Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 9:30:27 AM EDT
Link rtd story

...The governor pointed specifically to universal background checks, saying some gun-show merchants hang signs advertising they don't perform checks "Why would you need a sign like that?" McAuliffe said...        
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah all the beanie baby, jerky, and knock off red dot vendors don't need to do background checks

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
No shock hetre that we would tell such a blatant lie to further the agenda.

I wish some media in the state has the balls to call him on this shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like something for politifact and the vcdl.  Can't say as I have ever seen signs of that sort at the dozens of Va gunshows I have been to in the last 25 years, not to mention that they are always LEOs everywhere at fun shows.  Hopefully this is a reference to a beanie jerky cutler, but I suspect it is nothing more than a lie intended to scare soccer moms who haven't ever been to a gun show.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, yeah.  The guys selling their personal collections don't need to perform background checks.  I've seen a few small signs (8x10) but no banners.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna bet the carpetbagger has never been to a gun show, either, unless it was just for a soundbite in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Words can't articulate just how much I hate that bastard.  I wish him nothing but sadness and misery.  Can not wait for him to be gone.  Then again, I wonder who will replace him?  Could be worse.

Everyone remember to vote in November.  All GA seats are up for election.  While the House is not in danger the Senate will be.  Could go either way and with that asshat Northam casting a tiebreaker a 20-20 split is in essence a Dem controlled chamber.  Ideally we'll be able to retain the Senate to prevent any of McAwful's policies from even getting traction there.

Anyway, everyone remember to go and vote.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't lie, I have seen ONE (1) guy that was selling accessories with a sign that said "NO BACKGROUND CHECKS" because he was selling his personal handgun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won't lie, I have seen ONE (1) guy that was selling accessories with a sign that said "NO BACKGROUND CHECKS" because he was selling his personal handgun.
View Quote

That's sketchy as hell.  Sounds to me like a UC sting to catch felons buying guns.

I sure as hell wouldn't buy a gun from that guy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's sketchy as hell.  Sounds to me like a UC sting to catch felons buying guns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, some people don't want to be "on a list" when they buy a gun.  The ATF does keep a list of background checks, no?

Plus, it's a lot easier to buy when you don't need to fill out the paperwork and wait around for a thumbs up.  I have NEVER had a background check take less than 20 minutes after the paperwork was filled out and the call was made.  Don't know what the issue is for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Meh, some people don't want to be "on a list" when they buy a gun.  The ATF does keep a list of background checks, no?

Plus, it's a lot easier to buy when you don't need to fill out the paperwork and wait around for a thumbs up.  I have NEVER had a background check take less than 20 minutes after the paperwork was filled out and the call was made.  Don't know what the issue is for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does BATFE have to do with background checks?
That is done under FBI auspices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't a clue.

One news report did say that "the ATF confirmed to ABC that Flanagan did pass a background check".

That's why I said the ATF.  I don't know the ins and outs of the gun business.  

But it's still a valid point that some people want to avoid being on "a list", no?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Are you a felon? I can't even begin to understand what you are afraid of. Some great deals out there from guys selling their collection, they need cash fast. I picked up a pre-ban Colt R6600 during the ban from one, he needed $650 to pay the loan on his truck by next day, I gave him $650, no haggling
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen the personal collections with signs like that.  But I also have seen that sign on tables that sold stun guns, knives, airsoft guns, paintball, and black powder guns.  You just know that they are blowing it out of proportion.  1-2 tables out of 50.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I haven't a clue.

One news report did say that "the ATF confirmed to ABC that Flanagan did pass a background check".

But it's still a valid point that some people want to avoid being on "a list", no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't a clue.

The BATFE are the ones called to follow the ownership of any firearm used in a crime. They will take the gun's SN & go from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the FFL dealer, to the original owner, and to the next owner if there is a trail to follow.

