Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2015 3:50:11 AM EDT
I just got a contingent job offer in Mclean.  I know that generally, Virginia is pretty good with gun laws but whats the situation like that close to DC?  

A little info about me.  Im a 25 year old army vet, divorced and my kids are staying with their mom (were keeping it 50/50 custody as we are on positive terms), so it'll just be me making the move.  Well, maybe a girlfriend too, not sure yet.  The job has a base salary of $72k and it looks like it'll be easy to get plenty of overtime if I want it.  

Is Mclean a reasonable place to live?  Area vibes gives it A's in every category except cost of housing.  And what about CCW/gun rights, are there many things I need to know?  Sorry this post is all over the place, Im still in shock from getting this offer.

EDIT: I got offered the job and its actually in DC not Mclean. So please disregard anything here about Mclean. If anything Im interested in Arlington now
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
McLean is a fine place to work, horrible place to live money-wise.

One of the more expensive, as a matter of fact.

I would look at housing in Vienna or one of the communities nearby McLean.

As far as gun laws, we have state pre-emption here in VA, so local communities can NOT make any firearm law more strict than state law.

VA is shall issue CCW, open carry legal, NFA friendly (with a few local exceptions).

More info:

http://vcdl.org/CarryInfo

THE reason we have such good gun laws is The Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Once you get settled in, please join us and help us continue the fight! http://vcdl.org

Best,

MG
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]

^^^ +1 on VCDL ^^^

The bigger shock than the cost of housing will be the TRAFFIC!  Keep in mind NOTHING is close, time wise, during morning & evening work traffic.  For example I live in Fredericksburg and work Springfield, a close 39 mile commute (only 3 miles of which is NOT interstate).  Depending on the 15min. window of time that I leave, home or work, the actual drive can be from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours (with NO accidents).

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Virginia has statewide preemption. http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/15.2-915/

This is the CHP law http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308/

We also have NO statute aw for lethal force for anyone. Including the police.

The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide (Bloomfield Press) is an excellent refercance to all the common (case) law.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Mclean on $72k?

Basement apartment with a roommate.

24/7 rush hour traffic.

You might save some $$$ on food though.
Politics there should nauseated you sufficiently to suppress your appetite.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Your user name makes me think we should have a conversation via PM, email, or phone. I am on one of the mirrors, so I can't get/send PMs right now, but if you PM me a phone number I can call you when I leave the building.

As a single guy, you could actually live reasonably close to McLean on that. In fact, I know someone who is about to be looking for a roommate or two in Vienna in a decent house that isn't far from the McLean/Tyson's world. What is your timeframe?

-shooter

ETA: What is the contingency? Clearance passing over? Contract Award? Client approval? If contract award, don't get excited. If the others, there are better odds it works out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't let the others scare you - you can live in a killer apartment in that area on $72k a year.  I did, with a nice sports car, to boot!  And I made a little less than you'd be making.  Granted, I was single and didn't do much, but had a nice crib and lived 5.1 miles from work and could hit the bars up on Friday night.

My point is you have a lot of options other than "someone's basement", so ignore that nonsense.  But as Bulldog said, McLean/Vienna is an expensive area overall in terms of homes/townhomes.  Lots of old money.  But if you're cool with an apartment, they are pretty damn nice ones in that area.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as gun laws, we have state pre-emption here in VA, so local communities can NOT make any firearm law more strict than state law.

VA is shall issue CCW, open carry legal, NFA friendly (with a few local exceptions).

More info:

Once you get settled in, please join us and help us continue the fight! http://vcdl.org

Best,

MG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

More info:

Best,

MG

Will definitely look into the VCDL.  Ive been in CA for the last 18 months and Ive been very involved with the CA equivilent, Calguns.  Ive also attended a few NRA member council meetings and done a few range cleanups on BLM land.  And thats despite CA being a total soul killer and Calguns being like a single beaver trying to dam the Mississippi.  If the VCDL actually manages to keep those bastards in the legislature at bay, you better believe I'll be joining them in that fight!  It'd be amazing to be on the winning side for once lol

Quoted:
^^^ +1 on VCDL ^^^
The bigger shock than the cost of housing will be the TRAFFIC!  Keep in mind NOTHING is close, time wise, during morning & evening work traffic.  For example I live in Fredericksburg and work Springfield, a close 39 mile commute (only 3 miles of which is NOT interstate).  Depending on the 15min. window of time that I leave, home or work, the actual drive can be from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours (with NO accidents).

