Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2015 3:18:49 PM EDT
Saw a nice buck this morning but couldn't get in an ethical shot on him.  Hoping to harvest him this afternoon, I plan to be ready nearly two hours before sunset.  Thoughts/stories?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Any luck?

I haven't been hunting yet, but suspect the rutt has been in full effect and those bucks should on the move a lot, so I'd set up with the priority being extended surveillance and any pattern on the does/yearlings.  Typical for evening hunts I take a heavy bullet (my 8mm is a fav) and bust them in shoulder as to rule out any possibility of night time tracking.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any luck?

I haven't been hunting yet, but suspect the rutt has been in full effect and those bucks should on the move a lot, so I'd set up with the priority being extended surveillance and any pattern on the does/yearlings.  Typical for evening hunts I take a heavy bullet (my 8mm is a fav) and bust them in shoulder as to rule out any possibility of night time tracking.  

View Quote

I saw a monster buck Saturday morning and didn't feel like I could take an ethical shot on him.  All I had open was the upper neck/spine at 110 yards.  Been in the same spot morning and afternoon, counting this morning, since then.  Wore the same descented clothes, in the same hide/spot, nothing changed.  Haven't seen a damn thing since Saturday.  I think I need a new spot to hunt on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if it's the sudden drop in temperature, the rut winding down or what, but areas where I was routinely at least seeing deer are now completely dead.  I'm going to take another look at the topo maps, rehang some trail cams and see if I can figure out the new pattern,
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's the sudden drop in temperature, the rut winding down or what, but areas where I was routinely at least seeing deer are now completely dead.  I'm going to take another look at the topo maps, rehang some trail cams and see if I can figure out the new pattern,
View Quote

I'm hearing similar reports about it being "a weird rut this year" on a VA specific hunting forum.  I'm quite frustrated.  My family loves venison.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm hearing similar reports about it being "a weird rut this year" on a VA specific hunting forum.  I'm quite frustrated.  My family loves venison.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot a doe if you need venison.  Not sure how much hunting you've done but a buck in rut usually doesn't taste as good as a less hormonal doe.  Everyone loves to shoot a big ol' buck so if you want his antlers then by all means go for it, but a buck in rut isn't on the same pattern as he was late summer.  He's chasing tail and will cover a huge area doing so.   He might not come back through that area for two weeks, assuming someone on neighboring property didn't kill him already.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shoot a doe if you need venison.  Not sure how much hunting you've done but a buck in rut usually doesn't taste as good as a less hormonal doe.  Everyone loves to shoot a big ol' buck so if you want his antlers then by all means go for it, but a buck in rut isn't on the same pattern as he was late summer.  He's chasing tail and will cover a huge area doing so.   He might not come back through that area for two weeks, assuming someone on neighboring property didn't kill him already.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, like I said, I haven't even seen a doe since seeing that buck.  I shot a doe this year and will hopefully do so this year as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone head out this weekend?  

I went out to a property early this morning and shot a nice fat doe about 10 minutes after first light.  While dressing and dragging I saw 11 more deer, a couple of them good sized bucks.   I don't know if it was the sudden drop in temps to below freezing this morning, but the deer were really moving today.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the rut hit a bit early this year. Activity was awesome during archery, muzzleoader, and first few weeks of rifle. Deer seem to be rather lethargic right now. I do pay attention to the lunar cycle and it it agrees with the lack of activity present.

This was the first weekend I have not hunted since the season opened but so far it has been a record book one for me and the girl. 4 nice 8 pointers and one accidental spike. Time to whack some more does to fill all the extra freezers.

Jeff, I believe your deer is on the hunt for some whitetail himself. He is probably ranging fairly far out unless the hunting pressure in your area is great. If so, find the thick nasty areas that have been left alone and void of all activity, he might be there.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe the rut hit a bit early this year. Activity was awesome during archery, muzzleoader, and first few weeks of rifle. Deer seem to be rather lethargic right now. I do pay attention to the lunar cycle and it it agrees with the lack of activity present.

This was the first weekend I have not hunted since the season opened but so far it has been a record book one for me and the girl. 4 nice 8 pointers and one accidental spike. Time to whack some more does to fill all the extra freezers.

Jeff, I believe your deer is on the hunt for some whitetail himself. He is probably ranging fairly far out unless the hunting pressure in your area is great. If so, find the thick nasty areas that have been left alone and void of all activity, he might be there.

Good luck.
View Quote

What area of the state are you in? I'm in the NRV and it was wayyy late for us this year. Usually it is during muzzle loader in the first 2 weeks of Nov. but this year it hit pretty much right on opening day of rifle on the 14th. Seems like it was over just as fast as it started though, the latter part of thanksgiving week when I was off and hunting I didn't see anything hardly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
You may be right,but I seem to remember the rut being mid November in years past. I can be forgetful though. After thinking more about the timing of the rut, I will say that it seems to be in the normal window but hell if I know.

I hunt from Orange Co to Prince William Co
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the rutt was a bit more nocturnal during it's prime.  I certainly saw lot's of dead roadside deer 3 weeks ago.  I often see a lesser second rutt in late December.  I'm primarily a meat hunter though and try to avoid this.   I keep holding out for cooler weather, so it might be Christmas before I'm serious about the venison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top