Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
http://www.virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2016/01/washington-post-mcauliffe-to-restore.html

The about-face is part of a deal that McAuliffe (D) struck with Republican leaders one month after Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) severed the right for gun owners in 25 states to have their concealed carry permits recognized in Virginia.

In exchange, Republicans will agree to some concessions, according to McAuliffe’s office and the office of House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford).

If an individual’s Virginia concealed-carry permit is revoked, a permit from another state will not be honored in Virginia — a practice known as “state shopping.”

State police must be present at all gun shows to administer background checks in private sales of guns on a voluntary basis.

Anyone subject to a permanent protective order for a domestic violence offence will be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the two-year life of the order.
View Quote

If that's the deal, it better be for full 50 state reciprocity like in SB610.

ETA: VSSA says on their FB page that they heard it's SB610 but not confirmed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the first time I'm hearing about this...pretty big news.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Good news, but....

What did the R's give up?  Terry has to get some satisfaction.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, what "common sense" items are we having to do to get our God given rights back
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the link to a Washington Post story about the change in policy.  From what I am reading it doesn't have anything to do with 50 state reciprocity since in the first paragraph it states "agreements with nearly all states".

The story also talks about the deal that as made.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-to-restore-handgun-reciprocity-in-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/28/6f8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html

Bill
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In exchange, Republicans will agree to a major concession: Anyone subject to a permanent protective order for a domestic violence offence will be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the two-year life of the order. The issue had been a nonstarter in the Republican-controlled General Assembly.
View Quote

In another concession, state police must be present at all gun shows to administer background checks in private sales of guns on a voluntary basis. McAuliffe’s budget includes $100,000 to fund the activity.
View Quote

So that means only if the people want to do a background check?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In exchange, Republicans will agree to a major concession: Anyone subject to a permanent protective order for a domestic violence offence will be prohibited from carrying a firearm for the two-year life of the order. The issue had been a nonstarter in the Republican-controlled General Assembly.

In another concession, state police must be present at all gun shows to administer background checks in private sales of guns on a voluntary basis. McAuliffe’s budget includes $100,000 to fund the activity.

For now, until they decide to make it mandatory.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with that analysis.

And would this make it easier for out of state dealers to transfer guns at the shows?  If I understand it correclty when buying from an oos dealer you have to find an instate dealer at the show to perform the transfer, and pay the instate dealer.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I remain skeptical of this deal.  It sends a message to anti-gun politicians that when they can't pass their anti-gun agenda through the legislative process, they should simply take executive action and it will force the Republicans to the negotiating table, where those same Republicans will compromise just to get back to the status quo that we had before the executive action was taken.  What will stop future Democrat Governors and Attorneys General from taking additional executive action to force additional concessions from the legislature?  

Nevertheless, I withhold final judgment until I see the actual details of the bill.  However, any final deal must meet the followIng conditions AT A MINIMUM in order to be considered acceptable:

1.  The deal must undo BOTH the Attorney General's unilateral action regarding recognition of out of state permits AND the Governor's unilateral action on open and concealed carry in state agency buildings.

2.  The deal must LEGISLATIVELY and PERMANENTLY undo these actions by the Governor and AG, and ensure that they are stripped of the authority to reinstitute these--or similar--executive actions in the future.  If we are going to give ground in ways that will be permanently written into the Code, we must ensure that anything we gain is also written permanently into the Code and cannot be undone by either the current administration or a future administration.

3.  The deal must provide a mechanism to avoid abuse of the protective order provision by anti-gun judges, and a mechanism for people to get their rights restored when they demonstrate that they are not a threat to others.  The burden of proof must be on the state to demonstrate that the individual should be denied their rights, not on the individual to demonstrate that they should get their rights back.

I will send this to both Sen. Norment as well as Speaker Howell.  I recommend you all do the same, with a copy to your delegate and senator.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
While I would very much like to see reciprocity restored (or better yet to include all 50 states) I have to say that this whole thing seems like some dirty trick pulled by the gun-haters.

First of all. the AG cancels the reciprocity with 25 of the 30 states that Virginia had agreements with.

Then four days before the AG's action is scheduled to take effect, he and the governor come up with this plan to restore the reciprocity agreements, but only if the leaders of the house and senate agree to pass anti-gun legislation that the dems have been working on for over a decade.

