Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2015 7:02:33 AM EDT
http://bearingdrift.com/2015/10/26/foia-supervisor-john-foust-and-allies-caught-engineering-gun-store-controversy/

In the safe and quiet Washington suburb of McLean, VA, community tensions are running high following a gun store’s decision to relocate next to Franklin Sherman Elementary School during the course of a busy and hotly-contested election season.

The controversy began on Sep. 26th, when NoVA Firearms moved to its new location adjacent to Franklin Sherman Elementary School, from its old location three blocks away. This new location was not the gun store’s first choice, as months prior, its owners attempted to move to Arlington, in a location away from schools and parks, only to witness their efforts thwarted by politicians.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they are modeling their behavior after the Community Agitator in Chief.  Never let a crisis go to waste....and when you don't have a real crisis to exploit, engineer a fake one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that the gun store suffered a burglary over the weekend and that 2 handguns were stolen.

This isn't a helpful development.

I really want to support this new store.  

But I think they may lack experience and I hope they can improve on their physical security to prevent something like this happening in the future.

Edit:  seems rumor was true:

http://wtop.com/arlnow-com/2015/12/morning-notes-1356/
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the anti-gun agitators committed the break-in - grabbing only 2 guns seems like a pretty lame criminal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/12/17/alleged-serial-robber-arrested-in-brewster/

Their physical security sucks. The guy was in/out in under 1 minute. This is what safes were invented for. I was going to go in and visit, maybe buy a little something to support a small business, nope.  Stolen guns are the  principal way dirt bags get guns, think about this for a second and reconsider leaving your "truck gun" in your vehicle all the time.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/12/17/alleged-serial-robber-arrested-in-brewster/

Their physical security sucks. The guy was in/out in under 1 minute. This is what safes were invented for. I was going to go in and visit, maybe buy a little something to support a small business, nope.  Stolen guns are the  principal way dirt bags get guns, think about this for a second and reconsider leaving your "truck gun" in your vehicle all the time.

View Quote

Typical 'blame the victim' mentality.
Do you blame women for getting raped?

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.

No, but if a parent leaves a gun where a kid gets to it (because safes are expensive) do we defend the parent?    

As far as an FFL, if this becomes a recurring problem with this store then I'd say they dont belong in business.  If it is a one time thing, hey shit happens.  

Im moving VERY close to here so I'd like to see as many gun stores within a short drive of me as possible.  But only if they are competent and actually know how to run a business.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.

For an FFL they are well worth the money compared to dealing with the ATF after filing a stolen gun report, and with filing insurance claims.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For an FFL they are well worth the money compared to dealing with the ATF after filing a stolen gun report, and with filing insurance claims.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get off it.
Safes are expensive.

So how a good a safe should be 'required'?

Around the Washington DC area file drawer safes are common and relatively easily obtained.
We have used them for documents in SCIFs for years.

Based on police response times they should be more than adequate with a decent alarm system (motion sensing of a compete perimeter).

Leaving a firearm accessible to a child is a far cry from having to use 1,000 pound plus 4-drawer file cabinet safes.

A simple padlocked storage cabinet would be more than adequate.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The handguns were left relatively unsecured on showroom floor.  I wont elaborate further.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top