Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2015 10:23:55 AM EDT
Link

Bruce Redwine had seen enough. After years of watching a Fairfax County parking enforcement officer slap tickets on his customers’ cars for expired tags or inspection stickers, usually as the cars were awaiting state inspection or repair at his Chantilly shop, he snatched the latest ticket out of Officer Jacquelyn D. Hogue’s hand and added some profane commentary on top.

Hogue responded by having Redwine arrested for felony assault on a police officer, though she is not a police officer. And when the case first went to court, a Fairfax judge sentenced Redwine to four days in jail.

Redwine appealed, got a jury trial last month and was acquitted within minutes.

Redwine appealed to circuit court and had a jury trial on Sept. 9. Young said that Hogue did not testify that Redwine had grabbed or twisted her hand and that the photos from that day did not show any injury. The jury was out about 20 minutes before finding Redwine not guilty, court records show.
View Quote

Is this what FFPD has been reduced to, to drum up money for the county? Sounds like she lied on the report when she had him arrested if she refused to testify to what "occurred."

Shameful all around.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
So this was a meter maid?  

Ticketing cars for overdue inspections while waiting in-line at the inspection facility is a little like hunting over bait, no?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to drag every ticket into court and get them quashed.
The 'adjudicators' will get bored after the tenth or twentieth time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
my last ticket in FFX was thrown out... cop was none too pleased
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Redwine appealed, got a jury trial last month and was acquitted within minutes.
View Quote

This is why you ALWAYS appeal to Circuit Court. General District Court criminal/traffic dockets are factories.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's my policy. I don't get many tickets, maybe one every 3 years or so for minor speeding. I go to GDC on every one, no pre-payment. Anything other than dismissal, I appeal it and have a full-blown trial in Circuit. If there's a major issue (like a Dillon rule issue), I'll appeal it to the COA.

If you're going to go out of your way to fine me for some ticky-tacky bullshit, I'm going to get my money's worth out of you, Commonwealth of Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hogue was advised to see a magistrate and obtain a misdemeanor charge. Four days later, she did. But the magistrate, Fred Bubenhofer, issued a felony warrant for assault on a police officer.
View Quote

Hogue should be charged with perjury (for lying under oath to the magistrate) and sued into oblivion for malicious prosecution and abuse of process.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hogue should be charged with perjury (for lying under oath to the magistrate) and sued into oblivion for malicious prosecution and abuse of process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hogue was advised to see a magistrate and obtain a misdemeanor charge. Four days later, she did. But the magistrate, Fred Bubenhofer, issued a felony warrant for assault on a police officer.

She apparently has an ego to match her butt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I see possibly an obstruction, but not an assault. And that depends on the lower question regarding where the cars were parked.

Either way, it's absolute bullshit that they're issuing parking tickets for no inspection, at an inspection station.

Are these cars parked on the street, or in the guy's lot? If in the lot, I can't see how they'd survive any kind of 4th Amendment challenge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can we through a filing a false report in with that since she called it in and had the officers come on scene?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Same dept a few years ago went into restaurant bars and arrested people inside the establishment for public intoxication even if they weren't driving home.  No calls or complaints about patron behavior, just some proactive policing.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Bruce is the man.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people don't have the time for that though, thats the game that the gov plays.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I see possibly an obstruction, but not an assault. And that depends on the lower question regarding where the cars were parked.

Either way, it's absolute bullshit that they're issuing parking tickets for no inspection, at an inspection station.

Are these cars parked on the street, or in the guy's lot? If in the lot, I can't see how they'd survive any kind of 4th Amendment challenge.
View Quote

According to the article in the Post, the repair shop rents space in an industrial park, and the cars are parked on property owned by the industrial park. The park has sent a letter to FCPD authorizing them to enforce motor vehicle laws on their private property. That letter is what gives FCPD the authority to write those tickets.
Of course, the ticket writers get graded on how many tickets they write, and this particular ticket writer has found a "sweet spot", and gets to fill her quota without any strenuous effort. That's why she heads to the industrial park first thing every morning.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Fairfax and Loudoun cops = armed tax collectors, nothing more nothing less. Call a cop when someone breaks into your car, they don't fingerprint anymore last time I called they wanted to "take a report over the phone".  At least pretend your here to "protect and SERVE".
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I was a target of credit card fraud. It was determined that Fairfax County had jurisdiction. I submitted an online report that included all the pertinent facts and included THE NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE M.E. IMMIGRANT WHO STOLE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION as confirmed by the vendor who sold him the ill-gotten goods. After six months, I ignored the statement not to bother them by calling and finally got a hold of somebody who just told me that there was "not much they could do".

I said well, "not much" would still be better than doing nothing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

According to the article, the garage space is leased and the property owner has given a blanket release to the PD to enter upon and police the property.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most people don't have the time for that though, thats the game that the gov plays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to open a "legal aid" clinic that does nothing but litigate stupid shit like this to the limit. Full trial in both levels of trial courts, and appeals. I'll even hire more lawyers if needed.