The whole thing smells rotten to me. This is the kind of bullshit that the dems have been doing for years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The Dems got cold feet.  The GOP got us a good deal.

GOP hating 2Aers need to get over themselves.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please share with us the details of how this undoes the governor's actions on state agency building carrying.  Because I don't see it in any of the articles so far.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Please share with us the details of how this undoes the governor's actions on state agency building carrying.  Because I don't see it in any of the articles so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The deal is on reciprocity.  The dems were shocked at the backlash.

Executive actions are extraordinarily tough to reverse.  Separation of powers insures this.  

A lot of people on this board ought to remember that election day when they sit home because they don't like the GOP candidate.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Executive actions are extraordinarily tough to reverse.  Separation of powers insures this.  

A lot of people on this board ought to remember that election day when they sit home because they don't like the GOP candidate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said we were getting a good deal.  We're not.  We're negotiating with terrorists and giving them an opening to deny broader classes of people their rights.  Worse, we are encouraging the Dems to wash, rinse, and repeat for more concessions.  We are giving ground, and not even getting back to the status quo where we started a few months ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You said we were getting a good deal.  We're not.  We're negotiating with terrorists and giving them an opening to deny broader classes of people their rights.  Worse, we are encouraging the Dems to wash, rinse, and repeat for more concessions.  We are giving ground, and not even getting back to the status quo where we started a few months ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Username is appropriate, too.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The deal is on reciprocity.  That deal is good and EXPANDS our rights.   This deal was possible because the dems got scared it would hurt them come election time.  VA is a must win.  Terry took a dogshit deal because he is ONLY interested in winning elections.  

Not a lot of options on executive actions.   We pass a bill, gov vetos it.  We don't have the votes to override a veto.  "Negotiating" is what we have to do.  Work hard for the most pro-2A major party nominee in 2017 and we can change the exec orders.

What broader class is being denied rights?

And let me just say NATIONWIDE RECIPROCITY.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The deal is on reciprocity.  That deal is good and EXPANDS our rights.   This deal was possible because the dems got scared it would hurt them come election time.  VA is a must win.  Terry took a dogshit deal because he is ONLY interested in winning elections.  

Not a lot of options on executive actions.   We pass a bill, gov vetos it.  We don't have the votes to override a veto.  "Negotiating" is what we have to do.  Work hard for the most pro-2A major party nominee in 2017 and we can change the exec orders.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The deal doesn't have to be limited to anything.  We are giving ground in multiple areas; we should be gaining ground in multiple areas too.

The broader class being denied rights is anyone who can be served with a protective order.  There's a lot less due process associated with a protective order than a criminal conviction.  Going through a nasty divorce?  Neighbor problems?  You're a target for a protective order.  Anything that can be abused to deny people their rights, will be abused.  Count on it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The deal doesn't have to be limited to anything.  We are giving ground in multiple areas; we should be gaining ground in multiple areas too.

The broader class being denied rights is anyone who can be served with a protective order.  There's a lot less due process associated with a protective order than a criminal conviction.  Going through a nasty divorce?  Neighbor problems?  You're a target for a protective order.  Anything that can be abused to deny people their rights, will be abused.  Count on it.

View Quote
Talk is cheap.  I would love to hear your plan to "gain ground in multiple areas."

Elections have consequences and we are living them in the Commonwealth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So go without  
reciprocity for at least 2 years or take this stop gap measure to get reciprocity back until we get a Republican Governor to sign bills like HB1096  and HB1163 into law?

Or are you going to say we don't need more laws on the book now?

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I strongly agree with the sentiments expressed by libertyforall.

Bloomturd, Charismatic Leader, and others have most certainly orchestrated this entire kerfuffle, in which the Guv-eh-nor plays an active role.

Note how the Washington Pox is leading the publicity about this ... Their editorial policy with respect to the regime and its Party is identical to Pravda in the heyday of communist USSR.

I am shocked by some of the naivete being exhibited by some. Reserve the glee for some legislation ... like honoring all issued permits, or even better, constitutional carry.

Sheesh ... it resembles the response of an abused spouse, after the beatings slow down. Gratitude!  Happiness! But the underlying problem is still there, and will always return.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have anything in writing backing up that nationwide reciprocity is what we'll get?  IMO, McAwful is intending on just giving us back what we had - 25 states.  Maybe.

