Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Secondary roads were plowed yesterday, albeit not too well.  I'm thinking the remaining roads will not be plowed here in N. Stafford.  Forecaster is calling for rain tomorrow???? That will be fun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Supposed to be at work but still snowbound. No word from HOA since last night on when we'll see our neighborhood streets plowed. Never seen it this bad before.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
17 miles from the White House.

Haven't seen a plow on our street since a pickup truck with a blade came out and played in the first few inches that fell Friday night.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Secondary roads were plowed yesterday, albeit not too well.  I'm thinking the remaining roads will not be plowed here in N. Stafford.  Forecaster is calling for rain tomorrow???? That will be fun.
View Quote

Ice is not fun....
But we will deal with it.
Like we have a choice....lol
big ugly don't care.. it has snow repellant..." />
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
After seeing some Loudoun school parking lots this morning, I don't there will be any school this whole week.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My court is cleared as best it can be thanks to all the residents getting out yesterday and clearing it.  My HOA has a contractor who made a pass on Saturday and plowed enough to block a bunch of my neighbors' cars in.  When they asked if he could please leave some room to get out, he was kind enough to tell them "Get off their ass and get a shovel."  Nevermind we had all been out shoveling for hours on Saturday to try to keep pace to some degree.

After creating a 3 foot berm of compacted ice and snow in a half-assed pass on Saturday night, the contractor plows have been through two more times and done nothing since the work's already been done.

Guess I'll walk out the main roads this afternoon to figure out what tomorrow morning will likely hold.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
South Arlington here ... an honest 29" with 3-4 foot drifts.

About 1000 one of Arlington's finest walked by carrying his duty bag.  I presume the patrol that was going to pick him up couldn't make it down our street.  I thought to myself, "Self, that guy looks a little mad that he's got to walk out his neighborhood to report to work," and I resumed shoveling.

Around noon a front-loader with a 3-yard scoop turned into our street.  I silently thanked the nameless shift commander, whom I presumed called the public works people and discussed why it's essential that officers can get to work in a timely manner. I thought to myself, "Self ... Arlington is finally getting smart. They're going to actually clear our road this time." (In the past we've gotten a pickup-truck plow on D+3 or D+4.)

I was hoping for, "Push, scoop, pickup--backup to large, empty median, and dump-- and repeat."

I was wrong.

Instead the front-loader pushed snow down our dead-end street. A straight pass down the 1/4 mile street. (1 travel lane ... curb parking on both sides.) effectively blocking all of the cars on both sides. Then he came back out (of the dead-end street) on a victory lap on his way out to ensure no one could move. What with their non-standard road markings (a portion of street painted red in front of the crosswalks at certain intersections, etc.) and their snow removal movement activities, Arlington County has proven to me the state should control Arlington's roads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
neighborhood got the cavalry from VDOT a few hours ago. multiple trucks, bobcats (plural)...still need to shovel my cars out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
10-12" or so here in Lynchburg. Friday night turned into sleet, so that took a good 4-6" out of our lineup. I'm glad too, fuck shoveling all this crap. Main roads actually weren't too bad Saturday morning. Secondary's are still a bit slushy here even today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
fairfax county parkway still has lanes disappear on multiple occasions. neighborhoods off of franklin farm road and west ox have yet to see a plow. a few streets off of walnut branch have yet to see a plow either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank God for good neighbors.

Between the driveway to the  house and the road back to the barn we have around 2600 feet of road to plow. Most everyone around here
knows I'm laid up after being run over by one of the horses, so we had one neighbor with an M series Kubota, another Kubota with a
front blower, and a turbo tracked Bobcat all helping to get us plowed out.

We're more or less clear - except the vehicles need to be hand dug a little. Even got paths shoveled from the barns to the paddocks
and all the horses are out and acting stupid (usual for the first snow of the season.

From what I hear, a lot of the secondary roads up here (Lovettsville area) have not seen a plow yet. I would expect school to be closed
for the entire week.

Any other Loudoun County guys here?

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost forgot, if you are in the Lovettsville road area and need help, send me a PM.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Made a run to the Sterling Safeway with some neighbors in my new Tacoma.

Our neighborhood roads are shit and I had to keep it in 4WD-L the whole time.

Countryside blvd was pretty clear but went from 2 to 1 lane without warning.