So the BATFE would be the ones to confirm that the dealer did comply with the laws on gun sales. This is why I keep records of the guns I sell to individuals - I would rather the BATFE didn't stop the trail at my door.

Happy Monday to all,
Bob S.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been to at least one show where I did see one table with a small sign advertising no back ground checks. It was a private seller with a table with very few guns. I did not even stop to look. I am sure we all have seen shady people at shows trying to buy stuff. I have seen more than one straw purchase being attempted.  I do not blame the shows, I blame the people trying to break the laws.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The BATFE are the ones called to follow the ownership of any firearm used in a crime. They will take the gun's SN & go from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the FFL dealer, to the original owner, and to the next owner if there is a trail to follow.

So the BATFE would be the ones to confirm that the dealer did comply with the laws on gun sales. This is why I keep records of the guns I sell to individuals - I would rather the BATFE didn't stop the trail at my door.

Happy Monday to all,
Bob S.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't a clue.

Happy Monday to all,
Bob S.

Who cares.
BATFE is completely after the fact.

The press is so stupid they do not have the slightest idea who does what.
In Virginia the call is to the State Police.
THEY  then perform the actual check of records.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's the ATF. Because the FFL holder has to keep the 4473 for 20 years, and if they close during that time, they have to forward the 4473 (paper or electronic) to the ATF.

So with regard to the ATF keeping a 'list of background checks', it's a fair and valid point to suggest that the ATF is involved.

I also should point out that compiling a database of firearms transactions is specifically forbidden under federal law. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the ATF does with those records. I've got my own personal suspicions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I can understand not wanting to be on a "list" or in a database or something, I guess.  However, I have a CHP so "they" already know I own guns.  As for ATF, while they are prohibited from maintaing an official database I am certain there is a warehouse somewhere with sorted 4473s that could be searched if they wanted to.  Probably digitized.

It's just super sketchy to me that someone would have a sign saying "No background check guns!" at a gun show.  That screams either hot guns or law enforcement sting.  I have no interest in buying a stolen firearm.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember complaining here about a guy at Nations with no background check on the signs behind him.  Hardly a banner and about the same size as the prices.  It happened one time, years ago.  Never seen anything like that since.  Frankly any one hoping to find a gun without a background check might be asking around for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Found my post, from October 2009.

archived thread

Signs said "private sell"

So I saw something that kinda pisses me off the more I think about it. Roughly a row to the left of Joe Elarde was a guy selling Yugo AKs for $1000+ with "private sell" clearly marked on the price tags. Now I'm no AK expert, but these things appeared to me to be double the going rate. That is unless you are trafficking arms for gang bangers. Then they probably were priced right. I mean WTF, having a table full of modern firearms, ultra high prices, and private sell marked everywhere is ultimately going to get all of us screwed.

I can't recall seeing private sell signs before, but this was not the only guy.  
View Quote

I have never seen anything like that since.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#21]
and yet all those millions of "background checks" didn't stop douchebags like Vester or Cho from becoming murderers.

Liberal-Progressive thought pattern: gun control failed therefore, we need more gun control. Fucking brilliant!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it's the ATF. Because the FFL holder has to keep the 4473 for 20 years, and if they close during that time, they have to forward the 4473 (paper or electronic) to the ATF.

So with regard to the ATF keeping a 'list of background checks', it's a fair and valid point to suggest that the ATF is involved.

I also should point out that compiling a database of firearms transactions is specifically forbidden under federal law. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the ATF does with those records. I've got my own personal suspicions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the 4473s sit at he FFL moldering in a file, then go to BATFE storage in WV and molder some more if they are less than 20 years old.
BATFE's appropriation prevents them from using any money to computerize the records.
Just a huge warehouse of filing cabinets.
And you forgot about the 'bound book' that also has all the transactions.
Those stay around forever.

