Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2015 12:29:50 PM EDT
So where is your favorite ride in NOVA?

I'm partial to the Snickersville Turnpike.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of great places to ride in the Valley.  It is less than an hour from NOVA.  Give a PM and I'll ride with you.

Try this route:

66 West to Markham - take Leeds Manor Road North to Rt. 17 North, West on Rt. 50 then about 2 miles take Rt. 601 North, pass Mt. Weather, stop at Bears Den and continue to Rt. 7.  Take Rt. 7 West to the bottom of the mountain, then go south on Rt. 606 River Road following the Shenandoah, take Rt. 649 at the Y (about 6 miles) and go until you hit Rt. 50 again.  Take 50 West a mile or two and turn left on Rt. 638 (Howellsville Road).  Go 6-7 miles until you hit the Y at the store and bear right continuing on Howellsville until you hit the T at Morgan's Ford Road.  Take a right and cross the Shenandoah over the single lane low water bridge.  Morgan's Ford wll turn right and turn into Milldale Road, which will turn into Red Gate Road.  Continue on Red Gate (it takes a sharp right) and hit Route 50.  Take 50 West, to Rt. 17 South and back to 66.

This should keep you busy for a few hours and is a nice way to spend an afternoon.  I have done it 100 times.

You will pass the secret Mt. Weather facility, the TWA 514 crash site, bears den, treasure island (great rope swing into the river), you are close to Dinosaur Land, and White Post that was surveyed by George Washington as a teenager.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Snickersville.  (i live on that road).  I still enjoy it every time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are out on snickersville go to 601 between rt 7 and 50 in paris.  Beautiful mtn road, w/ fema camp and flight 514 "memorial".  I used to live there and it was always full of bikers on the clear weekends.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of great places to ride in the Valley.  It is less than an hour from NOVA.  Give a PM and I'll ride with you.

Try this route:

66 West to Markham - take Leeds Manor Road North to Rt. 17 North, West on Rt. 50 then about 2 miles take Rt. 601 North, pass Mt. Weather, stop at Bears Den and continue to Rt. 7.  Take Rt. 7 West to the bottom of the mountain, then go south on Rt. 606 River Road following the Shenandoah, take Rt. 649 at the Y (about 6 miles) and go until you hit Rt. 50 again.  Take 50 West a mile or two and turn left on Rt. 638 (Howellsville Road).  Go 6-7 miles until you hit the Y at the store and bear right continuing on Howellsville until you hit the T at Morgan's Ford Road.  Take a right and cross the Shenandoah over the single lane low water bridge.  Morgan's Ford wll turn right and turn into Milldale Road, which will turn into Red Gate Road.  Continue on Red Gate (it takes a sharp right) and hit Route 50.  Take 50 West, to Rt. 17 South and back to 66.

This should keep you busy for a few hours and is a nice way to spend an afternoon.  I have done it 100 times.

You will pass the secret Mt. Weather facility, the TWA 514 crash site, bears den, treasure island (great rope swing into the river), you are close to Dinosaur Land, and White Post that was surveyed by George Washington as a teenager.
View Quote

Ditch morgans ford at dismal hollow and take that to 55 and hit 66 back up somewhere along the line would be my change to that.

Also, 211 over the mountain is a fun ride during the week, too many cops and idiots on a weekend.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are out on snickersville go to 601 between rt 7 and 50 in paris.  Beautiful mtn road, w/ fema camp and flight 514 "memorial".  I used to live there and it was always full of bikers on the clear weekends.
View Quote

Tried to do 601 back the last time I road snickersville t p  about a month ago, got a little past FEMA and they had the road closed due to an accident.

While I'm not opposed to riding out to the valley, and I do want to ride 39 and 250(or is it 220)

I was looking for some closer in rides.  My 16 year old daughter just got her bike learners permit and we just got 2 Ninja 250's off Craig's List and got them up and running.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
How about staying in NOVA? I'm sick of the NOVA "Biker Bobs" in my AO. All weekend, never ends. I look forward to cold weather.