And how will you get MD, DC, NY, MA, CA, etc to recognize VA CHPs?  Sure they might get to carry here,which will be nice for them, but we'd still be SOL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Honestly think this is a terrible idea.  Not necessarily the "deal" itself but the precedent this sets is troubling.  We're basically being extorted by the Marxists.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly think this is a terrible idea.  Not necessarily the "deal" itself but the precedent this sets is troubling.  We're basically being extorted by the Marxists.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Talk is cheap.  I would love to hear your plan to "gain ground in multiple areas."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the plan - don't give the Democrats what they want unless we get what we want.  Not surrendering is a novel concept for Republican leadership, but it really isn't that hard.  We can live without reciprocity for a handful of states for a few years if we have to.  Changes to the Code are permanent and will never be undone.  You better make sure you're getting something worthwhile in return.  If you think this won't be abused to deny broader classes of citizens of their rights, youre being naive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Some perspective here:

-this is not a "trade" nor a "compromise."  There is no quid pro quo here.

Herring TOOK something from us.  Now the governor is asking republicans to give up more of our rights in order to get back the rights Herring just took away.

Is this a workable long-term strategy?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some perspective here:

-this is not a "trade" nor a "compromise."  There is no quid pro quo here.

Herring TOOK something from us.  Now the governor is asking republicans to give up more of our rights in order to get back the rights Herring just took away.

Is this a workable long-term strategy?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds more like extortion than a "deal"

Take away public's gun rights, and give them back when they agree to pass more gun-control laws.

I think the better deal would have been to say "fuck'em" and open-carry rather than give prosecutors an easier way to make you give up your guns.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sounds more like extortion than a "deal"

Take away public's gun rights, and give them back when they agree to pass more gun-control laws.

I think the better deal would have been to say "fuck'em" and open-carry rather than give prosecutors an easier way to make you give up your guns.
View Quote

Agreed.  I can't understand how GA Republicans can be so freaking dumb.

I hope PVC can do something - anything at this point - to either stop this deal or if it's unstoppable (probably is at this point seeing all the press) then at least GET US SOMETHING out of it aside from what we already had a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I remain skeptical of this deal.  It sends a message to anti-gun politicians that when they can't pass their anti-gun agenda through the legislative process, they should simply take executive action and it will force the Republicans to the negotiating table, where those same Republicans will compromise just to get back to the status quo that we had before the executive action was taken.  What will stop future Democrat Governors and Attorneys General from taking additional executive action to force additional concessions from the legislature?  

Nevertheless, I withhold final judgment until I see the actual details of the bill.  However, any final deal must meet the followIng conditions AT A MINIMUM in order to be considered acceptable:

1.  The deal must undo BOTH the Attorney General's unilateral action regarding recognition of out of state permits AND the Governor's unilateral action on open and concealed carry in state agency buildings.

2.  The deal must LEGISLATIVELY and PERMANENTLY undo these actions by the Governor and AG, and ensure that they are stripped of the authority to reinstitute these--or similar--executive actions in the future.  If we are going to give ground in ways that will be permanently written into the Code, we must ensure that anything we gain is also written permanently into the Code and cannot be undone by either the current administration or a future administration.

3.  The deal must provide a mechanism to avoid abuse of the protective order provision by anti-gun judges, and a mechanism for people to get their rights restored when they demonstrate that they are not a threat to others.  The burden of proof must be on the state to demonstrate that the individual should be denied their rights, not on the individual to demonstrate that they should get their rights back.

I will send this to both Sen. Norment as well as Speaker Howell.  I recommend you all do the same, with a copy to your delegate and senator.

View Quote

Well said.  I guess we will hear the details at noon or so today.  I don't think we will get all of the above.  Now they know we will negotiate with terrorists.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#29]
On the face of it I'm not in favor of taking away a Virginian's rights for the benefit of people in other states.

I'd rather vote in a Governor that's not a carpet-bagging jerk and have better laws enacted then.

That said I'll reserve judgment till the VCDL sorts it all out. I'd not go with only what the WP and the Dems want us to hear.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#30]
The Republicans can't get it passed in the Senate with a veto-proof majority. There's just no way around that, even with the pro-gun Dems like Edwards behind it. They have to make the deal or suck it up and pray for a good governor come 2016/2017
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Republicans can't get it passed in the Senate with a veto-proof majority. There's just no way around that, even with the pro-gun Dems like Edwards behind it. They have to make the deal or suck it up and pray for a good governor come 2016/2017
View Quote

Sounds like a plan to me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've heard enough pushback that they don't want to wait. That would be bad for their reelection for those up this year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They've heard enough pushback that they don't want to wait. That would be bad for their reelection for those up this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are no GA elections this year.

