Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2015 1:45:37 PM EDT
In need of the three toothed spanner wrench that works on the early Daniel Defense M4 Rail (the jam nut set-up that is similar to YHM rails).

Any chance someone out there has one I can borrow?  I'd also be more than willing to compensate you for shipping (to and from) and your time/effort.

ETA:  I did contact DD, and they were of zero help.  That really shocked me.  I've been using their barrels are speaking highly of their customer service for a long time.  I was told that they no longer provided those wrenches because the rail was discontinued.  I am very surprised by the lack of product support for the future.  The DD rep told me to just use a strap wrench.  That's all well and good, but the nut was secured with red loctite, and even after heating it up significantly the strap wrench did NOT work.  In fact, my strap wrench is now destroyed.

Thanks!
Chase
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Here are a few pics of what I need and do NOT need.  

This is the wrench I need:

NOT this one!

Thanks!  Please help out if you can....
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Might try a cheap screwdriver and a hammer.   That is my method when I can't find a spanner.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might try a cheap screwdriver and a hammer.   That is my method when I can't find a spanner.
View Quote

I really don't want to mar the nut.  It is aluminum and a punch or screwdriver would ding it up pretty bad.  I am rebarreling an upper, and that is the reason I need to remove the handguard.  I did not originally install this handguard, but whoever did used a liberal amount of red loctite on the threads.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is red you will need heat.   Got a heat gun?  Can you give me a measurement of the opening and I will look.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it is red you will need heat.   Got a heat gun?  Can you give me a measurement of the opening and I will look.
View Quote

Already been there.  I used a heat gun, and the loctite is now is white powder form.  I've even tapped the nut with a plastic mallet in hopes to dislodge the loctite even further.  The guy who put it together really used a ton of loctite, and a strap wrench just won't grab enough to turn it.  The loctite in white powder form is still very effective, haha.

The DD M4 rail lock nut is ~6" in diameter.  I would say the opening for the wrench should be about 1.5x that of the standard GI barrel nut wrench.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
How far are you from Lynchburg? I believe I have the right wrench and heat gun for ya.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
~2.5 hours, maybe a little less.  I'm a lot closer to Bristol.

I'd be willing to pay shipping both ways and throw in some extra for your trouble.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Already been there.  I used a heat gun, and the loctite is now is white powder form.  I've even tapped the nut with a plastic mallet in hopes to dislodge the loctite even further.  The guy who put it together really used a ton of loctite, and a strap wrench just won't grab enough to turn it.  The loctite in white powder form is still very effective, haha.

The DD M4 rail lock nut is ~6" in diameter.  I would say the opening for the wrench should be about 1.5x that of the standard GI barrel nut wrench.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.   Just checked and mine is the small one pictured from DD. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to pay shipping both ways and throw in some extra for your trouble.
View Quote

I just pulled mine out of the tool box. Mine has the right "nibs" but there is only one of them in the radius on the leading edge the way my wrench is designed. I suspect that won't be strong enough since yours is so tight. Have you tried a nylon punch and hammer? The nylon won't damage anything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just pulled mine out of the tool box. Mine has the right "nibs" but there is only one of them in the radius on the leading edge the way my wrench is designed. I suspect that won't be strong enough since yours is so tight. Have you tried a nylon punch and hammer? The nylon won't damage anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you and yes I have went at with a nylon punch.  The punch just keeps getting shaved off....

ETA:  There isn't enough area inside the divot to get a nylon punch in there without it weakening the "tip" enough to just break off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top