Thats what I had heard which is why I wanted to just find a (relatively) cheap apartment super close to work.  Ideally Id have a manufactured home on a few acres but that doesnt seem feasible that close to DC (without adding a crazy commute AND hurting my ability to save up $$$ which is the entire reason Im doing this).  

I enjoyed W_E_G's comment but I assure you that coming from CA, I have already learned to live without food, or at least with the taste of bile never leaving me.  

Quoted:
Don't let the others scare you - you can live in a killer apartment in that area on $72k a year.  I did, with a nice sports car, to boot!  And I made a little less than you'd be making.  Granted, I was single and didn't do much, but had a nice crib and lived 5.1 miles from work and could hit the bars up on Friday night.

My point is you have a lot of options other than "someone's basement", so ignore that nonsense.  But as Bulldog said, McLean/Vienna is an expensive area overall in terms of homes/townhomes.  Lots of old money.  But if you're cool with an apartment, they are pretty damn nice ones in that area.

I dont drink (I know I know, Im a weirdo) but Ill find something interesting to do on friday nights.  But thanks for the input.  Im not a big apartment type guy (Im gonna miss my dogs so bad) but it is what it is.  Im almost treating this like an extended deployment where I sacrifice the things I care about in order to succeed at work and make money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I dont drink (I know I know, Im a weirdo) but Ill find something interesting to do on friday nights.  But thanks for the input.  Im not a big apartment type guy (Im gonna miss my dogs so bad) but it is what it is.  Im almost treating this like an extended deployment where I sacrifice the things I care about in order to succeed at work and make money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, plenty of non-drinkers here.  But if you like cigars, that's another story!

Oh, join the VCDL and then go to ESS.  It is an exceptional gun range (Link - ESS) you'll find it quite fun, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nah, plenty of non-drinkers here.  But if you like cigars, that's another story!

Oh, join the VCDL and then go to ESS.  It is an exceptional gun range (Link - ESS) you'll find it quite fun, I'm sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!  ESS sounds awesome.   $35/month for unlimited range time...       Now thats what I wanted to know!  

Will the shoot house be open to all members or just to LEO and instructors/classes?
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in McLean and it is expensive.  You will definitely have sticker shock in NOVA.  For an apartment check out the Ashby.  Nice and the cheapest (and really only) apartment building right in McLean.  Personally I'd steer clear of Vienna.  Traffic on 123 between Vienna and McLean is about the worst you'll find.  

As a young single guy, look at places in Arlington or Reston.  You'd find a lot more socially and still close.  Not cheap either.  ESS is the best range around and about 30 minutes from McLean with no traffic.  If you try to go in the evening - its at least an hour.

good luck!

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't let the others scare you - you can live in a killer apartment in that area on $72k a year. I did, with a nice sports car, to boot! And I made a little less than you'd be making. Granted, I was single and didn't do much, but had a nice crib and lived 5.1 miles from work and could hit the bars up on Friday night.
View Quote

The irony of a guy with a user name of "lowcash" posting about lavish lifestyles in NOVA on $72K.

You really don't have any idea how expensive kids are do you?

Lets start with the college tuition calculator: http://www.savingforcollege.com/college-savings-calculator/
And remember, the tuition part is only HALF of what it will cost.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The irony of a guy with a user name of "lowcash" posting about lavish lifestyles in NOVA on $72K.

Lets start with the college tuition calculator: http://www.savingforcollege.com/college-savings-calculator/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't let the others scare you - you can live in a killer apartment in that area on $72k a year. I did, with a nice sports car, to boot! And I made a little less than you'd be making. Granted, I was single and didn't do much, but had a nice crib and lived 5.1 miles from work and could hit the bars up on Friday night.

My user name means what I am?  So WEG is obviously "Wow, Egregiously Stupid"?  Kind of a dumb statement in retrospect, don't you think?

Lavish living in an apartment?    You're beyond weird.

The many members here that have been to my home (very nice home - not an apartment ) know I have kids going to college soon, so yeah, I kinda have an idea of what it costs - because I pre-paid.