We just had elections in November, remember?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was like the house where there are even and odd years for different ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't get the obsession with protection orders in this whole incident. If you are the subject of a protection order you aren't allowed to have firearms. So it's not like they would get pulled over by the cops have a gun found on them and sent on their way because they have a permit. I don't like the idea of negotiating with the dem turds but it looks like they got absolutely nothing out of it except some overtime gigs for the state troopers.

Also from the wording on the article it sounds like it only applies to final protective orders and not the emergency protective orders. EPO's are a seven day affair that can be abused to shit since basically someone can point a finger at you and say "he's the boogeyman" and you lose your rights for seven days giving time for a court date to be set for a longer term order. A final protective order is the result of a court action. Not just go bitch to the magistrate so there is more protection for the accused. I could be off on some small details of that as its been a few years since the academy and I'm no longer involved with law enforcement.

As far as I know pretty much every states protection (restraining in Hollywood/CA) orders are that restrictive too. A result of the backlash from the OJ trials and making battered wives rare murders more important than due process and protection of civil liberties. In VA it was expanded to where it could be a used more following the I think she was a Lacrosse player after she was murdered by her boyfriend to the point where pretty much anyone can get one on anyone else. My old man who was a lawyer had a saying I find more and more true all the time. Tough cases make bad law. Aka knee jerk laws in response to heartstring pulling cases that are out of the ordinary always end up being a steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a rare case where the saying "Chess not checkers" would be appropriate.  

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]
The deal being suggested strips the AG's discretion from the code in 18.2-308.014. That's an EXCELLENT thing, and a win.

Was there some element of extortion to it? Yep. But if we come out better on the other side... it's a win. Politics is sometimes shitty that way.

I was against this at first. I talked to Todd Gilbert and he laid out the way that it's a win, primarily because it clarifies 308.014, accepts permits from any state willing to accept VA's, and adds about 8 states to the list of reciprocity.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The deal being suggested strips the AG's discretion from the code in 18.2-308.014. That's an EXCELLENT thing, and a win.

Was there some element of extortion to it? Yep. But if we come out better on the other side... it's a win. Politics is sometimes shitty that way.

I was against this at first. I talked to Todd Gilbert and he laid out the way that it's a win, primarily because it clarifies 308.014, accepts permits from any state willing to accept VA's, and adds about 8 states to the list of reciprocity.
View Quote

I'm feeling better about this. Has VCDL stated what's up yet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who adds more to the list in the future? Does that require new legislation that the governor can veto?

Universal reciprocity is the only real fix.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Who adds more to the list in the future? Does that require new legislation that the governor can veto?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what it is. VA will recognize the permit of any state willing to recognize Virginia's.

The deal hasn't been inked yet, but that's what I've been told should be in it.

VCDL hasn't said anything yet, because they're waiting to see the final version before commenting, which seems smart.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Va. gun-safety activists feel betrayed by McAuliffe’s ‘gift to the gun lobby’
By Laura Vozzella January 29 at 12:13 PM ?  

RICHMOND — Gun-safety activists reacted with fury on Friday to a deal Gov. Terry McAuliffe struck with Republicans to recognize most out-of-state concealed-handgun permits, fanning out across the Capitol, placing hundreds of calls and writing to the Democrat who won office two years ago bragging about his “F” rating from the National Rifle Association.

“Governor McAuliffe should reconsider this dangerous gift to the gun lobby,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, which in the fall poured more than $2 million into two state Senate races in a failed attempt to help McAuliffe’s party take control of the chamber.

The gun agreement, which still needs the General Assembly’s approval, would reverse Democratic Attorney General Mark R. Herring’s decision last month to sever the reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states with standards looser than Virginia’s.

The deal would require gun-rights groups to give on a couple fronts. The state could take guns away from anyone under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And state police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers who choose to vet potential buyers.

While the NRA has praised the deal, gun-safety advocates who just last week rallied on Capitol Square with the governor described it as a betrayal.