And BATFE forms have nothing to do with the actual background check.
The often just have the authorization number written on the margin for the dealer to have a record.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Found my post, from October 2009.

archived thread

Signs said "private sell"

So I saw something that kinda pisses me off the more I think about it. Roughly a row to the left of Joe Elarde was a guy selling Yugo AKs for $1000+ with "private sell" clearly marked on the price tags. Now I'm no AK expert, but these things appeared to me to be double the going rate. That is unless you are trafficking arms for gang bangers. Then they probably were priced right. I mean WTF, having a table full of modern firearms, ultra high prices, and private sell marked everywhere is ultimately going to get all of us screwed.

I can't recall seeing private sell signs before, but this was not the only guy.  

I have never seen anything like that since.

thanks for the info, I haven't seen anything of that sort at any of the shows I have attended.  Sounds like folks who run fun shows need to police that crap off premises (eta not legit/legal private sales, but signs that advertise "no background checks").  That isn't doing us any favors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And the 4473s sit at he FFL moldering in a file, then go to BATFE storage in WV and molder some more if they are less than 20 years old.
BATFE's appropriation prevents them from using any money to computerize the records.
Just a huge warehouse of filing cabinets.
And you forgot about the 'bound book' that also has all the transactions.
Those stay around forever.

And BATFE forms have nothing to do with the actual background check.
The often just have the authorization number written on the margin for the dealer to have a record.
View Quote

My main point is that some people don't want to be on "a list".  They don't care which alphabet agency holds the list, they just don't want to be on it.

I only mentioned it because it was said that people who want to skip a background check must have bad intentions, but I think the above shows that's not always the case, as I find it perfectly reasonable to want to avoid being on some list.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn, you would think that some here had never heard of a FTF transaction. If the "venue" is a parking lot at a police station or some such or at a show I don't really see the difference.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, you would think that some here had never heard of a FTF transaction. If the "venue" is a parking lot at a police station or some such or at a show I don't really see the difference.  

View Quote

A sign in a gun show saying "no background checks here" is just plain bad PR and will be used against us - not to mention swaying fence sitters and voters who are ignorant of the legality of legit ftf transactions.  I have no problem with ftf transactions between non prohibited persons and can understand why some non prohibited persons would prefer them, but why give the enemy ammunition to use against us?  Wouldn't it be just as effective to put a sign saying non ffl holder or private seller?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#27]
"private seller" makes sense.
I know that VAguntrader.com often has a table at shows where folks can sell their personal firearms... don't remember how they handle it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A sign in a gun show saying "no background checks here" is just plain bad PR and will be used against us - not to mention swaying fence sitters and voters who are ignorant of the legality of legit ftf transactions.  I have no problem with ftf transactions between non prohibited persons and can understand why some non prohibited persons would prefer them, but why give the enemy ammunition to use against us?  Wouldn't it be just as effective to put a sign saying non ffl holder or private seller?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just where have you ever seen such a sign? I must have missed it.

A very small Private Seller sign is the only ones I've ever seen and darn few of those.

Don't give-in to McAwful's hyperbole. It's BS.

IMHO for non-prohibited gun owners to be able to freely trade guns among ourselves without the state's OK is one of the basic freedoms we enjoy here in Virginia.

Hell if anything I figure we will lose FTF (starting at gun shows) at the hands of gun-owners themselves because they who don't know how things work and it's a easy "give-away" to the antis to someone that buys a gun once in a blue moon from a dealer.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And just where have you ever seen such a sign? I must have missed it. snip

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just where have you ever seen such a sign? I must have missed it. snip

Quoted:
snip... Can't say as I have ever seen signs of that sort at the dozens of Va gunshows I have been to in the last 25 years....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[

IMHO for non-prohibited gun owners to be able to freely trade guns among ourselves without the state's OK is one of the basic freedoms we enjoy here in Virginia.

Hell if anything I figure we will lose FTF (starting at gun shows) at the hands of gun-owners themselves because they who don't know how things work and it's a easy "give-away" to the antis to someone that buys a gun once in a blue moon from a dealer.

View Quote

Agreed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top