Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2015 4:10:25 PM EDT
My permit is expiring on May 4th. It says on the Fairfax website that I was supposed to renew it 45 days before expiration. Does anyone know if I can still treat this as a renewal or do I need to go through the whole process of going in with my DD214 and such?

I've tried calling the clerk but can't get her on the line.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Still a renewal, but you may wind up with a period where you do not have a valid CHP. Depending on when Fairfax approves your new permit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it's a renewal...and yeah, you will have a gap.  I renewed last year in FFX and it took  34 days.

It's one reason why some folks also get a Utah permit - to bridge the gap.  Of course, we both could have applied earlier and that would have also solved the problem.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
They tell you that  so your existing permit doesn't run out before you get your new one as others have said. I renewed mine 3 months ago with a May 26th expiration, and it only took 7 days. (Frederick County).
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I'm definitely running late on this. Thanks guys for the info!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
For future reference, the best way to do your renewal is at least 90 days, but no more than 180 days, before expiration. The Code says that if you hit that window, the new permit is issued as of the day after the old one expires, so you get your full 5 years worth.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't mean to steal your thread, but mine will be up for renewal soon.

I got my permit issued in loudoun, I have since moved to frederick county.
I had to go to loudoun for an address change...(not needed, but wanted the peach of mind)

That being said, can I go through frederick for a renewal? Or will I need to renew through loudoun?

Anyone done something similar?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had to go to loudoun for an address change...(not needed, but wanted the peach of mind)

That being said, can I go through frederick for a renewal? Or will I need to renew through loudoun?

View Quote

I just did this, my original permit was issued in Loudoun and I now live in Frederick county. New permit gets renewed in Frederick County. Take your existing permit to the courthouse, fill out the paperwork and pay the fee. I got mine in the mail in 7 days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just did this, my original permit was issued in Loudoun and I now live in Frederick county. New permit gets renewed in Frederick County. Take your existing permit to the courthouse, fill out the paperwork and pay the fee. I got mine in the mail in 7 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My original permit was issued in Loudoun back in the early 90s when they were only good for 2 years.   I renewed 3 more times there before I moved to Fairfax.  Since then I have renewed twice in Fairfax.  No problems at all.

But don't expect 7 days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Renew in the 180-90 day window before expiring. And, do it by mail. Couldn't get any easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top