Everytown, which is bankrolled by former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, released a letter signed by more than a dozen survivors or relatives of Virginia shootings, including relatives of those killed in the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre. Andy and Barbara Parker, parents of a Roanoke journalist killed on live television in August, also signed it. The couple had stood beside McAuliffe (D) on Capitol Square on during the annual “lobby day” rally, praising the governor and the Herring action that McAuliffe has since agreed to roll back.

“You have been a leader who has shown the greatest courage on this issue and been an inspiration to so many of us. Until today,” they said in the letter. “Perhaps you don’t realize that North Dakota authorities will grant concealed carry permits to people who’ve been convicted of stalking. Or that Alabama lacks any training requirements whatsoever in its permitting process. Or that Tennessee allows individuals with numerous assault convictions to acquire permits. Or that Florida does not run a full background check on permit applicants and will issue permits to non-Florida residents — so any nonresident not up to Virginia permitting standards could just apply for a Florida permit through the mail.”

McAuliffe’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Thursday, McAuliffe spokesman Brian Coy hailed the deal as a bipartisan breakthrough “that will make Virginians safer. It also demonstrates that Democrats and Republicans can work together on key issues like keeping guns out of dangerous hands.”

Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, the organization’s lobbying arm, issued a statement in support of the deal.

“The National Rifle Association commends leaders in the Commonwealth for moving forward on a bipartisan package that will benefit Virginia citizens,” Cox said.

Herring conspicuously declined to take a stand on the deal.

“At the end of the day, the measure of success for this package will be whether the final product that emerges from the legislative process makes Virginians safer,” he said.

Laura Vozzella covers Virginia politics for The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gun-safety-activists-feel-betrayed-by-mcauliffes-gift-to-the-gun-lobby/2016/01/29/72603778-c6a2-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_vaguns-1pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#42]
RICHMOND -Governor McAuliffe announced a historic, bipartisan deal that will keep guns away from domestic abusers and people who cannot pass background checks. The Governor was joined by Speaker Howell, Lt. Governor Ralph Northam and other members of the General Assembly while making the announcement.

“This bipartisan deal to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and people who cannot pass background checks will save lives,” said Governor McAuliffe. “Give and take is essential to every negotiation, but the balance of this deal changes Virginia law permanently in ways that will keep guns away from people who would use them for harm. I want to thank all of the leaders who put politics aside and stood up for this bipartisan compromise to make our families safer.”

Today’s announced deal will pave the way for the first meaningful steps on preventing gun violence in 23 years.

“I appreciate the Governor, Attorney General Herring, Secretary Moran, Senator Reeves and Chairman Lingamfelter for getting us here today. This is not an area where many people would have predicted an accord, but we are here because of their hard work,” said Speaker Howell. “Protecting reciprocity for Virginia’s law-abiding citizens was a major priority for the House of Delegates. We have achieved an agreement that will ensure the constitutional rights of Virginians are protected. We are also sending a clear signal about the mutual willingness of both parties to protect victims of domestic violence. This a good deal for the Commonwealth.”

“I am happy to have been able to work with my colleagues to reach agreement on this deal today, which includes protecting the rights of 421,000 Virginians who hold concealed carry handgun permits,” said Senator Bryce Reeves. “I want to thank my colleagues on both sides of the aisle for working together to find a solution that protects law-abiding Virginians and makes the entire Commonwealth safer. Today’s announcement truly exemplifies the Virginia Way.”

"I am grateful that we have been able to find common ground with our Republican colleagues to advance legislation that will help reduce gun violence,” said Delegate Kathleen Murphy. “Some may be disappointed in the compromise, but it is critical to support efforts to prevent gun violence and to save the lives of victims of domestic abuse. Today we found a yes. We demonstrated that we can work together across the aisle to pass legislation to advance gun safety. That's a victory.”

“Keeping Virginians safe is the most important responsibility public leaders have,” said Secretary Moran. “I am proud that we were able to strike a historic accord that will keep guns out of the hands of people who would use them for harm. This was a difficult negotiation, and we will continue the fight to prevent gun violence in our Commonwealth – but we should celebrate the considerable progress we made together today.”

