User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made the drive out from Marylandistan on Sunday. Got there around 11 and stayed till 5. Walked right in with no lines at all. Crowd wasn't too bad, but had a few thugs bump into us. Spent a lot of time looking for a carry pistol for the misses. Snagged a few little things here and there (including peanut butter fudge). A buddy of mine that came along ended up buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore for just over $1500 out the door. Not too bad considering no one has them in stock around here.

I think I will be headed back on valentines day to see if I can find some quality upper build parts. Considering what my state calls a gun show, I am never disapointed in VA.
View Quote

Id be curious to see how things change in Maryland since this latest ruling?

And sorry to bump an old thread, but I am just hoping to visit the show this weekend.  Anybody have any tips?  

Being from California (and before that, being very spoiled by having a Quantico Tactical and GT Distributors nearby in Texas) I never bothered with gun shows but now Im genuinely curious to go and see what all the fuss is about.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And sorry to bump an old thread, but I am just hoping to visit the show this weekend.  Anybody have any tips?  

Being from California (and before that, being very spoiled by having a Quantico Tactical and GT Distributors nearby in Texas) I never bothered with gun shows but now Im genuinely curious to go and see what all the fuss is about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I made the drive out from Marylandistan on Sunday. Got there around 11 and stayed till 5. Walked right in with no lines at all. Crowd wasn't too bad, but had a few thugs bump into us. Spent a lot of time looking for a carry pistol for the misses. Snagged a few little things here and there (including peanut butter fudge). A buddy of mine that came along ended up buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore for just over $1500 out the door. Not too bad considering no one has them in stock around here.

I think I will be headed back on valentines day to see if I can find some quality upper build parts. Considering what my state calls a gun show, I am never disapointed in VA.

Might as well start talking about the V-day show in this thread. Maybe OP can update the title to reflect it.

You will likely have fun. I believe it is still one of the better shows around. There will be lots of interesting guns for sale priced from hundred-something Hi-Points to $50,000 machineguns and everything in between. With the expanded building there will be close to 1300 tables. Prices lately haven't been all that impressive but there are deals to be had if you take your time and look for them. The NRA Museum usually sets up a mini-display with some interesting items. There will be lots of knives, holsters, parts, ammunition, etc. from high-end stuff to crappy knock-offs so know exactly what you are looking at before you buy.

ETA- It is going to be COLD and WINDY this weekend so be prepared for the walk from the parking lot, going out for lunch and the line to get in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you'll have familiar experiences with Quantico Tactical being at the gunshow with their usual excellent pricing and service.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Know any vendors who have ACOG's displayed?  I'd like to get a look through one to see if my eyes can focus on the reticle.  Also, anyone have SCAR 17's in the past shows?  I'd like to get the feel for one.  

Gonna be COLD outside waiting in line.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Know any vendors who have ACOG's displayed?  I'd like to get a look through one to see if my eyes can focus on the reticle.  Also, anyone have SCAR 17's in the past shows?  I'd like to get the feel for one.  

Gonna be COLD outside waiting in line.
View Quote

There is usually a dealer there who has a nice selection of high end optics. Not sure if he will have exactly what you are looking for but worth a look. He rolls in about a dozen white painted plywood display cases with glass tops to keep stuff from walking away. He will likely be setup towards the rear on the right as you walk in the main doors.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm interested in picking up a lever action n .38/.357.  I haven't been to this show in a couple of years, so  can't remember if there are many vendors that are selling lever-actions.  Is it worth my time to go or should I look elsewhere?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm interested in picking up a lever action n .38/.357.  I haven't been to this show in a couple of years, so  can't remember if there are many vendors that are selling lever-actions.  Is it worth my time to go or should I look elsewhere?  Thanks!
View Quote

There are a couple of vendors that do sell them. That caliber is not very widely available at the show in my experience. I have seen a couple in the past few shows but you will have to look. I do not recall what the price was. I would like to pick one up one day myself but it is not high on my list. I do not recall the prices but they were high enough that I did not pay serious attention. It is possible you may find what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone go?  Might venture out and look for a Savage hoghunter.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If anyone sees any booths with MK23 or USP Tactical type pistols for sale, I would be deeply appreciative if you would take down their company name and PM it to me.

I am looking for an MK23 but may not be able to make any gunshows over the next few months due to my new job.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I went. Surprisingly, not as busy as I thought it would be. Parking was a bitch. But no line at 3:45 when I got there. I was mostly looking at handguns and only a limited few models and AKs. I did see at least two venders selling lever action .357 rifles. I think the price on the henry one I saw was about $800. Sorry, did not look that close. Prices were not overly high. saw a couple of good prices. AK prices were at what I have been seeing on line.  Saw a lot of ammo with prices that seemed reasonable but again was not looking that close. It did not seem to be selling at that fast. I did see two CMMG 9mm AR lowers for sell and they were priced correctly. First time in a very long time I have seen these at the show. To bad I just bought one on line last week. Trader Jerry's did have two nice looking used SIG 239s at fair prices. One was a 9mm P239 SAS for $650. The second was a regular P239 9mm with two mags for $530. Both looked hardly used. It was very hard not to buy the one for $530.

Best thing I heard this show was a dealer explaining they charge a 3% credit card fee because they are charged to attend the show. I have no issue with the small part time dealers charging this fee, as long as they are up front about it and do not hide it. But this was a large dealer that has a good size local gun store. And their prices are not the lowest either. Decided I do not think I will be using them in the future.

I enjoyed this show more than the last.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
On my way to the show now. Anybody looking for something specific just let me know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

On my way to the show now. Anybody looking for something specific just let me know.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer!  If you see any Rossi R92 lever actions in .38/.357, please let me know.  I'd like to at least handle one before ordering one online or hunting around locally for one.    

