Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2015 12:18:29 AM EDT
Today a young man contacted me regarding purchasing an AR15 I have for sale on our state gun classifieds. He mentioned he is 19years old and asked if that is a problem.
Do state and federal laws allow this young man to purchase this type of rifle (assault rifle) from a private individual? If so, what forms of ID do I need to ask for? I typically ask for a drivers license and a concealed carry permit, however he isn't old enough to have one. I know when purchasing from a dealer they ask for three forms of ID, is this still a requirement for private sales.
I would greatly appreciate any input as I would hate to penalize him by declining to sell to him just because of his young age.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Just wondering...what is so special about your AR that a 19 year old would want to buy it? Not really looking for an answer but this would be what I would be asking my self if I was in your place.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say the price.
Complete factory BCM EAG with Aimpoint PRO at a very tasty price.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The law regarding "assault weapons" and proof of citizenship/LPR applies only to dealers.

If he satisfies you that he's at least 18 and a Virginia resident, and you have no indication that he's a prohibited person, then you may legally sell him the rifle. Same for handguns.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wondering...what is so special about your AR that a 19 year old would want to buy it? Not really looking for an answer but this would be what I would be asking my self if I was in your place.
View Quote

Why wouldn't a 19 year old want to buy an AR15?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know right. I would have bought one in high school if I had the dough.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
i would make him come up with 2 forms of ID and fill out a bill of sale and be on my merry way, i really don't see an issue with this
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!
I emailed and told him I would proceed if he could show two forms of ID and sign a bill of sale.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was 19 I was more worried about paying my bills for school and chasing girls. And not always in that order. While I liked guns then, I was not spending that much money on them. I guess it all depends on how much money you have and what your priorities are. Then take into account the low prices on basic ARs currently at gun shows. Some of the lowest prices I remember seeing in a long time.

So without knowing what the OP is selling I think my question was fair. I am not a trusting person by nature so if I was the one selling an AR or any gun and the only person wanting to buy it is a random 19 year old I know nothing about on the internet, I think I would have to pause and wonder why.

I am not saying the OP shouldn't sell it to the kid, I am just saying if it was me, I would be hesitant to do it without knowing more about the buyer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm confused.  At 19 you can buy a rifle in VA, correct?  He could walk right in and buy one, with a background check of course.  But you're worried he's buying private to avoid that?  If that's your worry, absolutely don't sell it to him.  If that's not a worry, I'm not seeing the issue here.  I thought 19 was GTG in VA.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#10]

I had been told that because it is considered an "assault rifle" then different rules applied. In particular, I was told by one dealer that 21 was the minimum age so I just wanted to make sure that nothing was overlooked before I made the sale.
I don't have any concerns thus far about the young man. We have yet to meet for the transaction, however he is polite, courteous, well spoken, has all the needed documentation, and has agreed to sign a bill of sale.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
At 19 i bought a Bushmaster CAR-15 from a dealer  - because I had a job and worked a ton of overtime to get the coin for it (that was right before the 94 ban went into effect).

Not sure I understand what is anomalous about this situation at all...

-shooter
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
For completely selfish reasons I do not think you should sell it to him...

In all seriousness, you are fine to sell to a 19 year old. I purchased my first AR when I got out of basic training at 19. It was a beat up old A2 that I shot for years until I had the coin to upgrade to something else. I'm glad to hear a young shooter is getting into the game with such a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had been told that because it is considered an "assault rifle" then different rules applied. In particular, I was told by one dealer that 21 was the minimum age so I just wanted to make sure that nothing was overlooked before I made the sale.

View Quote

Transfer of an Assault Firearm

Proof of citizenship, or of lawful admission for a permanent residence, must be established prior to the purchase of an "assault firearm." An assault firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

One of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

a certified birth certificate or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,

an un-expired US Passport,

a U. S. citizen identification card,

a current voter registration card,

a current selective service registration card,

an immigrant or registration card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and

a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

(ref: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm)

Law is stupid, knee jerk reaction to the 1993 CIA Shootings

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

a certified birth certificate or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,
Don't have one

Don't have one - it just expired

Don't have one

Don't have one - but all dead Democrats do, they need to vote after all.  And I've NEVER been asked to present one to vote, I'm magically on the rolls after registering in 1999.

Don't have one - been there, done that, got the DD214.  If I ever got a card, I threw it in the trash when I was 18 and shipped out for damn sure.

an immigrant or registration card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and
Don't have one

a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Don't have one

View Quote

I am completely and utterly unqualified from purchasing one, apparently.  But it's nice to see immigrants and those with easily faked and forged documents can get one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only applies to dealer sales. Does not apply to private sales.

From 18.2-308.2:2 -

In addition, no dealer shall sell, rent, trade or transfer from his inventory any assault firearm to any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence. To establish citizenship or lawful admission for a permanent residence for purposes of purchasing an assault firearm, a dealer shall require a prospective purchaser to present a certified birth certificate or a certificate of birth abroad issued by the United States State Department, a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, an unexpired U.S. passport, a United States citizen identification card, a current voter registration card, a current selective service registration card, or an immigrant visa or other documentation of status as a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am completely and utterly unqualified from purchasing one, apparently.  But it's nice to see immigrants and those with easily faked and forged documents can get one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have one

Don't have one - it just expired

Don't have one

Don't have one - but all dead Democrats do, they need to vote after all.  And I've NEVER been asked to present one to vote, I'm magically on the rolls after registering in 1999.

Don't have one - been there, done that, got the DD214.  If I ever got a card, I threw it in the trash when I was 18 and shipped out for damn sure.

Don't have one

Don't have one

Selective Service and voter registration can be verified online.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#17]
It's your property and you have it listed for sale.

If he's over 19 and you feel ok with it then you can sell it to him.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't mean to imply it did, my bad. Just always like to point out the stupid when this comes up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top