Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2015 12:38:43 AM EDT
I went to most of the guns shows in 2015. I enjoy going most of the time even if I do not buy anything.

However, from reading threads on the last two shows held around VA in the past month, reports seem to be very very large crowds and not the greatest deals.

I was thinking Friday may not be so busy as it is a holiday but then thought if the doors do not open until 3pm, then people are going to flock there to get out of the house.

Maybe this is a show worth skipping to avoid to large of crowds.

What should I expect for this weekend?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I expect large crowds but I'm still going to go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
This'll be the 2nd show with the larger footprint, right?

Maybe improved due to lessons learned?

Likely BO, beanie babies, jerky, and tasers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
After the last few show, online shopping seems to be the best option..

But with that said..

I'm going to risk it...
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably make it out sat morning for a bit.  Still trying to unload a beretta and a CZ....
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I really enjoy this show and often help out with a couple different vendors. Sadly, I am afraid this venue may have jumped the shark.

With the untimely passing of Rod and the demise of Dark Sun, the NGS lost a price stabilizer. Dark Sun and Trader Jerry bantered back and forth to set the bar for realistic gunshow pricing IF you wanted to move guns. Prices were generally horrible at the past two shows and completely out of touch with the market reality.

After 8 years, buyers are tiring of "panic" and the Obama economy has stripped even NoVa of much of it's discretionary spending money.

Beanie Babies, fudge sellers and cheap jewellery are NOT what gun nuts are willing to spend $13-$20 to see. A flea-market atmosphere will kill a gunshow faster than anything.

The cost of tables scares away true collectors who are trying to thin the herd or people who need to dispose of an inherited collection. THAT used to be the norm at gunshows and offered the hope of finding your "Grail Gun". Not so much anymore.

Low quality, possibly bogus parts with no recourse for return or refund just makes online shopping that much more attractive.

I have been attending gunshows since the 1970s. They are not what they used to be. If they do not reinvent themselves, I fear they will just go away without any help from Liberal-Progressives.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alright, I'll bite.

Anticipate poor parking and fairly rude people (the attendees).
Expect the wrong powder you're looking for, if you are.
If you find .22lr, it will be priced at bargain rate of .80 cents a round.
If you're looking for a KSG, like I've been for almost a year there, Trader Jerry's and the others will happily sell you one for $300 over MSRP.
Expect a line of 15 deep to get your knives sharpened for free.
Fudge, lots of fudge.
The sounds of stun guns zapping every 10 minutes.
Glock 22 factory 22rnd mags for $15 over the most expensive websites.
Knives, knives, knives.

I essentially spend $13 to look around, get bumped into for an hour without a single "Hey, sorry", and look at literally the worst deals possible.  Disclaimer - I have had several positive experiences with QT and their good deals - $8 PMAGS, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha. I was meaning more of how large of a crowd will there be this weekend?. Most of the shows in 2015 were very pleasant to attend because they were not overly large crowds. Only had issues finding parking at one that I recall. Never stood in line to get in.

I figured the high number of junk dealers was a given.

Also figured high prices would be standard with some dealers. I often find myself laughing at some of the hand gun prices some of the dealers charge. How the hell do they sell anything?

I miss Dark Sun as well but I have to be fair to Trader Jerry's. They were the only dealer I bought a gun from this year while at the show. Not including some lowers at QT. I find they seem to have lower prices then others but not on everything. Last show I found the gun I had been looking for at a price I was willing to pay. Decided to buy it but had a dispute with the dealer with the finally price. I walked over to Trader Jerry's and found the same gun. They dropped their price to match the list price of the other dealer. I walked out with my gun. I have only had positive experiences with Jerry's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll probably make it out sat morning for a bit.  Still trying to unload a beretta and a CZ....
View Quote

Which CZ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ha. I was meaning more of how large of a crowd will there be this weekend?. Most of the shows in 2015 were very pleasant to attend because they were not overly large crowds. Only had issues finding parking at one that I recall. Never stood in line to get in.

View Quote

If I were to guess, because of the holiday lots of people have off on the 1st  and it will be crowded as f%ck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I figured the high number of junk dealers was a given.