I don't know what you're butthurt about, but put your big boy pants on and get over it, I definitely pushed your buttons.  

But please tell me about the costs of college and how expensive kids are, I'm waiting with baited breath.  Or eject now with dignity.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Your user name makes me think we should have a conversation via PM, email, or phone.
View Quote

LOL, I clocked that too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in McLean and it is expensive.  You will definitely have sticker shock in NOVA.  For an apartment check out the Ashby.  Nice and the cheapest (and really only) apartment building right in McLean.  Personally I'd steer clear of Vienna.  Traffic on 123 between Vienna and McLean is about the worst you'll find.  

As a young single guy, look at places in Arlington or Reston.  You'd find a lot more socially and still close.  Not cheap either.  ESS is the best range around and about 30 minutes from McLean with no traffic.  If you try to go in the evening - its at least an hour.

good luck!

View Quote

FIFY.  The libs in Arlington WILL make you batshit crazy.  There's another thread in here with a pic of Arlington Cty's ballot for Nov 3rd.   All D, all running unopposed, except for one Green Party (becasue D isn't liberal enough.)

OTOH, you'll get more ass than a toilet seat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL, I clocked that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your user name makes me think we should have a conversation via PM, email, or phone.

LOL, I clocked that too.

If this is an OPSEC conversation you want to have, theres no need.  I know my username probably looks like a red flag but Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't drink.  Nobodies getting much info out of me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mclean on $72k?

Basement apartment with a roommate.

24/7 rush hour traffic.

You might save some $$$ on food though.
Politics there should nauseated you sufficiently to suppress your appetite.
View Quote

wEG and  bulldog are great guys both.  

I live in McLean, and I tend to agree with them.

OP: McLean is full of families with kids (and many retirees).  Schools are awesome - but your kids are living primarily with their mom.  I live here because the land will hold its value as long as DC is our capitol and because it's in the middle of mine & wife's workplaces (actually - the "middle" would be in DC but there is NO way I'd consider living there!).  Plus, my kids school is awesome.  My immediate neighbors in McLean are great; but there are a lot of lefties on the loose in the area.

If I were you, I'd rent someplace where there are a lot of 20 somethings - like maybe Clarendon in the People's Republik of Arlington - where there's more night life (if you can stomach all the neo-liberals and America-hating lefties).

McLean is a great place to work and now we have our own, bigger, improved gun shop in a brand new location.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't care what anyone says, McLean ain't cheap to live and $72,000 while a decent chunk of change, won't get you too far. Now, you won't be doing bad, but to get a decent place with at least two bedrooms (if your kids will sleep in the same bedroom) will cost you a decent penny.

A lot of the affordable housing is being bulldozed. I lived off Anderson behind Mitre and ALL of that is going to be going. Pimmit Hills, which was affordable in that area, are all post WWII houses, all going for $600k and being bulldozed to build new houses.

I think others suggestions of Vienna are good. It gets cheaper the other side of the beltway. We are in Tysons (was considered Vienna) and lucked out on finding a nice house for a decent price. My inlaws just moved into the new tower at Tysons and that costs more than our mortgage + insurance + taxes. And it is only 1600sqft!

Personally, I'd look for something out towards Reston. You'll have a bit longer commute, but you'll have more cash to spend.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the input guys.  After looking at zillow and apartmentfinder for hours yesterday Im coming to the conclusion that Mclean is a little more than I want to pay unless I get a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom (which if it was just me would be fine).  With that said though, it looks like I can do more with my money in Arlington or Reston.  I appreciate the advice.

Is it hard to drive a truck in Arlington or Mclean?  I have a F150 and finding parking spots can be a real PITA sometimes.  I dont normally mind a longer walk at grocery stores or restaurants but parallel parking is another monster entirely and it looks like a lot of places Im seeing dont have driveways in the DC area.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Where do you think you are going in Arlington/ Fairfax where there will be on-street parking?

Any on-street parking will be slim - in quality and quantity.

All the parking lots have narrow spaces, and most gated garages don't even allow trucks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
There really isn't street parking in McLean, it is a small community. Arlington, there is a lot, but you won't find spots for a truck. Lots of garage parking but as WEG says, no real parking for trucks.