Saw a plow up at the Safeway stuck in a snowbank on Countryside.

Safeway was mobbed.

I just picked up some beer and drove home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Stafford county fire departments apparently responded to three different calls of plows on fire over the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stafford county fire departments apparently responded to three different calls of plows on fire over the weekend.
View Quote

CBS has video of one in DC popping and burning.  None of these drivers carry extinguishers?

Heard about a Kenworth on fire in Ashburn this morning.

Yesterday I listened to this incident.  Crews were back out there today for overhaul or whatever.
http://www.loudountimes.com/news/article/family_of_four_displaced_in_waterford_house_fire898

I went over to Lowes in Sterling this morning hoping to find a woodruff key for my snowblower.  Online showed it in-stock there.  Nope.
I got it fixed enough to work for now, not doing anything else around my neighborhood until I get my mom's cleared.  I went past her street and it hadn't been touched.

A plow is just now on her street, taking a break.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
fairfax county parkway still has lanes disappear on multiple occasions. neighborhoods off of franklin farm road and west ox have yet to see a plow. a few streets off of walnut branch have yet to see a plow either.
View Quote

It's the same with the Greenway and Rt 7 to/from Winchester area.  Lots of snow removal areas you come up on and have to merge over, or snow cutting into your lane all of a sudden.
OPM has to keep the gov closed for a while and not allow all this traffic back on the roads with people thinking they have to come to work or take leave.  The roads are not ready for any volume yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
72 hours on duty
24 to sleep...
Back to work I go....
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the same with the Greenway and Rt 7 to/from Winchester area.  Lots of snow removal areas you come up on and have to merge over, or snow cutting into your lane all of a sudden.
OPM has to keep the gov closed for a while and not allow all this traffic back on the roads with people thinking they have to come to work or take leave.  The roads are not ready for any volume yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have that kind of faith in OPM?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I live at the end of a dead end road in Falls Church. I'm starting to think my road won't get plowed at all.
I don't really care. I shovled my ass on the last two days and finished my driveway and was able to hit the 7-11 for dip using my xterra. I grew up in the shadow of Lake Erie and this is the first time I've ever seen actual "snowed in" happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live at the end of a dead end road in Falls Church. I'm starting to think my road won't get plowed at all.
I don't really care. I shovled my ass on the last two days and finished my driveway and was able to hit the 7-11 for dip using my xterra. I grew up in the shadow of Lake Erie and this is the first time I've ever seen actual "snowed in" happen.
View Quote

Are you my neighbor? 20" of snow on the street and the closest plow is in my backyard clearing an apartment complex. Whatever. I made the best of the situation. I shoveled the snow off the roof and took my two oldest and jumped off into the piles I made. And I made them a tunnel...22' long. Today I got bored and got my Subaru stuck in the road trying to see how far it would go in 20" of snow. It didn't go very far.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OPM just closed for the 26th.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:OPM just closed for the 26th.
View Quote

Holy S.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thank God for good neighbors.

Between the driveway to the  house and the road back to the barn we have around 2600 feet of road to plow. Most everyone around here
knows I'm laid up after being run over by one of the horses, so we had one neighbor with an M series Kubota, another Kubota with a
front blower, and a turbo tracked Bobcat all helping to get us plowed out.

We're more or less clear - except the vehicles need to be hand dug a little. Even got paths shoveled from the barns to the paddocks
and all the horses are out and acting stupid (usual for the first snow of the season.

From what I hear, a lot of the secondary roads up here (Lovettsville area) have not seen a plow yet. I would expect school to be closed
for the entire week.

Any other Loudoun County guys here?

View Quote

I'm just down 287 between 9 and 7.  

The landscaping guys with the pickups can't deal with this snow.  I've never heard of so many stories of breakdowns.  The company my HOA contracts with gave up after killing half their trucks apparently.  They are trying to source bigger equipment now (good luck).

I had to plow out my road today to meet up with where they stopped.  3' of snow is too much for my 75hp tractor, but by pealing it away 1' at a time I was able to clear a lane.  Started 2 lanes wide, but there was just nowhere to push he snow.

So I got out tonight.  One mile of single lane with a few driveways to pull over at.

Drove past Loudoun Vally HS.  No plowing going on there.  Doubt there will be school all week.