The gun safety deal encompasses the following bills:

Voluntary Background Checks at Firearms Shows: Delegate Lingamfelter (HB1386) and Senator Edwards (SB715)

Currently, only firearms dealers with a federal firearms license (FFL) can access the National Instant Checks System (NICS) to perform background checks on firearms purchases/transfers.
The Virginia State Police cannot access the system on behalf of private citizens selling or transferring firearms.
This bill would give the Virginia State Police statutory authority to perform background checks on behalf of private citizens at firearms shows, which is required by the FBI.
Private sellers feel it is their civic duty to obtain the results of a background check prior to selling or transferring a firearm and they currently do not have the ability to access background checks for this purpose.  This would allow them access on voluntary cases.
This bill requires the Virginia State Police to be present at every firearms show in the Commonwealth to perform background checks on a voluntary basis.
Protective orders: Delegate Murphy and Senator Howell

Currently, a person subject to a protective order is prohibited from purchasing or transporting a firearm, but not from possessing a firearm.
This bill would prohibit a person subject to a permanent protective order from possessing a firearm for the duration of the order.
Permanent protective orders are issued by a judge and are served to the subject.  They can last up to 2 years and can be extended by the judge as necessary.
This bill allows the subject of the protective order 24 hours to transfer or sell the firearm to a non-prohibited person.  The subject of the protective order may possess or transport the firearm during that 24-hour period only for the purposes of selling or transferring the firearm.
If a person violates this section, they could be guilty of a class 6 felony.
Reciprocity: Delegate Webert (HB1163) and Senator Reeves (SB610)

Reciprocity for all states with a concealed carry permitting process.
Prevents state-shopping. If a person has ever been revoked in Virginia, they cannot go to another state to get a permit and have that permit be recognized in Virginia.
Retains the 24-hour verification clause for law enforcement purposes which allows the VSP or other law enforcement agencies to verify the validity of a permit for an out-of-state person 24 hours a day when states that offer that process.  Permit-holders must carry another valid state-issued ID for the purpose of verification.
Governor McAuliffe will also extend the effective date for the planned implementation of the revocation of reciprocity agreements with other states to March 1st.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Va. gun-safety activists feel betrayed by McAuliffe’s ‘gift to the gun lobby’

By Laura Vozzella January 29 at 12:13 PM ?  

RICHMOND — Gun-safety activists reacted with fury on Friday to a deal Gov. Terry McAuliffe struck with Republicans to recognize most out-of-state concealed-handgun permits, fanning out across the Capitol, placing hundreds of calls and writing to the Democrat who won office two years ago bragging about his "F” rating from the National Rifle Association.

"Governor McAuliffe should reconsider this dangerous gift to the gun lobby,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, which in the fall poured more than $2 million into two state Senate races in a failed attempt to help McAuliffe’s party take control of the chamber.

The gun agreement, which still needs the General Assembly’s approval, would reverse Democratic Attorney General Mark R. Herring’s decision last month to sever the reciprocity rights of gun owners in 25 states with standards looser than Virginia’s.

The deal would require gun-rights groups to give on a couple fronts. The state could take guns away from anyone under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And state police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers who choose to vet potential buyers.

While the NRA has praised the deal, gun-safety advocates who just last week rallied on Capitol Square with the governor described it as a betrayal.

Everytown, which is bankrolled by former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg, released a letter signed by more than a dozen survivors or relatives of Virginia shootings, including relatives of those killed in the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre. Andy and Barbara Parker, parents of a Roanoke journalist killed on live television in August, also signed it. The couple had stood beside McAuliffe (D) on Capitol Square on during the annual "lobby day” rally, praising the governor and the Herring action that McAuliffe has since agreed to roll back.

"You have been a leader who has shown the greatest courage on this issue and been an inspiration to so many of us. Until today,” they said in the letter. "Perhaps you don’t realize that North Dakota authorities will grant concealed carry permits to people who’ve been convicted of stalking. Or that Alabama lacks any training requirements whatsoever in its permitting process. Or that Tennessee allows individuals with numerous assault convictions to acquire permits. Or that Florida does not run a full background check on permit applicants and will issue permits to non-Florida residents — so any nonresident not up to Virginia permitting standards could just apply for a Florida permit through the mail.”

McAuliffe’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Thursday, McAuliffe spokesman Brian Coy hailed the deal as a bipartisan breakthrough "that will make Virginians safer. It also demonstrates that Democrats and Republicans can work together on key issues like keeping guns out of dangerous hands.”

Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, the organization’s lobbying arm, issued a statement in support of the deal.

