Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2015 6:31:57 AM EDT
Who is riding on Sunday?

I will be for the first time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I will just do the Patriot ride to Pentagon with Patriot Harley and once I get down to Pentagon, skip out and come back home.

Rolling Thunder takes too long and lot of standing around and tedious.

You should at least consider riding down with Patriot Harley to the Pentagon with us.  If you never done RT, you should at least experience it and do the RT at least once.

Bring plenty of water(freeze it overnight), sun tan lotion, something to shade yourself from the sun.  Some type of chair would be nice as well if you can swing it on the bike somehow.  
Don't overdress, the first year I did it with my daughter, Safety was my concern, we were both in full leather and full face helmet.  Man did it get hot.  Don't get me wrong, I still wear leather, but my perforated leather.
The ride in the morning can still be chilly, but by noon, you will be hot in leather.  not sure what type of bike you have, but if you don't have bag or luggage, bring some type of cargo net to hold your stuff.

LMK if you want to hook up together for the Patriot ride down.  I will probably bring my daughter in tow.

In September, consider riding the Rattle the Runway.  That one is fun too and you get typically get to go into Hdar Air and Space museum by yourself and it's not open to the general public yet .
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be riding in from Whitts HD in Manassas.....doing the break off to go into DC and hang out.....have done the actual rolling thunder before and it is a lot of waiting around and getting hot....well worth it though for the experience

Bill
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Folks, for representing.

I'll meet up with a Brother from Massachusetts at The Wall Saturday,
where his eldest Brother's name is inscribed, along with 71 others from
"our" unit in Vietnam.... and of those, there are two still MIA..

at the risk of being trite, that has always been the reason for
ROLLING THUNDER.

Ride safely!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I might see you at the Wall on Saturday......CVMA is riding to the Wall and placing a wreath at about noon

Bill
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will just do the Patriot ride to Pentagon with Patriot Harley and once I get down to Pentagon, skip out and come back home.

Rolling Thunder takes too long and lot of standing around and tedious.

You should at least consider riding down with Patriot Harley to the Pentagon with us.  If you never done RT, you should at least experience it and do the RT at least once.

Bring plenty of water(freeze it overnight), sun tan lotion, something to shade yourself from the sun.  Some type of chair would be nice as well if you can swing it on the bike somehow.  
Don't overdress, the first year I did it with my daughter, Safety was my concern, we were both in full leather and full face helmet.  Man did it get hot.  Don't get me wrong, I still wear leather, but my perforated leather.
The ride in the morning can still be chilly, but by noon, you will be hot in leather.  not sure what type of bike you have, but if you don't have bag or luggage, bring some type of cargo net to hold your stuff.

LMK if you want to hook up together for the Patriot ride down.  I will probably bring my daughter in tow.

In September, consider riding the Rattle the Runway.  That one is fun too and you get typically get to go into Hdar Air and Space museum by yourself and it's not open to the general public yet .
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, but I'm riding with a group from Arlington.  Already expecting the hurry up and wait, just like in the army.

Bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 classic with bags on it,   have perforated gear, and was planning on some bungy cords to hold stuff on the rack if needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]

First bike,
First time, . . . All dressed up and ready to go!

http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/fn111557/MyToys/Spyder/WP_20150523_16_32_00_Pro.mp4

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First bike,First time, . . . All dressed up and ready to go!

http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/fn111557/MyToys/Spyder/WP_20150523_16_32_00_Pro.mp4

View Quote

Is that a single cylinder?  What size?

My daughter painted her nails for the ride

Here is my bike for the day:

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks, Folks, for representing.

I'll meet up with a Brother from Massachusetts at The Wall Saturday,
where his eldest Brother's name is inscribed, along with 71 others from
"our" unit in Vietnam.... and of those, there are two still MIA..

at the risk of being trite, that has always been the reason for
ROLLING THUNDER.

Ride safely!
View Quote

Lumpy,

Sorry I somehow missed the part about you being down there today.  We rode down this morning to get some t-shirts and walk around before the big crowds tomorrow.

I'm the one on the left in the Army hat.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I missed out this time, VaF-
my pal never reached me-
maybe he didn't have my latest phone number.

another time.