I'd avoid arlington. You may think it is a reverse commute to McLean, but it isn't. I-66 is a parking lot all hours of the day in both directions. I had a friend that lived in Arlington that worked in Tysons. It was a 40-60 minute commute each way.

If I had kids, Reston is much more "family" friendly. Arlington is just a bunch of young (20-30yo) with money spending it on booze. With a family, Reston is much more family oriented, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Where do you think you are going in Arlington/ Fairfax where there will be on-street parking?

Any on-street parking will be slim - in quality and quantity.

All the parking lots have narrow spaces, and most gated garages don't even allow trucks.
View Quote

Now thats useful information, thank you.  

And Vaguy, thank you for the input as well.  Is there not much else to do in Arlington for a young guy but drink?
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#22]
If you move to Arlington, you'll probably be moved to take up drinking.

Not sure what you are looking for otherwise in such a place.

Sure ain't no rodeo or ski resorts or beaches there.

"Activism" seems popular with certain sets.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you move to Arlington, you'll probably be moved to take up drinking.

Not sure what you are looking for otherwise in such a place.

Sure ain't no rodeo or ski resorts or beaches there.

"Activism" seems popular with certain sets.
View Quote

BwahHahaha!  Awesome. And true.

We moved from Arlington to McLean.

Have I ever told you I appreciate your sense of humor?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#24]
So no rodeos in Arlington lol.  Are there any more conservative/country locations anywhere near DC (on the VA side of the river)?  I dont need horse ranches on every corner but Id rather not be the only guy in town who owns Ariat boots if that makes sense
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Northern VA is blue, through and through.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Northern VA is blue, through and through.
View Quote

This. If you are in FFX County you may find a pocket or two of more conservative folks. But for the most part you need to be out past Loudoun/Fauquier counties if you want to see boots.

Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So no rodeos in Arlington lol.  Are there any more conservative/country locations anywhere near DC (on the VA side of the river)?  I dont need horse ranches on every corner but Id rather not be the only guy in town who owns Ariat boots if that makes sense
View Quote

You might fit in at Nick's Nightclub in Alexandria.  They do line dancing on the weekends.  Lots of good looking girls show up for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]
My recommendation is to look into Fairfax and the edges of Falls Church.  Prices are digestible and it's within a sanity range of driving and traffic.  

As you can tell, VA'ers are very vocal on traffic, cost of living, and political alignments.  

Bottom line, VA is expensive.  Please continue your research and KNOW for sure what you're getting yourself into.  The money you think you can save being here... might not be reality.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FIFY.  The libs in Arlington WILL make you batshit crazy.  There's another thread in here with a pic of Arlington Cty's ballot for Nov 3rd.   All D, all running unopposed, except for one Green Party (becasue D isn't liberal enough.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck!

Arlington is a COUNTY.
While it is well into the loony left, it is a county.

Many D incumbents appear to be bailing (as in not running).
After blowing $1 million on a bus stop proposal and many times that on a propsed 'Aquatic Center' (there is already a pool at each of the three county high schools and plenty of 'club' pools.

The free spending days appear to be grinding to a halt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[ if you want to see boots.

View Quote

It isn't snowing, why would you need boots?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd say look in the un-incorporated parts of Fairfax County.  There are still pockets of conservatism in Fairfax County.  Just understand though that the whole NOVA area is under siege from radical leftists. Keep in mind, the closer you get to DC, the more left-wing the people get.  Traffic is going to suck no matter where you live.  You just have to weigh rent vs. commute time.  McLean and the immediate surrounding area are going to be more expensive than anything in western Fairfax County.  You just have to be willing to suck up the commute.  My commute is about 45 min from Centreville to Vienna when I leave around 0800.  However, I can guarantee my house is a couple hundred thousand cheaper than anything you can buy in Vienna or McLean.  Once you get here, you'll adjust.   I'm just sucking it up until I can retire and get the Hell out of here!
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure what challenges a man more.

Or hiding from Chigurh
At least you've got the right idea with the boots.

Outcome probably is the same.

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[ if you want to see boots.

Its just a preference. I almost never go out anymore without western style boots or Danner boots anymore, except to jog or go to the gym.  