Also figured high prices would be standard with some dealers. I often find myself laughing at some of the hand gun prices some of the dealers charge. How the hell do they sell anything?

I miss Dark Sun as well but I have to be fair to Trader Jerry's. They were the only dealer I bought a gun from this year while at the show. Not including some lowers at QT. I find they seem to have lower prices then others but not on everything. Last show I found the gun I had been looking for at a price I was willing to pay. Decided to buy it but had a dispute with the dealer with the finally price. I walked over to Trader Jerry's and found the same gun. They dropped their price to match the list price of the other dealer. I walked out with my gun. I have only had positive experiences with Jerry's.
View Quote

I've had no experience with them, so I certainly wasn't calling them out.  They are just a company I visit every trip to price KSG's.  Now I'm not even sure I want one anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Taking my sister and her daughter there for my niece to look for her first gun.  Going Friday even though I know there won't be many deals and it will be extremely crowded.   I'd like her to handle each gun and then if she decides and if the price isn't good...  I'll just use gun genie.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

If you're looking for a KSG, like I've been for almost a year there, Trader Jerry's and the others will happily sell you one for $300 over MSRP.
Fudge, lots of fudge.
The sounds of stun guns zapping every 10 minutes.SECONDS
Knives, knives, knives.

I essentially spend $13 to look around, get bumped into for an hour without a single "Hey, sorry", and look at literally the worst deals possible.  Disclaimer - I have had several positive experiences with QT and their good deals - $8 PMAGS, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
Knives, knives, knives.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Which CZ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which CZ?

Yes tell us which Then again... considering I purchased 4 suppressors today, I probably shouldn't buy anything else.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
Knives, knives, knives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
Knives, knives, knives.

bullseye guns in leesburg has had a bunch of ksg's. facebook message them for price,
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Spilling over from Walmart lot as of 2:15
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like it's going to be a zoo. Line down the side of the building to get in.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Snap, snap, snap.

Snap, snap, snap.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Freezing my ass off waiting in line at this  very moment...posting from phone...wrapped around to the back of the building...

If i die before we get there, you can eat my body...
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Lines are up to an hour wait to hand over money and bump around people. 30 min in and still past willards same for other side. Bring a coat.
Selling my parking spot for 20.00 dollars. It was a nice drive from Winchester just going to turn around and go back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Had to run over to Lowes, so I was going to stop in. At 3:20 the line on the one side was past Jimmy John's and the other one had almost wrapped around the back. Yeah, no thanks...  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
WJLA news crew is waiting in their car. I'm sure they are planning a fair and even handed report.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<SNIP>

Haha - yeah, I guess that's more accurate.  I've tuned it out after the first time it scared the shit out of me.

Quoted:
bullseye guns in leesburg has had a bunch of ksg's. facebook message them for price,

I don't Facebook, but I'll look them up.  

Geez... sorry for everyone who when to the show.  We all knew it'd be busy, but that's too crazy for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WJLA news crew is waiting in their car. I'm sure they are planning a fair and even handed report.

View Quote

WTF is that about?  Getting a little footage to go along with their reports on Obama's gun control measures he's planning to enact?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WTF is that about?  Getting a little footage to go along with their reports on Obama's gun control measures he's planning to enact?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "4th Estate" is really the 5th Column.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#25]
The center line was very short and not many people knew about it.  I was in the long line near the extension. Approximately 30-40 minutes to get in.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got back.

Got there at 2:45, took until about 4 to get in. Not ideal, but not totally unexpected.

When i left around 6, quotes were about an hour to run checks, which by itself deterred me from buying anything worthwhile.

Prices were actually far more reasonable than I've ever seen. I even saw the brand new Ruger pistol for $489, not even close to bad considering it's been on the market for 3 days. Bushys and DPMS all priced sub-600, new M&P Sports for $629, which isn't bad either all things considered. Wasn't in the market for Ammo so didn't even bother looking, but still saw $50 bricks of .22 so figured it wasn't even worth the time. Definitely a lot more serious tables with some decent AR gear selection and pleasantly light on jerky and t-shirt tables.