Government will either learn to confine itself to things that aren't chickenshit, or will implode trying.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was a target of credit card fraud. It was determined that Fairfax County had jurisdiction. I submitted an online report that included all the pertinent facts and included THE NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE M.E. IMMIGRANT WHO STOLE MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION as confirmed by the vendor who sold him the ill-gotten goods. After six months, I ignored the statement not to bother them by calling and finally got a hold of somebody who just told me that there was "not much they could do".

View Quote

If you have all of that information, don't even bother going to the police. Waste of time. Go to the magistrate yourself and swear out the warrant, just like the metermaid in this story did. Well, except yours sounds legitimate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you have all of that information, don't even bother going to the police. Waste of time. Go to the magistrate yourself and swear out the warrant, just like the metermaid in this story did. Well, except yours sounds legitimate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This sounds interesting. The CC company relieved me of responsibility for the charge but I would still like to see this clown prosecuted.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where are the pitch forks and torches?
View Quote

I was hoping you guys would be running a Black Friday deal on them?

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This sounds interesting. The CC company relieved me of responsibility for the charge but I would still like to see this clown prosecuted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been out of LE for about 7 years now but, if memory serves me right you can file the paperwork up to 1 year after the offense has taken place. If I am wrong, one of our resident LEO's should be by shortly to correct me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have been out of LE for about 7 years now but, if memory serves me right you can file the paperwork up to 1 year after the offense has taken place. If I am wrong, one of our resident LEO's should be by shortly to correct me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the crime. 1 year for most misdemeanors, 5 years or "no limit at all" for more serious crimes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Depends on the crime. 1 year for most misdemeanors, 5 years or "no limit at all" for more serious crimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the catch, my memory is not what it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
This article certainly highlights the empowerment of the meter maid, needless harassment of too much gov,  and further decline of " Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Things like this just might affect how I view the "Public Safety" bond referendum coming up.

Naw, I'll vote"no" as usual, and as usual it will pass and the jackhole Supervisors will incur even more debt in my name.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, the magistrate isn't under any obligation to issue the warrant. If you wait, many will want to know why. If there's no good answer, they simply will refuse to issue it.

Whether this is lawful or not, I have no idea. But I've seen it happen a lot.

However, "it took me time to investigate the matter on my own because the police refused to help" would sound like a pretty damn good reason.

Also, if the magistrate DOES refuse, magistrate shop. Wait for another on duty. If that doesn't work, go see the Commonwealth's Attorney. They can direct an officer to take out a warrant, or speak to the magistrate and tell them that their office is willing to prosecute it.

Before you do all that, have you tried speaking to a police supervisor or a detective?

I'll admit, those cases are almost impossible to prosecute, especially if the person isn't local.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]
This all happened in April 2015. The guy is local (Fairfax County) and living in subsidized housing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This all happened in April 2015. The guy is local (Fairfax County) and living in subsidized housing.
View Quote

That is irrelevant, but thank you for contributing nothing of value.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow Thank you. I finally get to use that "Ignore" button I paid for.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who, the mechanic?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#35]
This ought to be an interesting rental renewal - landlord isn't helping with granting access.  If I were the business owner, FCDP/inspection officers also cannot lift car covers to check for sticker.  I would also give my customers a heads up, don't wait for the last day before inspection is due, mid-month gives everyone time to fix problems, especially emissions, so plates aren't dead.  State inspection stickers, you have two weeks to fix problems with pink stickers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#36]
If they're on private property (the parking lot of the business doing the inspection/repairs) how does the police department have authority to come onto the property, examine the cars and issue tickets?

Maybe VA is different but I used to live in WV and I remember one of the stores in town telling the town cops to stay off their property unless they were there to purchase items from the store.  The cops were parking on the parking lot and writing tickets for various offenses.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If they're on private property (the parking lot of the business doing the inspection/repairs) how does the police department have authority to come onto the property, examine the cars and issue tickets?

Maybe VA is different but I used to live in WV and I remember one of the stores in town telling the town cops to stay off their property unless they were there to purchase items from the store.  The cops were parking on the parking lot and writing tickets for various offenses.
View Quote

Owners of private lots can grant the police access.
It is usually done when there are parking problems.
Commuters filling business lots type things.

The owner probbaly was getting complaints from other tenants about excessive cars at the garages.
The police used it as an opening to ticket for any reason.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The owner probbaly was getting complaints from other tenants about excessive cars at the garages.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to separate metermaids and police officers.  The former does nothing to protect and serve, and yet her bad ethics was not only protected, but escalated to epic derp.  In the city I work, private property may have it's own private lot management and tow companies.   Doesn't sound like this was ever a matter for police.....and since she isn't even a cop, this is an obvious abuse of power( she never had).
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have hit a nerve
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Who, the mechanic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who, the mechanic?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top