BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In short. Commuting on he metro is the fucking WORST. Follow unsuck the DC Metro in Twitter for evidence.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am more of an AK guy if I have to be totally honest, but I've got two ARs, a PWS MK220 (308) and MK114 upper (556) on a lower I put together.  Theyre both piston guns as I had a very low opinion of DI ARs from my time in the Army.  Since then Ive decided to give them another chance, but I didn't have the money to buy the DI rifle I wanted (Daniel Defense), so I just have lived without.  But after I get a few paychecks from my new job Id be willing to buy a rifle that complies with the rules if it means I can play with the big boys lol.  

Ill admit Im not a great shot, I just enjoy the company of most shooters and I like slowly getting better and more familiar with my guns.

You know what, I do have a question.  What do you guys think of the Metro?  I've been looking at some maps and saw there are two lines, one starting west of Vienna and another one just south of Springfield.  Im not even sure if either of those lines goes anywhere near my job, but putting that aside, I'd just like to hear your guy's thoughts on commuting on the metro.

In short. Commuting on he metro is the fucking WORST. Follow unsuck the DC Metro in Twitter for evidence.

I disagree.  I commute on Metro every single day and greatly prefer it over driving into DC.  In general, a lot of the unpleasantness on metro happens on the green line - to the extend possible, stick to the other lines and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on where you live/work and your work schedule. Come up 95 and work normal business hours will be terrible. Come in from out west and start early, very doable. Really any commute will work with the right schedule and flexibility. Without that I would live in close and deal with the small place at high prices. That or drive 1.5 - 2 hours each way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So the Metro sucks ass and a Trump Carson or Cruz victory will improve the quality of people in the area.  Interesting. So is driving still the best way to commute?  

Im a Cruz guy myself :)
View Quote

Always has before.  One administration's lackeys leave (mostly... some manage to burrow in), the new ones come in.

As for commuting... they each have their own sets of frustrations/headaches.

Drive = crawl along in hideous traffic really, really wanting to kill some assholes.
Metro - Good luck finding parking (that you pay for) then being jammed in a metrorail car which might, sometimes run on time, like a sardine.  Standing up.  Good luck getting a seat unless you get on at the end of the line.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
P
Quoted:

I disagree.  I commute on Metro every single day and greatly prefer it over driving into DC.  In general, a lot of the unpleasantness on metro happens on the green line - to the extend possible, stick to the other lines and you'll be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am more of an AK guy if I have to be totally honest, but I've got two ARs, a PWS MK220 (308) and MK114 upper (556) on a lower I put together.  Theyre both piston guns as I had a very low opinion of DI ARs from my time in the Army.  Since then Ive decided to give them another chance, but I didn't have the money to buy the DI rifle I wanted (Daniel Defense), so I just have lived without.  But after I get a few paychecks from my new job Id be willing to buy a rifle that complies with the rules if it means I can play with the big boys lol.  

Ill admit Im not a great shot, I just enjoy the company of most shooters and I like slowly getting better and more familiar with my guns.

You know what, I do have a question.  What do you guys think of the Metro?  I've been looking at some maps and saw there are two lines, one starting west of Vienna and another one just south of Springfield.  Im not even sure if either of those lines goes anywhere near my job, but putting that aside, I'd just like to hear your guy's thoughts on commuting on the metro.

Just saw this on Metro.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/transportation/why-does-metro-suck-dangerous-accidents-escalator-outages.php
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Metro sucks but if you work in city it is probably only practical way to commute. IF you are working for a contractor in suburbs ask about parking at your work site - it may or may not be available.

DC is a fun city to be in nowadays if you are young and single.  There really is not much to do in suburbs once you get outside beltway. I was single until last summer and I found I was always going into DC/Arlington/Alexandria as Fairfax is so dead.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I drive an F150 so ya I might have to try the metro to avoid parking issues/traffic.  

I just found a group hosted by my church where people post lots of room listings.  Its usually like townhomes or apartments in neighborhoods all over Arlington (Rosslyn, Crystal City..etc)  that I'd be sharing with multiple roommates (usually college students or interns) but the rents are like $600-$700 + utilities.  Not ideal for privacy but it saves me a ton on rent and it might be a good way for me to make friends.  Maybe Im being naive.  Anybody here ever have a housing situation like this?  Any pros or cons I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Screen roommates carefully. In most of those situations there is one primary tenant who kind of owns the relationship with the landlord, OR the landlord lives in one bedroom of the house.

In NoVa you could have a house full of awesome people who like sports, beer, guns, whatever. Or you could have a house full of vegan-hippies who hate sports because they are violent. You could also have people who are complete drunkards who will want to play with your guns while you are at work (ask me how I know...). You could make the best friends you will ever have, or you could wind up with restraining orders against each other. All based on how you pick/screen the living situation and the people.

-shooter
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Screen roommates carefully. In most of those situations there is one primary tenant who kind of owns the relationship with the landlord, OR the landlord lives in one bedroom of the house.

In NoVa you could have a house full of awesome people who like sports, beer, guns, whatever. Or you could have a house full of vegan-hippies who hate sports because they are violent. You could also have people who are complete drunkards who will want to play with your guns while you are at work (ask me how I know...). You could make the best friends you will ever have, or you could wind up with restraining orders against each other. All based on how you pick/screen the living situation and the people.

-shooter
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up shooter.  What Im gonna end up doing I think is getting a comfort inn type hotel for a week or two while I find a room/housing situation that I am very comfortable with.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top