was the only Republican voting against the bill, this would have gutted the whole process of how concealed carry works,” Hanger told The News Leader. “For me it was an easy vote.”[/span]
View Quote

Well, at least he understands the point.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought Hanger was one of the good guys.  He showed his colors with this one.  Admittedly a meaningless vote because McAsshat would veto it but I suspect the citizens of Augusta County would expect better from him.

It's a shame this happened now and not last year when he would have had to face the electorate.  Shocking how that always seems to happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting ready to move to Reva and it looks like this asshat will be my new state senator, I look forward to voting against him next time around.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Augusta County semi liberal? Maybe he made a smart choice? The bill would never ever pass into law as the current governor would veto it. Without enough votes to over ride the veto, this whole bill was just a fun exercise.

Not everything is black and white. He may have pissed off a few gun people by voting no on a bill that would never pass, he may have kept enough votes from non gun people to keep him in office longer. I would rather have this republican stay in office then get another demarcate voted in.

I think gun control is going to start being a major issue in coming elections and people are going to start voting for people on this one issue alone. The amount of money these anti gun groups are starting to spend in local elections is getting scary.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I could be wrong but a quick internet search makes it look like he supported the Affordable Care Act as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Isn't Augusta County semi liberal? Maybe he made a smart choice? The bill would never ever pass into law as the current governor would veto it. Without enough votes to over ride the veto, this whole bill was just a fun exercise.

Not everything is black and white. He may have pissed off a few gun people by voting no on a bill that would never pass, he may have kept enough votes from non gun people to keep him in office longer. I would rather have this republican stay in office then get another demarcate voted in.
View Quote

If he votes with the Liberals on these important issues then it doesn't really matter what party he belongs to, does it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think gun control is going to start being a major issue in coming elections and people are going to start voting for people on this one issue alone. The amount of money these anti gun groups are starting to spend in local elections is getting scary.
View Quote

County typically goes 75% republican or better.  The cities within generally go democrat 51/49 of late.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If he votes with the Liberals on these important issues then it doesn't really matter what party he belongs to, does it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, it was a bill that was never going anywhere so I'm not ready to crucify him for a single shitty vote.  Definitely something to keep in mind in 2019, though.  Of course, he'll probably retire anyway.  He'll be in his 70s by then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To be fair, it was a bill that was never going anywhere so I'm not going to ready to crucify him for a single shitty vote.  Definitely something to keep in mind in 2019, though.  Of course, he'll probably retire anyway.  He'll be in his 70s by then.
View Quote

Then why piss on your own party and spend political capital by making such a vote and public statement? Just vote correctly and shut up with the understanding that it won't matter.

He sounds like another Tommy Norment. A RINO who is more concerned with his image than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
In my own POV, I think getting constitutional carry to pass will never happen. I think people are "satisfied" with the permit process. (I am not saying I agree with it).

I think the best we can get it is opening up where we can carry, etc.

Bloviating about why he voted against it certainly isn't helping him.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my own POV, I think getting constitutional carry to pass will never happen. I think people are "satisfied" with the permit process. (I am not saying I agree with it).

I think the best we can get it is opening up where we can carry, etc.

Bloviating about why he voted against it certainly isn't helping him.
View Quote

We had actually made good progress with that until McAwful decided to just unilaterally put "No Guns" signs on every DMV and ABC store.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I will NEVER stop pushing for constitutional carry.

.Gov should have NO say in the matter. Full stop.

It took us several years to overturn the Restaurant Ban.

We have to play the long game.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like I'm going to be writing a letter expressing my disappointment with my representation.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then why piss on your own party and spend political capital by making such a vote and public statement? Just vote correctly and shut up with the understanding that it won't matter.

He sounds like another Tommy Norment. A RINO who is more concerned with his image than anything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, it was a bill that was never going anywhere so I'm not going to ready to crucify him for a single shitty vote.  Definitely something to keep in mind in 2019, though.  Of course, he'll probably retire anyway.  He'll be in his 70s by then.

Why is it every time I make a typo someone quotes it?  Oy vey.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hanger has been a squish on guns for years.

I recall he voted against a pro-gun bill once because he claimed Alexandria Republicans would have a hard time getting elected....
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will NEVER stop pushing for constitutional carry.

.Gov should have NO say in the matter. Full stop.

It took us several years to overturn the Restaurant Ban.

We have to play the long game.

View Quote

In no way am I saying it isn't a fight worth fighting :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
He's had good conservative primary opponents in several of the last elections. He's a good ole boy that the locals love, and he crosses the isle so lot's of the local Democrats support him. With the current primary system in place, the only realistic way to replace him before he dies of old age, would be to elect a Democrat for one term, then try to get them out later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top