"The National Rifle Association commends leaders in the Commonwealth for moving forward on a bipartisan package that will benefit Virginia citizens,” Cox said.

Herring conspicuously declined to take a stand on the deal.

"At the end of the day, the measure of success for this package will be whether the final product that emerges from the legislative process makes Virginians safer,” he said.

Laura Vozzella covers Virginia politics for The Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gun-safety-activists-feel-betrayed-by-mcauliffes-gift-to-the-gun-lobby/2016/01/29/72603778-c6a2-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html?hpid=hp_local-news_vaguns-1pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory
View Quote

I wish that bitch Parker would shut up and go the hell away. His daughter was murdered by one of the left's "chosen" ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Well now, things seem to be looking up on this one.

Awaiting VCDL's final word on this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
You know how much time and money I wasted on my family applying for Virginia permits since it was announced that our out-of-state permits were no longer going to be honored after 01FEB?  

Fuck that cum stained communist motherfucking piece of fucking shit and his progressive cronies for their bullshit revenue generation scheme. I want to fucking tar and feather some motherfuckers right fucking now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gun-safety-activists-feel-betrayed-by-mcauliffes-gift-to-the-gun-lobby/2016/01/29/72603778-c6a2-11e5-a4aa-f25866ba0dc6_story.html

“Governor McAuliffe should reconsider this dangerous gift to the gun lobby,” said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, which in the fall poured more than $2 million into two state Senate races in a failed attempt to help McAuliffe’s party take control of the chamber.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And would this make it easier for out of state dealers to transfer guns at the shows? If I understand it correclty when buying from an oos dealer you have to find an instate dealer at the show to perform the transfer, and pay the instate dealer.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And would this make it easier for out of state dealers to transfer guns at the shows? If I understand it correclty when buying from an oos dealer you have to find an instate dealer at the show to perform the transfer, and pay the instate dealer.  

No. The restriction there is federal, and requires that the sale go through an in-state FFL. It actually has nothing to do with background checks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#48]
We will regret this.  Who wants to take bets on how long it will be before Herring and McAuliffe issue additional executive actions infringing on our rights to bring the Republicans to the negotiating table?  What rights will Bill Howell give up next?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

We will regret this.  Who wants to take bets on how long it will be before Herring and McAuliffe issue additional executive actions infringing on our rights to bring the Republicans to the negotiating table?  What rights will Bill Howell give up next?
View Quote

No, we will regret not getting off our collective asses in 2017 to elect a pro-gun conservative as Governor then get the General Assembly to send him bill to sign that prevents such executrive actions from ever happening again.
Or stay home because the candidate with an (R) after his name doesn't drink GOPe flavor-aid like so many did in 2013 and will probably do in November.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Let's end some of the speculation.  From the VCDL:

BREAKING NEWS:   *** February 1 cutoff date for dropping recognition of 25 states has been extended to March 1 ***

THE “DEAL”

As you've undoubtedly heard from the media, there is a package deal in the works between Governor McAuliffe and the Republicans in the General Assembly dealing with 1) concealed handgun permit (CHP) reciprocity, 2) voluntary background checks at gunshows, and 3) those subject to a permanent domestic violence protection order.

To many CHP holders, CHP reciprocity is a HUGE deal, especially if they travel out-of-state regularly and want to be able to carry discretely.  For example, there is no solution to carrying in South Carolina if we don’t have an agreement between our two states.

There is a lot of misinformation from the media and elsewhere and a lot of people are coming to the wrong conclusions about what the deal does and doesn’t do.  Rumors are flying that gun owners only get back the reciprocity that was taken away by Herring and the State Police - that is FALSE.  We have gained important ground!

THE DEAL IS STILL IN THE WORKS.  Things could still go south as the key bills that make up the deal work their way through the legislature and onto the Governor’s desk.  SO, FOR NOW, NOTHING HAS CHANGED.  THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE THIS WILL BECOME LAW, BUT A REASONABLY GOOD CHANCE IT WILL.  If it fails, we may not be able to fix the reciprocity situation for another two-long-years.

VCDL has been privy to the deal for several days, as was a national group.   VCDL monitored progress of this potentially groundbreaking advancement of our liberty from its genesis, and provided counsel and discussion points during its evolution.

The final product was given the nod by VCDL, however we will be watching like a hawk for any changes that negatively affect gun owners.

