Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 11:33:48 PM EDT
I would like to do a small amount of hiking on 2 or 3 days of the vacation. The plan is to hit some trail heads and hike 1-2 hours out/have lunch and hike back to the car. I mentioned this to some of the family (about 50 attending) and it seems I'll have 4 or 5 mid 20's folks tagging along with my antique body.....

No serious or heavy duty hiking required - but hitting a bit of the AT would be great. I promise to take some pics........I generally walk 8-10 miles on a daily basis here in the mountains of Florida - elevation is approximately 4' above sea level.

Any suggestions regarding trail heads?

Thanks a bunch - last time I stayed in VA - I was about 14 and we stayed in the old pop-up camper and hiked all over the place as it took like 25 mins to get our daily limit of trout......had a great time, but I was in a bit better shape....HaHa
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch out for ol' Jake No Shoulders...he's out ta getcha!

Enjoy the fresh air my friend, and welcome to God's country!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Take Rt.33 east, and you'll soon be climbing over the Blue Ridge Mountains. At the top is the entrance to the Skyline Drive - pay your entrance fee, and drive in either direction to find good trails.

Look here for maps... Hiking trails of the Skyline Drive

Have fun,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Hiking Upward

The link above has a few trails around that area.  (click the map on the upper left of the homepage)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some reading to do - Thanks VA guys. I think I have the info I need!

Great stuff!!!

Also - I'll be packing some type of lead dispensing contraption as well. I have a CWP and am retired LEO. Maybe a knife or 3 too. All good around town and the parks? My reading says yes - but then again, the 5th grade was the longest 3 years of my life!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Last warning - I'm headed your way after work tomorrow....anybody need anything from Florida?  lol  I could bring some humidity, if you are short this year......
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Shouldn't have a problem with carrying as long as you have your permit or we can open carry. In the George Washington natl forest I believe it's ccw only. As for the towns it's whichever. You can carry in bar/restaurant but if ccw you can't drink. As for the humidity, we have enough. As for the boiled peanuts, unfortunately we have none.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shouldn't have a problem with carrying as long as you have your permit or we can open carry. In the George Washington natl forest I believe it's ccw only. As for the towns it's whichever. You can carry in bar/restaurant but if ccw you can't drink. As for the humidity, we have enough. As for the boiled peanuts, unfortunately we have none.
View Quote

Thanks - looks like I will be wondering around the Shenandoah National Park......
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
So, made it home safe and sound, carried the G21 with 2-13 round magazines filled with HST's. Uneventful trip as far as firearms go - had a great time in your state!

Did some of this,

Took a break for some of this,

Even got treated to some home made Peach, Apple and Cherry pie - the home canned pickles were tasty as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, made it home safe and sound, carried the G21 with 2-13 round magazines filled with HST's. Uneventful trip as far as firearms go - had a great time in your state!

Even got treated to some home made Peach, Apple and Cherry pie - the home canned pickles were tasty as well.
View Quote

Glad you had a good visit!

The Blue Ridge Mountains were just one of the many things that brought me to Virginia.

Take care,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did some of this,
http://i57.tinypic.com/4tmxlk.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/20ti0si.jpg

Took a break for some of this,
http://i62.tinypic.com/14wu5nr.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/9ks23b.jpg
View Quote

That cherry pie looks divine
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
It was. She asked if I wanted the Cherry, Apple or the Peach - I just said - YES. They were all great, as was the bread you see in the pan off to the right.....all home made before my eyes. - crust to slicing the fruit.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top