Sigh, oh well, better than NOVA bicyclists I guess.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Ride the roads around Clifton (southern fairfax county).  It isn't fast but it does twist around pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me echo the Clifton suggestions, Popes Head Rd. in particular. Lots of nice curves that need to be straightened out. Also Bull Run Post Office Rd./Compton Rd. is nice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let me echo the Clifton suggestions, Popes Head Rd. in particular. Lots of nice curves that need to be straightened out. Also Bull Run Post Office Rd./Compton Rd. is nice.
View Quote

That's my back yard.  We just rode Bull Run Post Office/Compton on Thursday afternoon going to her eye Dr. appointment.

Today we rode Evergreen Mills Rd. to Leesburg and back.

We'll get up early tomorrow morning, probably run through Clifton.  I've gone past Popes Head a few times but I don't think I've ever ridden down it.  Just looking on the map it looks like the area around Clifton, Popes Head, Henderson, Clifton, Compton, Chapel, Hampton roads and criss cross back and forth around them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Spent almost 2 hrs riding around the above mentioned roads on Sunday afternoon.  Daughter had a good time.  Put almost 50 miles in the bikes, all on 2 lane roads.

Daughter and I were on Ninja 250's, buddy was in a Vulcan 900.  He was quite a bit slower in the corners but could catch up on the straights.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you had a good time!

Quoted:
Spent almost 2 hrs riding around the above mentioned roads on Sunday afternoon.  Daughter had a good time.  Put almost 50 miles in the bikes, all on 2 lane roads.

Daughter and I were on Ninja 250's, buddy was in a Vulcan 900.  He was quite a bit slower in the corners but could catch up on the straights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's my back yard.  We just rode Bull Run Post Office/Compton on Thursday afternoon going to her eye Dr. appointment.

We'll get up early tomorrow morning, probably run through Clifton.  I've gone past Popes Head a few times but I don't think I've ever ridden down it.  Just looking on the map it looks like the area around Clifton, Popes Head, Henderson, Clifton, Compton, Chapel, Hampton roads and criss cross back and forth around them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet. Try taking Bull Run Post Office north across 29. Some nice hairpins there. While up that way chart a course over to Rte. 15 and find Waterfall rd (601) west into the Plains. Lotta side roads along the way and it's a beautiful ride. Check out some of the amazing rock fences along the way. I keep meaning to check out Bust Head rd, just to say I was on it if nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, any interest in a ARFCOM fall valley ride?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a good ride this afternoon.

Rode South on 29 through the battle field, then turned north/west on 234 (right turn at the Old Stone House) and followed it until it crosses Rt 15 and becomes Rt 601 Waterfall Rd.  We rode along Waterfall Rd, it changes to Hopewell Rd and ends in The Plains.  Made a right on 626 Halfway Rd. which turns into The Plains Rd, and followed it all the way to Middleburg.  Stopped in Middleburg for an ice cream, then took Rt. 50 back towards Chantilly.  Stopped at the Aldie Mill historic park.  It was closed but we walked around the mill. Then we headed home to Centreville.  Put 52 miles on the bikes with very little traffic going our way on a Friday afternoon. Really a gorgeous ride.  The stone walls were amazing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be up for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Up for a ride, a bike night, anything that entails riding. BTW what do you all ride? Sport bike, cruiser, lay-z-boy on wheels, hypermotard???
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Up for a ride, a bike night, anything that entails riding. BTW what do you all ride? Sport bike, cruiser, lay-z-boy on wheels, hypermotard???
View Quote

My first ride at the young age of 57.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Kawi 1600 Classic (cruiser) and a DR650; passively looking for a mile eater this fall (FJR, ST, Concourse, etc.).
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I know it is awfully short notice, but I'm off Monday and headed somewhere.  Either down the valley, or a around Clarke / Warren / Jefferson.  

Quoted:

I'd be up for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be up for it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Buell XB12X Ulysses in NOVA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Want to ride in Rattle the Runway on Sunday?

I'm meeting a couple retired guys from work  at Jireh Cafe in Centreville at 0730.

Also most Sunday mornings we ride to Camerons Coffee and Chocolate in Fairfax for breakfast and the car club meet up.  The. Go for a little ride afterwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top