Grabbed a CMMG lower kit for $39 as a quality set of spares, a Tapco stock wrench for $9 and called it a day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Boy, was it packed! One of the lines snaked all the way back to Willard's! The show wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Prices were decent (for gun shows). Bought an entire vendor's supply of NIW factory Beretta 20 round mags with extended sleeves for $10/each! A S&W 642 for $350, and a Beretta 92FS for an okay price of $580. Also grabbed some 38 Special +P Speer Gold Dot that I can't find online. So not a bad show for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#28]
It was a zoo. I got there at 2:45 and when I saw the lines, I got back in the truck to stay warm until the crowds thinned. That didn't happen, and when I decided to get in line about 3:15, the lines were even longer. (By that thime, there were no more parking spaces.) I finally got in the door around 4, and in the menatime, I had many thoughts about leaving and going home.

Inside, it seemed a bit more organized than last time, with some vendors being "promoted" to prime spaces. Prices were about the same, but there was more buyer interest. If this keeps up, prices are bound to rise.

The large crowd may be due to the holiday, or may partially be due to the beginnings of a panic. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe how crowded it was. I'm going to go to the one in february I believe. Hopefully it won't be ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes tell us which Then again... considering I purchased 4 suppressors today, I probably shouldn't buy anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which CZ?

P07 worked over by CGW and threaded.  Also looking to move a pre B 75.   Funding some SBR projects, so not looking for trades.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to head out to be there around 3 when the doors opened but got to do some daddy duty for a little bit. I did not get there until 3:45. I figured the lines would be gone by then so was not worried. BUT then I got there. I did not even pull into the lot. One line was all the way around and back past Jimmy Johns (or what ever its called). The other line I could see the end of as I drove past and it was wrapped around the back side. There was maybe 50 to 100 yards between the end of both lines meeting. No freaking way was I standing in lines that long. They were the worst lines I have ever seen 45 minutes after the doors opened.

After reading the prices seem fair, I may try again tomorrow. Maybe go about 1ish or so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
Knives, knives, knives.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'll bite.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
Knives, knives, knives.

Brother you forgot Jerky and stale BO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Heading up in the morning.. Long drive from Lexington
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Got there at 7pm.
No lines, walked right in.
3-day pass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Ugh.  Hearing about the lines making me rethink going today.  Was wondering if I could score reasonably priced .300BLK ammo...now thinking online might be better bet.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Ugh.  Hearing about the lines making me rethink going today.  Was wondering if I could score reasonably priced .300BLK ammo...now thinking online might be better bet.

View Quote

I didn't look for that specific ammo, but all of the ammo I did see.....was priced higher than online.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Not by too much though - maybe $10-20 higher. In the end, it's more convenient to have the stuff shipped to your front door than lug it all the way back to your car.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you both.  Saved me the drive.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't get to the show but saw some of the local TV coverage.  The WJLA story was about what I expected from the local media.  The reporter's shots included some AR's, Tapco'ed rifles, and a Hi-Point carbine so the ugly "assault rifles" were highlighted for the soccer moms.  The commentary was all about BHO's upcoming Executive Actions and how it may have impacted the size of the crowd.  Then they cut to what was described as one of the larger dealers there but he wasn't identified.  Whatever the length of the original interview it was cut so all that was shown was the guy saying pretty much, "Nobody objects to keeping guns away from bad guys."  It was obviously part of a larger statement but it made it look like the guy supported the upcoming actions of Obama.  The Fox 5 story was a bit more objective and actually had attendees saying they objected to additional government action.

I just don't understand why the show's organizer didn't keep the media out of there.  Just make a no photography rule that applies to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#40]
The pictures on channel 5 seemed to be hidden cameras except for the interviews.
Two people set up at the Walmart lot next to expo taking stills.
Make shure you smile for the cameras.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Ugh...I'm bored.  What are the lines like today?

