Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 4:50:59 PM EDT
If I found a M203 receiver without the barrel is it legal in VA just like any other firearm? There is no barrel on it nor, do I have a barrel for it.

So I buy it transfer it to a local FFL, then pick it up just like any other weapon or would I have to still get the title 2 destructive device papers?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Would probably still be a DD. If it's truly a virgin receiver, there may be some wiggle room, but chances are that it's not.

I'd wager to guess that it's already on the registry, unless it's stolen.

For a price comparison, a brand new LMT M203 is about $1,500, plus tax stamp.

Link
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It's from a website. They claim it is title 1.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting. You'd absolutely need to get a tax stamp if you were going to put a barrel on it. I'd be very interested to see if it's a Title 1.

26 USC § 5845(2) reads as follows:

(2) Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter (.50 inches or 12.7 mm), except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and...

That's where the question would lie, I believe.

Since DD's can go on the Registry and come back off, I imagine that someone could have disassembled it, applied to have it removed and it would become a Title 1 firearm. At that point, I suppose it would be a receiver, just like any other Title 1 receiver.

I'd head over to the NFA section of the website and ask. Those guys know all the details really well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Smooth bore barrel makes it a "flare launcher". I have done the conversion on 8 DD's in the past. All ATF required was to show that the rifling was removed and the bores were true smooth bore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The receiver is title 1.  Meaning it is just like 22 rifle or 12 gauge shotgun.  If you also have a 40mm barrel you be breaking the law.  There are places to get 37mm smooth bore barrels.

My observation is that M203 receivers cost the same as complete M203s.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The receiver is title 1.  Meaning it is just like 22 rifle or 12 gauge shotgun.  If you also have a 40mm barrel you be breaking the law.  There are places to get 37mm smooth bore barrels.

My observation is that M203 receivers cost the same as complete M203s.
View Quote

Good info.

A complete civilian 203 is a civilian "destructive device," just like civilian-owned fragmentation grenades, RPGs, artillery, tank-mounted cannons, recoilless rifles, land-mines, and other such weapons (but NOT flame throwers).  

Civilians can and do own registered destructive devices.

Destructive devices are legal to own in Virginia provided they are NFA registered.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I did buy it, I wouldn't even think of not have a 37mm, and only a 37mm barrel for it. Like, I'd order the 37mm barrel, then buy the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]
In the Maryland Hoemtown Forum, you posted the exact same question:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_29/595086_M203_Receiver_Legality_.html

Why is that?  The alleged 203 receiver cannot be in 2 states at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Where can you get the smooth bore 37mm barrel for a 203 receiver?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top