IMPORTANT DETAILS ON THE “DEAL”

There are three components that make up the deal, each component represented by matching bills in the House and in the Senate.

#1 - Reciprocity details - gun owners gain ground!

* Virginia will honor the carry permits from ALL states!  This is considerably better than current law and something VCDL has been trying to get for at least seven years now.

* Because Virginia will honor all other states, Virginia CHPs will be recognized by all the states we have lost AND we will gain some new states:  New Hampshire, Georgia, and Colorado!

* The State Police and the Attorney General will have NO say in the new law.  If another state requires a formal agreement to honor Virginia CHPs, the new law requires the Attorney General to enter into any such agreement.  If he fails to do this, item #3, below, does not go into effect.

* One other change on the reciprocity law:  If your Virginia CHP is revoked for cause, you won’t be able to carry on a non-resident permit from another state.  Not a deal breaker.

NOTE:  Just because we are honoring all other states, doesn’t mean we can carry in all those states.  Someone from New York will be able to carry here, but we won’t be able to carry in New York unless New York is willing to enter into a reciprocal agreement with Virginia, for example.

As more and more states start honoring out-of-state permits, the prospects of our permit being honored by even more states down the road is bright!

#2 - Voluntary gun show background checks

* Background checks for a private sale are COMPLETELY voluntary.

* The State Police shall be at every gun show in Virginia, by law.  (Some gun owners were thinking this was some kind of a trick - that if the State Police don’t show up, the gun show would be cancelled.  This should put that worry to rest.)

* The gun show promoter shall notify the State Police of the location and times of the gun show at least 30 days in advance, shall provide a free location for the police to set up, and shall have signs letting attendees know of the voluntary background checks at the State Police booth.  (I checked with one of Virginia’s largest gun show promoters on this to see if any of it was objectionable and was told, “no.”)

* The State Police may charge a reasonable fee.  (If they charge more than you want to pay, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)

* NO information on the make, model, or serial number of the gun being sold will be provided to the State Police - i.e. no federal Form 4473!  The purchaser will have to fill out the Virginia form, which asks a few questions and has the buyer's name, address, and signature.  (If you don’t want to fill out that form, you can just walk away and do the transaction without the background check.)

* There is a carrot: if a background check is run, the seller receives some special legal protections that are currently not available for private sales.  If a background check is not run, you don’t have any more or any less legal protections than under current law.

Yes, down the road inevitably there will be some bills introduced that attempt to make the background check mandatory.  We get bills on mandatory background checks for private sales every year.  We will have to fight and defeat those bills in the future, just as we fight and defeat similar bills today.

For those gun owners who would feel safer selling a gun to someone who has had a background check, this provides a new option in addition to the current option of either asking if the person has a CHP or going through the more laborious and expensive route of letting an FFL do the transfer.  It also has no effect on private sales conducted anywhere outside of gun shows, where this voluntary option is not provided.

#3 - Persons subject to a PERMANENT domestic violence protection order cannot possess firearms until the order expires

* The ONLY permanent protection order this restriction applies to is one for domestic violence and NOTHING else.

* The subject of the protection order must have had his day in court along with any legal counsel.  Temporary protection orders do NOT affect possession of firearms.

* If the judge, after hearing the defense, decides to issue a permanent protection order anyhow, the subject of the protection order will lose his gun rights for the duration of the order (MAXIMUM of two years), and automatically get those gun rights back when the permanent protection order expires.  Note:  a new permanent protection order could potentially be issued when the perament protection order expires if the judge thinks a danger still exists.

* The subject of the permanent protection order will have 24 hours to turn his guns over to a person of his choice, as long as that person can legally possess firearms.

* The above is basically federal law already, and state law already prohibits a person with such a permanent protection order from purchasing  or transporting a firearm.

WHAT’S NEXT?

* VCDL will be monitoring the deal’s progress, watching for changes that negatively affect gun owners.

* If a negative issue arises and is not fixed quickly, I will advise all of you immediately via an Urgent Legislative Action Alert.

* I will also be providing links to the three bills described above as soon as the final language is available online.  That way you can read them for yourself.

* For now just standby on this, as I keep you advised of the progress of the deal.

* If you don’t have any absolutely urgent questions, please hold on to them for now as it would be easy to overwhelm me with emails (I’m already getting over 200 a day as is).
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top