Quoted:
I'd say look in the un-incorporated parts of Fairfax County.  There are still pockets of conservatism in Fairfax County.  Just understand though that the whole NOVA area is under siege from radical leftists. Keep in mind, the closer you get to DC, the more left-wing the people get.  Traffic is going to suck no matter where you live.  You just have to weigh rent vs. commute time.  McLean and the immediate surrounding area are going to be more expensive than anything in western Fairfax County.  You just have to be willing to suck up the commute.  My commute is about 45 min from Centreville to Vienna when I leave around 0800.  However, I can guarantee my house is a couple hundred thousand cheaper than anything you can buy in Vienna or McLean.  Once you get here, you'll adjust.   I'm just sucking it up until I can retire and get the Hell out of here!

I guess Ill come around to the idea of a commute.  Thanks for the tips

And WEG, Ive got a two sided coin Ill let Chigurh flip for me.  Ill be alright ;)
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#34]
So I got offered the job!  

Some corrections, the job is in DC.  How are commutes from Arlington to DC?  

And I already reread everything about Arlington and Im aware that its a liberal Mecca.  But nobody mentions cost of living in Arlington.  Is it even pricier than Mclean due to proximity to DC?  Cheaper, same...etc?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are single & 25  Fairfax County is kinda boring - tho it will be a bit cheaper to rent then inside the beltway.

With rents of 2K and up lots of singles in DC share group houses and such.  Might check out the "DC Libertarian Social Circle" facebook group if you do end up looking for roomates or a group house.

If I was 25 and sngle I'd probably try to find a room in a cool group house in Arlington.

W.E.G. is a good guy - helped me get out of a reckless driving charge not too long ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes Arlington can be more expensive then McLean.  Sun rooms are going for $800-1000 plus utilities and parking.

If your going to work in DC, see if parking is included, otherwise look if work and home are on the subway, aka metro.  Hopefully its not in SE or SW section of DC.

Quoted:
So I got offered the job!  

Some corrections, the job is in DC.  How are commutes from Arlington to DC?  

And I already reread everything about Arlington and Im aware that its a liberal Mecca.  But nobody mentions cost of living in Arlington.  Is it even pricier than Mclean due to proximity to DC?  Cheaper, same...etc?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I don't know the exact location Ill be working at yet but I will definitely keep parking in mind when I look at the housing situation.  

And thanks for the suggestion about the Libertarian group on FB.  Looking into them now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Once you know where in DC you are working that will probably help in deciding on a place to live. Also, are you going to have a chance to visit and check out some places before you move? if you want to metro/drive and still want to live in VA.  Alexandria (right next to arlington and across the river from DC) may be another area to check out with possibly a shorter commute, just depending on where n DC your job actually is.  Still can be expensive though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 8:58:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Congrats on job. If you are young live in Arlington. Lots going on, and plenty of young people to meet. It is expensive and the general rule is, the farther out you go the cheaper it is. I personally think Loudoun is the best place in NOVA but you have to commute.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Hopefully you job is near a METRO station.

In that case rent a crib in ARL near METRO, and skip the daily car ordeal.

If you drive it, plan on paying at least $2000/yr in DC for garage parking.

Expect car insurance to double due to locality.

My range is on 555 acres about an hour out of ARL.
We are mostly about competition, not semi-annual fam-fire discharging.

Good luck with the new gig.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hopefully you job is near a METRO station.

In that case rent a crib in ARL near METRO, and skip the daily car ordeal.

If you drive it, plan on paying at least $2000/yr in DC for garage parking.

Expect car insurance to double due to locality.

My range is on 555 acres about an hour out of ARL.
We are mostly about competition, not semi-annual fam-fire discharging.

Good luck with the new gig.
View Quote

Hey WEG, can you send me some information on competitions in NOVA? I am looking to get started. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]
A friend invited me to a few IDPA shoots back in Fort Hood (through the Copperas Cove Pistol Club).  I had a ton of fun but that was right before I got out of the Army so I never bothered signing up.  I'd be interested in competitions too W_E_G

Ive got a lot of guns that I'd love to test on something more interesting than a silhouette or a dueling tree.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure others will chime in on this thought.  When I was a 25 year old vet working in the city (DC, McLean, Rockville, etc.) I lived in Leesburg and it was a good fit for me.  It was a better economic fit and honestly a better social fit.  Of course this was 25 years ago.  As time has passed there are many new and good commuting solutions from there also.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm the rifle and pistol committee chairman at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club (FRGC).