Never mind...decided I'm not that bored.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I went this morning @ 9 A.M.  Got in within 5 minutes.  I was looking for a used Remington 870 shotgun, but there were very few to be found and the ones that were there were about $200 overpriced.  Even the 870 Express I found was marked up $50.00 from what I could get it at Dick's or Bass Pro for.  It got very crowded within an hour and I ended up just buying a 1881-O Morgan Silver dollar for a good price shockingly and some $8.00 Tapco AK Mags, just so I wouldn't leave empty handed.  :)  Wanted some SCAR mags, but they were $59.99 for FDE, $20.00 over priced.  

Selection was pretty good, there were some KSGs at the SSG table, along with a black FNH SCAR-17S, but it was marked at $3000.00.  Another shop out of Tazewell VA had a few DPMS .308s new in the box for $799.99, the owner was very polite and personable too.  If I didn't have a SCAR already, I would have grabbed it at that price.  They were all gone by the time I left at 11 A.M.

Honestly, it was worth $13.00 to check out even if I didn't find what I was looking for.  Parking looked tough when I left:  There were three vehicles gunning for my parking spot when I pulled out; much honking commenced behind me, so I'm not sure how that worked out!  

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Got there about 1:45 today . Drove around for 15 min looking for parking . Wife texted me to get her paint on the way home, so I just went to Lowes then home.

Too crowded, looked like a 5 min line to get in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Arrived from Lexington @ 9:50 am..

Parked at MalWart, had to purchase some reading glasses anyway, I forgot mine

Walked right in on the left side...

Purchased a HK VP40 My first and only will ever be, striker fired pistol..

Left around 1, the left side had a live of about 50 people... Told them all was sold out and to go home..

No one listened

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thought I would take the opportunity to walk on this thread.  

We have been working a large military program with FN.  Their LE division found out about it and signed us up for their LE/Military/1st Responder program.  

If eligible, you'll be able to walk into our Potomac Mills store and get a SCAR-17S for $2,650.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....along with a black FNH SCAR-17S, but it was marked at $3000.00......  If I didn't have a SCAR already, I would have grabbed it at that price.  They were all gone by the time I left at 11 A.M.

Thought I would take the opportunity to walk on this thread.  

We have been working a large military program with FN.  Their LE division found out about it and signed us up for their LE/Military/1st Responder program.  

If eligible, you'll be able to walk into our Potomac Mills store and get a SCAR-17S for $2,650.  

QT, I was just down there last week, you guys did a transfer for me and I picked up a couple of windowed PMAGs and some .308 ammo while I was there as thanks for the cheap FFL transfer.  If it is the same as the LE/MIL program as the M&P15 I got from you guys as a Reservist, I'll have to keep that in mind.  I already have a black SCAR-17S, but maybe a FDE is for me too!  Any chance of you guys doing layaway on these?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It will be the same Military/LE program.

Yes, we have a lay-away.  If I recall correctly, it is 1/3 down, 1/3 at 30 days and the remainder at 60 days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it is the same as the LE/MIL program as the M&P15 I got from you guys as a Reservist, I'll have to keep that in mind.  I already have a black SCAR-17S, but maybe a FDE is for me too!  Any chance of you guys doing layaway on these?  

It will be the same Military/LE program.

Yes, we have a lay-away.  If I recall correctly, it is 1/3 down, 1/3 at 30 days and the remainder at 60 days.

Sweet!  That will work out great.  I will call them Monday with my credit card and fax in a copy of my CAC if it isn't already on file.  My credit card is going to melt.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Though there were tons of people at the show on Fri/Sat, sales were somewhat slow.   On Sunday, despite the much smaller crowds, sales just exploded.  Oddly enough it was almost all handguns, the ARs and AKs we had sat but pistols, especially S&W, sold like crazy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I made the drive out from Marylandistan on Sunday. Got there around 11 and stayed till 5. Walked right in with no lines at all. Crowd wasn't too bad, but had a few thugs bump into us. Spent a lot of time looking for a carry pistol for the misses. Snagged a few little things here and there (including peanut butter fudge). A buddy of mine that came along ended up buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmore for just over $1500 out the door. Not too bad considering no one has them in stock around here.

I think I will be headed back on valentines day to see if I can find some quality upper build parts. Considering what my state calls a gun show, I am never disapointed in VA.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top