]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank God, after driving to McLean and back from Arlington on one and a half lane wide roads I know that everyone's commute would have ended badly in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Several calls of the same I Prince William County.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Leesburg, Tuesday morning and still snowbound. Our HOA said we're on the hot list for the town to clear our street. Never seen this before.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#27]
NBC is saying fairfax co could still be days before all roads are cleared. Looking at the weather, Mother Nature will melt it away before they plow it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Roads are in terrible condition.  Entire lanes on major roads are still unplowed, and plenty of side streets are untouched or have a single lane plowed just enough to be passable.  I'd recommend staying at home unless travel is necessary.  If I could have worked from home today I would have.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Headed from Woodbridge to Arlington this morning wasn't too terrible. Streets in Dale City are still untouched since Saturday for the most part. Jumped through a small plowed up bank to get onto Minnieville. I  took the express lanes north. There wasn't any vanishing lanes and it looked as if all exit and entry ramps had been cleared. There was still snow removal operations going on in the main lanes that reduced the flow to a single lane causing quite a back up. Arlington streets are still pretty bad! The pavement can be seen but most two lane roads are just one wandering wide lane where jackasses will try to go around before running out of room. People are also walking up and down the travel lanes because the sidewalks are still snow covered.

Last night on my way home down 95 south traffic was reduced to a crawl three times. Twice for snow removal and once for a jack knifed tractor trailer. It looked like he got into the snow on the far right lane and lost control. He ended up deep into a snow bank. VDOT was digging him out and a huge Redman's tow truck was standing by to take him away.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
ill post up my adventures activated for duty with the Guard later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Failed To Load Title
Quoted:
Roads are in terrible condition.  Entire lanes on major roads are still unplowed, and plenty of side streets are untouched or have a single lane plowed just enough to be passable.  I'd recommend staying at home unless travel is necessary.  If I could have worked from home today I would have.
View Quote

having wrote a rather large check to Virginia on the 15th for quarterly taxes, in combination with my insane property tax for my car, it is just infuriating.

I get it, once a century storm - but the roads are just in terrible shape.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
3 hour delay....  

Probably will just go in at the normal time and leave early.  I anticipate this will be a disaster tomorrow evening....
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Roads are still in poor shape today.  At least the .gov was on a 3 hour delay, which reduced some of the traffic.  If tomorrow is standard commuting traffic then it's going to be a total clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I traveled down 50 from falls church to Arlington. Most side streets 1 lane with traffic doing anything. Some lanes on 50 (on and off ramps) just end with no plowing. Parking sucks everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Roads are still in poor shape today.  At least the .gov was on a 3 hour delay, which reduced some of the traffic.  If tomorrow is standard commuting traffic then it's going to be a total clusterfuck.
View Quote

I drove to Springfield Metro this morning and the Fairfax County Parkway still has the right lane disappearing several times.  I've also noticed there are places where there is no right hand turn lane.   The traffic wasn't too bad but I go in early.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Back at work but being snowed in for four days put things into perspective in regards to emergencies. We still had plenty of food but learned what the essentials are outside of bread and milk, especially eggs and fruit. Thankfully power never went out but what if it did? I also got a sense of my neighborhood on who I can probably count on when the SHTF. All in all, a good learning experience.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Just drove Rt 50 and 29 in Merrifield.

Disappearing lanes still.
Parking FUBAR.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Back at work but being snowed in for four days put things into perspective in regards to emergencies. We still had plenty of food but learned what the essentials are outside of bread and milk, especially eggs and fruit. Thankfully power never went out but what if it did? I also got a sense of my neighborhood on who I can probably count on when the SHTF. All in all, a good learning experience.
View Quote

It was hysterical to be at Wal Mart on Friday with my kids. Every time we past an empty aisle, my 7yo asked what had been there. It was awesome. There were a lot of things that he said, "Do we need..." about. Including:

- Flashlights. We have "a few" of different flavors. Heck, we have emergency lights in multiple outlets that can be flash lights.
- Water. I didn't even have to fill the "emergency" bladder I keep. We had more than enough bottles in the garage.
- Food. Literally, our last run to the store was for cookie dough, a bunch of fruit, and some random snacks. We had enough for several more days without a care even without that run.
- Alternate heat sources. I keep 3 tanks of propane on my patio, a grill and a smoker. I could have cooked everything in the house before I ran low on propane. I am also working on re-purposing a single-use propane tank (pool heater) into a multi-use by splitting off a line to the cooking gear. When I do that, I will have 500 gallons of propane available.
- Shovels. Nothing left, not even toys. We were good there, to say the least.
- Sand. Mad Panic over sand. We had 100 pounds waiting in the garage.