Please remember to "sign out and back in" sometime
tomorrow...

and thanks for being there....
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got back. Wife and I went. Now I am sun burnt and my ass hurts from the long ride.

There were some US Army SRT folks providing over-watch.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/IMAG2026_zpsw942r5e0.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/IMAG2028_zps2c0whdsh.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First bike,First time, . . . All dressed up and ready to go!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/IMAG2026_zpsw942r5e0.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/IMAG2028_zps2c0whdsh.jpg

2 cylinder 250cc (Honda Rebel engine)

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Making plans for next year.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who is riding on Sunday?

View Quote

I'm thankful if everybody made it back in one piece.  I rode in RT for 13 years way back when and it was one very dangerous ride.  There were people with zero group riding skills riding four abreast when we used to go down Penn Ave swing around and come back on Const. to the Wall before they changed the route.  You'd see speeds from 5mph to 50mph, brake hard, formation turn left and come hard down Const.  We had three years running where there were half a dozen folks that went down, a couple seriously injured (broken bones) simply because they were riding above their level.  Then the Park Service did their best to make it as difficult as possible with no parking on Const. Ave., forcing everyone to park a long way off and walk.  A lot of politics involved back then.

I had to stop riding due to medical reasons so I don't know what it's like now.

Folks also started forgetting what the ride was really about and considered it a party ride.  It is not.  It is and should be a solemn event to honor vets from all conflicts.  It's not an event to show off your bare ass in chaps which I did see one year by some girl who had no idea or understanding what we were doing there. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
it is sad that some have no real focus on the importance and true meaning
of the event...
I have yet to ride in Rolling Thunder, except on four wheels in a longbed
pickup to help some who broke down-
- missed the last three years due health and logistics circumstances beyond my control-
but maybe in coming years, will ride!!

Served in Vietnam 11 months of 1970.

Welcome Home!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#15]
This was my third year doing it and it seemed to have gotten bigger since the first year and about the same as last. Took this panoramic shot from within the parking lot

This one made it to the Rolling Thunder FB page

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm thankful if everybody made it back in one piece.  I rode in RT for 13 years way back when and it was one very dangerous ride.  There were people with zero group riding skills riding four abreast when we used to go down Penn Ave swing around and come back on Const. to the Wall before they changed the route.  You'd see speeds from 5mph to 50mph, brake hard, formation turn left and come hard down Const.  We had three years running where there were half a dozen folks that went down, a couple seriously injured (broken bones) simply because they were riding above their level.  Then the Park Service did their best to make it as difficult as possible with no parking on Const. Ave., forcing everyone to park a long way off and walk.  A lot of politics involved back then.

Folks also started forgetting what the ride was really about and considered it a party ride.  It is not.  It is and should be a solemn event to honor vets from all conflicts.  It's not an event to show off your bare ass in chaps which I did see one year by some girl who had no idea or understanding what we were doing there. Just my opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is riding on Sunday?

With no experience riding in previous years, I think it is a bit better, but from what I heard there were still several accidents.  It is not the place for novice riders.  There was one guy in our group who was still on his learners permit and had only been riding street bikes 4 weeks.  He wisely decided to ride down to DC early, hang out on the mall and watch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#17]

I joined my fellow veteran co-workers on the special "Rolling Thunder” ride from the Pentagon, through the streets of Washington DC. There was an estimated 500,000 – 700,000 bikes this year. I am happy and proud to have made this journey and look forward to many more. The little Spyder fit right in with everything else and received quite a few complements. I made video recording of the trip and am in the process of editing the video clips to publish on my "Youtube” channel. I will post a link to it when I get it done and uploaded.

Linked below are three "Youtube” videos I found, that if you look close you can pick me out of the passing procession. I have noted in (x:xx / x:xx) the time stamp on the video where I can be located.

(1:30 / 3:28)

(1:16 / 1:20)

(6:10 / 11:09)

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got back. Wife and I went. Now I am sun burnt and my ass hurts from the long ride.

There were some US Army SRT folks providing over-watch.

http://i.imgur.com/pHvuqSB.jpg?1
View Quote

Those are actually Pentagon Force Protection Agency folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top