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reproduction of the 1897 Trench Sweeper shot gun?

I don't know why, but I just like the idea of a 12Ga with a long damn bayonet on the end.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to know if it looks like business as usual with private sales or if things are changed, either via people being more on the DL or the gov getting more involved
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd like to know if it looks like business as usual with private sales or if things are changed, either via people being more on the DL or the gov getting more involved
View Quote

I have the same question.

Please keep an eye out for the folks with a rifle slung on their shoulder and a "for sale" sign; if you don't mind, could someone ask if they've been approached by ATF or anyone else about private sales?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offer!  If you see any Rossi R92 lever actions in .38/.357, please let me know.  I'd like to at least handle one before ordering one online or hunting around locally for one.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your money and buy a Browning B92. They're expensive, but they are way better than anything Rossi ever made. Check GunBroker. There are usually a few of them listed there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't see any for sale signs being carried.  Only noticed one slung AK type rifle.

No shortage of .22 if that's you thing.  Even saw bricks of it for the same prices you can get it at Walmart or Dicks.
I think for most ammo you can still get it cheaper online.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw one younger gent with a bolt action and a 4 sale sign in the muzzle. Alot fewer than I expected to be honest. One table had a trench gun for the lovely price of 5500. Had to leave before I could make it over to the one table I thought had a few Rossi rifles. I am sorry about that. Prices for the most part where not ridiculous. I came very close to picking up a czp01..the lady really was trying to let it go but even at 460 I couldnt do it financially.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Dupe
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Show was awful. So much CRAP to wade through. Havent been to one for a couple years. Absolutely jerkyjewelrytshirttasertastic
The crap dealers are multiplying exponentially.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Show was awful. So much CRAP to wade through. Havent been to one for a couple years. Absolutely jerkyjewelrytshirttasertastic
The crap dealers are multiplying exponentially.
View Quote

My gf and I agreed on the same thing. Way too much clutter of cheap tactical gear and chinese scopes. 5 or 6 straight tables of this before you got to one with halfway interesting hardware.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Saw one younger gent with a bolt action and a 4 sale sign in the muzzle. Alot fewer than I expected to be honest. One table had a trench gun for the lovely price of 5500. Had to leave before I could make it over to the one table I thought had a few Rossi rifles. I am sorry about that. Prices for the most part where not ridiculous. I came very close to picking up a czp01..the lady really was trying to let it go but even at 460 I couldnt do it financially.
View Quote

Hey thanks for the report!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for looking and standing in line in that horrific cold! At that price I hope that was an original trench sweeper. If they're charging that much for repros then I will just have to learn to live without it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Spent all 3 days at show, had a table selling some of my guns, ammo, accessories. Had a buddy next to me, and a medium-sized FFL behind me.

Here are my observations; friday and saturday were the best selling days we've seen in a LONG time. People were buying AR's, pistols, ammo by the case. Prices were very good. Glock 43, $449-489. Del-Ton AR's, $499. Various DPMS, S&W AR's, $550ish. PMC .223 was $335k. CCI 9mm brass $220k. Selection was excellent on AR's, pistols, ammo. Bought an excellent used P229 (in box) for $500 OTD.

I'm home today/tomorrow, will answer any questions I can. Also, plenty of people walking around with "for sale" signs on guns. Was offerred several.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
My AAR:

I was present from opening to closing all three days. I didn't see any ATF presence but I was told by one of the true collectors who was at the show that he was in Roanoke last week and there were people with ATF (he wasn't sure if they were Special Agents or not) who were speaking with collectors such as himself asking questions about how many guns they typically buy and how many guns they expect to sell at these shows and then advised them to read the requirements for "dealing in firearms" and decide if they should apply to become licensed "dealers". I am hearing this second hand so I don't know if it was exactly as I described but the man I spoke to is a pretty well respected local collector and I don't think he would have made that shit up.

As I have said before, I will say again; the show is lacking a price stabilizer like Dark Sun. I didn't see a price on any NEW gun at he show that I couldn't have easily beat by a large margin ordering on-line.

As others have said, too much fudge, cheap jewelry, jerky, pickles, fantasy knives, low quality and bogus parts/accessories at this show.

Ammunition by the case was going for about the on-line price delivered to your door if you went to the right dealer and dikered a little bit, especially on Sunday afternoon.

I was driving home on Saturday when I heard Antonin Scalia had died. If there were ever a time to "panic" about the future of gun ownership in the U.S., it is now. However, I don't think the full implications of his untimely death have been fully appreciated by the average gun owner. By the end of the show on Sunday, there was still a good supply of mags and ammunition left on the tables.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
J
Quoted:
My AAR:

I was present from opening to closing all three days. I didn't see any ATF presence but I was told by one of the true collectors who was at the show that he was in Roanoke last week and there were people with ATF (he wasn't sure if they were Special Agents or not) who were speaking with collectors such as himself asking questions about how many guns they typically buy and how many guns they expect to sell at these shows and then advised them to read the requirements for "dealing in firearms" and decide if they should apply to become licensed "dealers". I am hearing this second hand so I don't know if it was exactly as I described but the man I spoke to is a pretty well respected local collector and I don't think he would have made that shit up. . .
View Quote

This report is consistent with what Obama said he would do on the issue of gun transfers / sales by people without FFLs (what they like to call a "loop hole").

The ATF cannot change state law.  They cannot re-write federal law.  However, they can:  

1) "suggest" that a person apply for an FFL if that person seems to be selling a lot of guns, or

2) bring criminal charges against someone for dealing in firearms without an FFL.

I am not surprised to hear that Obama's ATF are doing exactly what Obama said he would do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top