If you plan a bit in advance, and keep stuff you will need "someday" this isn't rocket science.

Now, we have a fridge full of leftovers from everything we cooked, I don't have to cook again for several more days if I wanted to keep eating the same things.

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd like to know when USPS is going to start doing their job again. No mail again today.

Package from amazon was "attempted" to be delivered today, but alas no mail man (I know cause I sat at home all day)
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I got mail yesterday and today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I got mail today too.

I am sure they are behind with all the snow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got mail today too.

View Quote

Just annoyed over the "attempted delivery" email notice.

Didn't attempt a thing!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#43]
This recovery continues to baffle me. Tonight on my drive home, heading from Arlington to falls church on 50, traffic was moving at 5 mph with frequent stops. After being in traffic for 50 mins, I came across the cause. Someone at VDOT decided that rush hour was the best time to shut down 2 of the 3 lanes to push back snow. My normal 25 min commute took 70 mins. Turning off 50, the roads all looked the same. 1 lane. Zero work done. I was following a bus, and had to sit in traffic more because he couldn't pull over to let people off. So the bus blocked all traffic for every stop.
Still no mail. I'm not even bothering to take my trash out this week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Didn't attempt a thing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got mail today too.

Didn't attempt a thing!
They're 'attempting' to look busy.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I haven't seen mail since last Friday when, at about 1800, my mailman walked a package up to the door even though there was a good bit of snow on the ground already. When my wife asked him why he was still out and about with the roads bad already he commented to the wife when she opened the door that he grew up in Northern Michigan and that he was used to it.

I think I am probably one of the only people in the neighborhood who has their mailbox shoveled out. Most everyone else has 6' of snow in front of theirs 4' deep from the plow pushing it up. I am guessing that is why mail service hasn't resumed.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I got mail today too.

View Quote

Didn't attempt a thing!
View Quote

I got two notices from UPS today for two packages. One was a weather delay notice which is fine. The other one was an attempted delivery notice. My wife is a teacher and was home all day, nothing was attempted.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#46]
After a couple of days of melting, the colder temps this morning created a lot of ice.  Be careful when you're driving.  I say a nice smash up in the opposite lanes while I was commuting this morning.  Someone tried to stop suddenly on glare ice and it ended badly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I haven't seen mail since last Friday when, at about 1800, my mailman walked a package up to the door even though there was a good bit of snow on the ground already. When my wife asked him why he was still out and about with the roads bad already he commented to the wife when she opened the door that he grew up in Northern Michigan and that he was used to it.

I think I am probably one of the only people in the neighborhood who has their mailbox shoveled out. Most everyone else has 6' of snow in front of theirs 4' deep from the plow pushing it up. I am guessing that is why mail service hasn't resumed.

I got two notices from UPS today for two packages. One was a weather delay notice which is fine. The other one was an attempted delivery notice. My wife is a teacher and was home all day, nothing was attempted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I got mail today too.

Didn't attempt a thing!

Receoved mail on Tuesday and Wednesday, however nothing today. I was supposed to receive two packages yesterday, they even said out for delivery, however one says "ready for pickup," and the other has not been updated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I heard USPS is going to be alternating Sat delivery.  I was expecting an Amazon delivery and got an email "delivery was unsuccessful" which is bullshit because the mailbox and driveway are clear and I was home all day.

Also, all the state roads around PWC seem to be clear and dry although some private residential areas seem to still be jammed up because of incompetent HOAs.  The news says many parts of DC and MD are still untouched by .gov snowplows. Suck it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Didn't the USPS used to have a motto? Something neither rain nor snow keep us from our appointed rounds?

I can accept the lack of Saturday delivery during the blizzard, but UPS, Fedex, and Amazon trucks were out on Monday. USPS is still not delivering now that the roads are clear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#50]
USPS has been horrible.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top