Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 8:50:24 AM EDT
I know there's no state law governing this but I was reading about the Robbie Scott bank robbery indictment in the Winchester Star and the part in red jumped out at me, does anyone have any concrete information on this charge? This is the first I've heard of it.

24-year-old Winchester resident Robert Austin Scott  has been indicted by a city grand jury after allegedly robbing a city United Bank branch at gunpoint twice last year.

Scott was arrested Oct. 10 in connection with the robberies at the branch at 2252 Valley Ave., just south of Weems Lane. The robberies occurred on Sept. 18 and Oct. 6.  During both robberies, Scott allegedly displayed a gun and demanded money, according to a previous media release from the Winchester Police Department.

Scott was charged with two counts of armed robbery, two counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, and two counts of entering a bank armed with a firearm, in connection with the alleged heists.

He was arrested after the Winchester Police Department SWAT team executed a search warrant at a residence in the 700 block of Pennsylvania Avenue on the city’s north end.

A firearm, clothing and a magazine clip were taken from that home. A subsequent search warrant was executed by detectives on a truck at the residence and more clothing was taken.

Police spokeswoman Lauren Cummings has not said whether that clothing matched what was worn during either robbery. She said none of the undisclosed amount of cash taken from the bank during either heist was recovered.

Cummings would not disclose how Scott became a suspect other than to say that his arrest followed a probe by detectives with the city’s Criminal Investigations Division.  Scott is being held without bond at the Northwestern Regional Adult Detention Center.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
As we know, the media always gets details right. Especially about laws and guns.

It's probably this charge which requires that you enter the bank with intent to rob it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I OC at my bank (TD) at least once a week during the summer.

No issues.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
When I worked for a smaller bank I had a few customers come in carrying. Even at a larger national bank I had a customer OC (and it wasn't subtle) and nobody gave him any issues.  Can't even remember if that bank was posted no firearms, but it basically comes down to who is inside running the business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, not illegal to carry in a bank when just going about your business.
Some idiots think that the FDIC sign in the window makes it a federal facility.... but hey,. like I said, they're idiots.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Banks are fine, but don't carry in the Post Office, or any other federal facility.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
NAVYFCU is a no go...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NAVYFCU is a no go...
View Quote

Think you're right.  I believe I saw that sign plus one that say no hoodies/hats/sunglasses or something.  Does that sound right?  It was at the main branch in Vienna.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-93

§ 18.2-93. Entering bank, armed, with intent to commit larceny.

If any person, armed with a deadly weapon, shall enter any banking house, in the daytime or in the nighttime, with intent to commit larceny of money, bonds, notes, or other evidence of debt therein, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 felony.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-90; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

Only a problem if you plan on robbing the place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Think you're right.  I believe I saw that sign plus one that say no hoodies/hats/sunglasses or something.  Does that sound right?  It was at the main branch in Vienna.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NAVYFCU is a no go...

That is correct! Plus no cellphone use in line... They don't want you taking pictures of other people's information.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Wells Fargo has a no firearms policy.  Unfortunately it does not apply to criminals.  Several local branches have been robbed because of it.  They should fight fire with fire.  I carry concealed all the time.  No one knows I have a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wells Fargo has a no firearms policy.  Unfortunately it does not apply to criminals.  Several local branches have been robbed because of it.  They should fight fire with fire.  I carry concealed all the time.  No one knows I have a firearm.
View Quote

Agreed.  I don't pick and choose where I go because I'm carrying or not.  If I have to use it, it's for a life and death situation and I'll deal with a good lawyer later if necessary.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Agreed.  I don't pick and choose where I go because I'm carrying or not.  If I have to use it, it's for a life and death situation and I'll deal with a good lawyer later if necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Banks are not too concerned with stopping robberies.  The amount of money most bank robbers make off with is negligible.  Robbing banks is a godawful way to make a living.

The amount of customers that would be frightened by OC up in say McLean or Great Falls, is an actual worry for them though.  Can't see any reason to prohibit concealed though.

Wells Fargo is also a pain in the ass to get an NFA trust notarized.  I had to speak to my branch manager and eventually ended up complaining to the regional director.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can't see any reason to prohibit concealed though.

View Quote

I know of one regional VA/MD bank that has "No Openly Carried Firearms" signs at some of its locations. I assume the idea there is just to not make people uncomfortable and not leave the employees guessing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Banks are not too concerned with stopping robberies.  The amount of money most bank robbers make off with is negligible.  Robbing banks is a godawful way to make a living.  

The amount of customers that would be frightened by OC up in say McLean or Great Falls, is an actual worry for them though.  Can't see any reason to prohibit concealed though.

Wells Fargo is also a pain in the ass to get an NFA trust notarized.  I had to speak to my branch manager and eventually ended up complaining to the regional director.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't necessarily mean banks - it could be a restaurant or grocery store or Costco - I'm not going to see the sign and then turn around and leave my gun in my car just because I see a stupid sign telling me I can't defend myself.  That's all I meant.  I would assume most of us are in that same boat.

I although fuck Toby's Keiths.  I won't go there on principle, regardless of that fucking sign.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW- My local BB&T branch has always cheerfully notarized any of my "gun" related documents. They only peruse the document for what they need to for the notary, smile and don't say a word about my private business.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Had my Gun Trust notarized at the General District courthouse. Many clerks are also a notary. I am surprised a bank would be so skiddish on that. What should they care?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I am about to apply for my permit and was wondering were i can and cannot carry. I was just looking at the vcdl website and came accross this.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.01

So a bank would be private property?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Wells Fargo? They must have changed, then. I remember when they took over Wachovia, all the gunbuster signs came down. I have OC'd in there on many occasions, including getting gun stuff notarized. Haven't been in one in a while, thought.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wells Fargo? They must have changed, then. I remember when they took over Wachovia, all the gunbuster signs came down. I have OC'd in there on many occasions, including getting gun stuff notarized. Haven't been in one in a while, thought.
View Quote

A lot of this kind of thing probably varies depending on the branch manager, regardless of what (if anything) the mothership says on the subject.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A lot of this kind of thing probably varies depending on the branch manager, regardless of what (if anything) the mothership says on the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was originally Wachovia too.

The incident with the notary was in Falls Church, so really the belly of the liberal beast...

The regional guy was apologetic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top