Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2015 9:00:48 PM EDT
Who has it ?

Did you get an appraisal ?

Did you gave your SN's to your insurance company ?

My Insurance is with USAA, I thought about adding a policy for my gun collection.. When I called at first they mentioned I would need to provide a list with SN's.. I was like.. UHH

They did back off the SN request, I understand they need to know I own such guns, but how do you also keep your info safe ? Am I just being paranoid ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about USAA.  They are a really big comopany because of its loyal customers.  It would be a good idea to share your SN with them for liability issues down the road if something bad were to happen.  It would be much harder to prove anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a personal property policy with USAA. Its to insure SOME of my firearms and the wife's shiny items. I do not recall off the top of my head if I had to provide serial numbers or not. To be honest, I do not see what the issue would be if I did. Your insurance company already knows a lot about you. And what would be the reason not to give it to them?

Anyways, my home owners policy covers up to a certain amount for firearms. My collection's value goes beyond what that value was. I did not have to provide any info on the firearms for the basic home owners policy. For the personal property policy I did have to list detailed specs for each item to be insured. I set the value for each item I want it insured for. Keep in mind, if your items are ever stolen, broken, or lost and you make a claim, then you may have to provide proof the items are really valued at what you claimed. Example would be if you listed a Bushmaster AR15 at $4000, you would have to provide a reason for that value when you can walk into the store and buy a new one for $600. I used my receipts and what it would cost to replace the items at the time I got the policy as my values. And yes my policy does cover everything such as accidental breakage or if it is lost.

I basically only have what I consider my higher value weapons insured under the personal property. BUT I am starting to reconsider having everything on the policy that I currently do. I've had the policy about 4 years now. The cost of the policy over 4 years has exceeded the value of about half the firearms covered. I am thinking about reducing the firearms I have covered to just a couple that it would be difficult to replace and the one time value to replace would hurt my checkbook. Example would be my $4000 Bushmaster AR. To me it all comes down to cost of the policy each year Vs. the cost of the one time replacement cost for items plus the likely risk of anything ever happening.

Just my thoughts and opinions and how my policy works with USAA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so let's throw wrenches into the mix.  Do you (can you) insure NFA items?  Are my cans automatically covered?  Do I need to call them out specifically?  Does it cover replacement cost + stamp?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
When it comes to insurance you need to "state" everything! My company wanted pictures of each item I was insuring, market value, copy of the recipets, and location of items. I told them to go eff themselves
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally think unless you have very high value items over $10k (RR, DIAS, sear packs, etc) it is probably a waste of money. At the end of the day it is your money though, if it is worth it to you go ahead. Would you have full coverage/low deductible insurance on a car worth $4k? I wouldn't.

ETA: Also worth noting if you are an NRA member they give you $2,500 worth of firearms coverage for free, that would be another option to augment your homeowners policy at a low cost.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in almost the exact same boat- USAA and lots of weapons.  I am running a cost analysis on USAA vs. NRA (which might very well be cheaper) but am still working on the weapons survey.  I have complete supporting documentation, but my Excel skills are... rudimentary LOL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone used the NRA ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance? It appears to run about $10 per 1k of coverage per year.  It seems like a good deal but those sometimes make me wonder if they are too good to be true. I don't think that the NRA would endorse it if it wasn't but I don't know of anyone who has used them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone used the NRA ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance? It appears to run about $10 per 1k of coverage per year.  It seems like a good deal but those sometimes make me wonder if they are too good to be true. I don't think that the NRA would endorse it if it wasn't but I don't know of anyone who has used them.
View Quote

I looked into it. The cost per $1K of coverage goes up after $6,500. IIRC, $100,000 worth of coverage would cost ~$1,300 per year. When you add in the value of optics, mags, custom upgrades and maybe an NFA toy even a modest collection can add up to $100K pretty quick. That is a lot of money to justify EVERY year. It might be better spent towards an upper-end, truly fire-rated safe, monitored alarm and video.

As always- YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top