Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 9:34:48 AM EDT
manassas is getting a little rough and with my son being about a month old I'd like to get situated in a good place to raise him. I've lived in manassas/Gainesville my whole life
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems nice to me. My advice, stay to the west of route 1.

ETA: In northern Stafford.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Lived in Stafford since 91 and have seen a lot of change over the years like everyone around here. My kids are 8 and 12 and the school system is top notch. We live in the western part of the county with some land and can shoot on it without issue. I wanted to raise my kids up with the things I got to do growing up and so far am very happy with where we live. Want to fish there's Curtis Lake just a few miles away, nothing to right home about but kids don't care. Curtis Park also has a nice pool. Want to do some hunting? Just up the road a few miles is Phelps Wildlife management area where you can do that without joining a club. The bad like everywhere else is traffic going north.

Any other specifics pm me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up not far from that area and moved over 10years ago. King George and S.Stafford aren't bad choices. You can still find places in KG with enough land to shoot on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I still own a house in the City of Manassas.  Grew up between there and western Fauquier.

We moved to the Chancellor area of Spotsylvania in 2007 and love it.  Schools in this end of the county are great.  Rte 3 traffic ca be bad, but not NOVA bad.  A lot depends on what you want and how far you're willing to commute.

FWIW, we bought a 1900 sq ft house on 5 wooded acres with a 2 car garage for the price of a townhouse in Georgetown South.  If you have any specific questions about out here feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the noise from quantico bad?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
In Spotsylvania?  No.  In Stafford?  It all depends on where you are.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the noise from quantico bad?
View Quote

Noise??? That's not noise, that's the sound of freedom!

I've lived just off of Rte 610 in the Garrisonville area since late '93, the sounds of freedom aren't that bad. YMMV depending on how far west on 610 you live and your proximity to the ranges.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have lived in SE Stafford most of my life. The change since the late 80's has been rediculous. The schools are still good.

The influx of northernor's has slowed.

Just an FYI, a good chunk of South Stafford is a no shooting zone.

It has been years since I have heard anything from Quantico. You will hear it on the north end.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
. The change since the late 80's has been rediculous. The schools are still good.

The influx of northernor's has slowed..
View Quote

Are you sure about the schools..?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I live in south stafford across from Fredericksburg and really like it.

No kids yet, so can't say much about the schools personally. Some of my friends are Stafford teachers and are pretty "meh" about the district.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been in north Stafford since '87...
moved out of the harbor in '97, to a house about a block off 610.
as previously stated, I have seen a lot of change.... Some good, some bad...but overall it ain't a bad place to be.
I'm right near the Vulcan rock quarry, so the ranges are close and can get a bit annoying working nights. Back in the day they used to pop illumination rounds for the nighttime infiltration course, but haven't seen that in years. It was kinda cool as it would light up the entire neighborhood...lol

traffic is starting to get pretty ugly unless you know the back roads...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I grew up not far from that area and moved over 10years ago. King George and S.Stafford aren't bad choices. You can still find places in KG with enough land to shoot on.
View Quote

Another vote for KG from a KG "come here".

Stafford is OK, too, but more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I grew up/lived in Fredericksburg from ages 9-24. South Stafford or Spotsylvania, IMHO, are where you'd want to be. KG is a wasteland of rednecks and junkyards. Sorry KG guys... If you want rural, look at Caroline County just outside of Fredericksburg on 17. Super rural with quick access to town. Fredericksburg has outgrown itself and traffic is an absolute nightmare even if you know the back roads. Thank God I'm in the mountains now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a superfan of King George county, but it's not a 'wasteland of rednecks and junkyards'... wtf?

The development I just moved out of (don't get me started) had FIOS at 150/150 which tested out at 148/145 over and over.

We'uns even gots indoor plumbin now!  

/edit Caroline county is fine if you don't have kids, their schools leave a lot to be desired, though.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Lived in Stafford until I went to college. Lived in Aqui Harbour for most of my time there. Heard Quantico once in a very blue moon. Nice place. Glad I grew up there. Moved to VCU and have lived down here ever since. The traffic there has gotten bad, but the schools are still good. I would move there given your situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top