FRGC is NOT located in Fairfax.
We are located south(ish) of Manassas, alongside Bull Run.

I schedule 300+ rifle and pistol events each year for the club.
The vast majority of those events are open to the general public (i.e. you do not have to be a club member to compete)

See our calendar at http://fxrgc.org/calendar/maincal.cfm

We do have an IDPA program. That's the only thing that even remotely resembles "run-and-gun" - and is pretty much a NO RUNNING event.
Most everything else is traditional bullseye shooting or traditional steel-silhouette (rams, pigs, turkeys, chickens).
Occasionally a bowling-pin event.
I think the running-deer apparatus is kaput.
Lots of claybird stuff - but that's mostly a members-only thing. Although, if you can handle a shotgun, and can also get along with the members at the several open-to-the-public claybird shoots, its very likely a member will "adopt" you such that you'll be invited to shoot as a guest at the weekly/monthly "league matches."
I think we threw TWO MILLION claybirds last year.

My thing is highpower rifle - National Match course of fire.
That's pretty much the ONLY thing that has held my interest in the shooting games.
You should look me up personally if you like shooting at bullseye targets with a rifle that looks like this:

100 yards - iron sights - prone - sling supported only
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the great info WEG. I'm in for the next pistol shoot. It looks like maybe next year. Heck, I'm in for the high power but dont have a AR set up that way at this point.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I am more of an AK guy if I have to be totally honest, but I've got two ARs, a PWS MK220 (308) and MK114 upper (556) on a lower I put together.  Theyre both piston guns as I had a very low opinion of DI ARs from my time in the Army.  Since then Ive decided to give them another chance, but I didn't have the money to buy the DI rifle I wanted (Daniel Defense), so I just have lived without.  But after I get a few paychecks from my new job Id be willing to buy a rifle that complies with the rules if it means I can play with the big boys lol.  

Ill admit Im not a great shot, I just enjoy the company of most shooters and I like slowly getting better and more familiar with my guns.

You know what, I do have a question.  What do you guys think of the Metro?  I've been looking at some maps and saw there are two lines, one starting west of Vienna and another one just south of Springfield.  Im not even sure if either of those lines goes anywhere near my job, but putting that aside, I'd just like to hear your guy's thoughts on commuting on the metro.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am more of an AK guy if I have to be totally honest, but I've got two ARs, a PWS MK220 (308) and MK114 upper (556) on a lower I put together.  Theyre both piston guns as I had a very low opinion of DI ARs from my time in the Army.  Since then Ive decided to give them another chance, but I didn't have the money to buy the DI rifle I wanted (Daniel Defense), so I just have lived without.  But after I get a few paychecks from my new job Id be willing to buy a rifle that complies with the rules if it means I can play with the big boys lol.  

Ill admit Im not a great shot, I just enjoy the company of most shooters and I like slowly getting better and more familiar with my guns.

You know what, I do have a question.  What do you guys think of the Metro?  I've been looking at some maps and saw there are two lines, one starting west of Vienna and another one just south of Springfield.  Im not even sure if either of those lines goes anywhere near my job, but putting that aside, I'd just like to hear your guy's thoughts on commuting on the metro.
View Quote

In short. Commuting on he metro is the fucking WORST. Follow unsuck the DC Metro in Twitter for evidence.

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#48]
[b]

In short. Commuting on he metro is the fucking WORST. Follow unsuck the DC Metro in Twitter for evidence.

View Quote

LOL, what could possibly go wrong with a government-run union monopoly with a multi-jursidictional operating scheme where no single entity is responsible?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:35:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  FFX Cty is not as thoroughly blue as recent election results would lead you to believe, but we need reinforcement badly.

A change in Presidential administrations from D to R will shift the balance when all the D appointees and their hangers-on GTFO too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#50]
So the Metro sucks ass and a Trump Carson or Cruz victory will improve the quality of people in the area.  Interesting. So is driving still the best way to commute?  

Im a Cruz guy myself :)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top