Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2015 2:03:34 PM EDT
Just saw that they are having a WWII plane flyover in DC 12:00 on April 8th in conjunction with WWII commemoration.  Planes will fly out of Culpepper, Manassas, etc and go down the Potomac and flyover the Mall and WWII memorial.  Weather permitting, backup date is May 9th.

http://ww2flyover.org/

To honor the heroes who fought in the War and those on the home front who produced the tanks, ships, and aircraft that enabled the United States and its Allies to achieve victory, one of the most diverse arrays of World War II aircraft ever assembled will fly above the skies of Washington, D.C. on Friday, May 8, 2015, the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE) Day, as part of the Arsenal of Democracy World War II Victory Capitol Flyover. The flyover  will include dozens of World War II aircraft flying in 15 historically sequenced warbird formations overhead. The formations will represent the War’s major battles, from Pearl Harbor through the final air assault on Japan, and concluding with a missing man formation to “Taps.” Never before has such a collection of WWII aircraft been assembled at one location, to honor the large assemblage of veterans gathered at the WWII Memorial for a ceremony.

On Saturday, May 9, 2015, a selection of the planes will be featured at the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Washington Dulles International Airport for a one day exhibition. The display will be open to the public 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.  No advance tickets are required. (Ed: Note: parking is $15 per car)

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had this on my to do calendar for a few months.  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Been waiting for a bit for this...my little boy will blow a gasket when he sees a formation for Corsairs "Skipper'S from Planes" roar overhead
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard about this but NOT that they would be at Udvay-Hazy.  My family is going to love this.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be present for both!

If you're local, there's a big airshow in Pungo (Virginia Beach) the following weekend.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found out about this. Im gonna fo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been waiting for a bit for this...my little boy will blow a gasket when he sees a formation for Corsairs "Skipper'S from Planes" roar overhead
View Quote

Yep - my kids recognize a Skipper from a mile away!

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
for those that can't make it, they will have a live webcast.

http://www.usvets.tv/Events/ArsenalofDemocracy2015.aspx
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anybody know their route after they fly over the WWII memorial? I should be able to get my ass to the ballfields at Bolling, if all the planes fly down the Potomac.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
DC flight map is on their website
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Scheduled to have the first formation over the Lincoln memorial around 1210
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

THANK YOU!!

I was in a bout of depression, knowing that I wasn't going to make it back into town in time to see this.   Had my spot picked out by the Netherlands Carillon and everything.
Hoping I can manage to get a decent wifi signal so I can view it from afar!   But also nice that they'll have the video available for viewing a couple days afterwards.  Won't be nearly the same as being there "live" to see it... but it's much better than missing it entirely!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

THANK YOU!!

I was in a bout of depression, knowing that I wasn't going to make it back into town in time to see this.   Had my spot picked out by the Netherlands Carillon and everything.
Hoping I can manage to get a decent wifi signal so I can view it from afar!   But also nice that they'll have the video available for viewing a couple days afterwards.  Won't be nearly the same as being there "live" to see it... but it's much better than missing it entirely!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU!!

That may be where I try to park - my fear is not getting there early enough to get a parking space. I am thinking two hours, picnic lunch, set up tripod, and have at least two cameras with me. Maybe three.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm taking the metro in to DC  from VA
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm taking the metro too with my wife, kids and 6D and 5DMIIi
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have a scanner I think I've figured out which frequencies they will be using based on some NOTAMs.

134.35 (DCA Helo control) will not be available tomorrow from 12-1pm.  119.1 (KDCA tower) will be the temporary freq.   So I have a feeling 134.35 may be reserved for the flyover since they will be flying a route and altitude typically used by helicopters.  But before they get to the DC area I think they may be on Dulles approach control 135.775.  It too is "not available" tomorrow from 11am-2pm.  There could be an interflight freq too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Really don't want to go into DC, was hoping they would publish a flight path for the aircraft heading in from Mansassas and Culpeper.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the plan is a holding pattern west of Leesburg and then departing from there down the Potomac, so there may be some great views along the way. Problem is it depends on how they fly down the river. I imagine the GW parkway will have some good views from the overlooks.

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll be around the Washington monument with my 7d and 100-400 lens.   Walking from my work office. ??
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll be around the Washington monument with my 7d and 100-400 lens.   Walking from my work office. ??
View Quote

I haven't decided where I'm going to set up yet, but I might end up over there.

It'll be me and my wife. I'll have a Larue Tactical hat, my D5000 70-300mm and a backpack.

Just got to the hotel a little while ago. 3 hours from Chesapeake to Chantilly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Warbird News posted this from Culpeper

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll be walking over from my office.  Should be an amazing sight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Not sure if I should bring my monopod or not... Probably not good for panning but I lugged it on metro.  

Webcast is live now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#23]
What time should I be standing outside near the Pentagon?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Probably by 12:15.   I'm leaving my office a little before Noon and walking to the mall...  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
announcer just said the flyover will commence in about 20 minutes-

so, +/- 1210 Eastern..
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#26]
WOW that was COOL I have seen many of these aircraft on the ground, in museums but to hear the engines humm and see them in flight was truly spectacular!

Did one of the aircraft involved land at National Airport? I was standiing on the side of 395 next to the Pentagon and one of the single engine planes broke formation, lowered it's landing gear and descending towards National Airport. I lost sight of it as it flew by the buildings blocking my view of the airport runway.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm melting....

Walked from L'enfant area to the mall but construction equipment has torn up the mall and you could only stand on the sides where there were trees everywhere.  I decided to walk up to the Monument and ended up on the south side of the monument slope near the theater.  Ended up moving into the shade of the theater 1/2 of the way through and just got back to my office.  The only shots I could really take were front on shots but hopefully I have a few good ones.

First time I've ever seen a B29 flying.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw a few helicopters and there was one prop plane making circles south over the Potomac.   Didn't see any head for National but I couldn't with the view I had.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Very awesome.  I biked from Alexandria to the middle of the Arlington Memorial bridge and was right under all the planes as they made the turn into DC.  Also saw one fighter pull away and make an emergency landing at National.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
For me it was the B24. My Father was a Tailgunner with the 376thBG, 512thBS during WWII. A "Liberando". It was the first time I had actually seen a flying B24.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I ended up driving and parking near the Mayflower Hotel, a fair distance away.  Agree that it was hot!  

I was west of the Monument, close enough to the PA announcer at the WWII memorial  to hear the commentary.  Impressed with the overall turnout, even with it not being well advertised.

Got some shots, even though I was there, 1000 ft up with 5x didn't cut it.  It was nice to hear the props and see them go by, many of the aircraft being the last one or few in service.  

By contrast, one of the best flyover I ever saw on the mall was a F-117 hitting its afterburner

Quoted:
I'm melting....

Walked from L'enfant area to the mall but construction equipment has torn up the mall and you could only stand on the sides where there were trees everywhere.  I decided to walk up to the Monument and ended up on the south side of the monument slope near the theater.  Ended up moving into the shade of the theater 1/2 of the way through and just got back to my office.  The only shots I could really take were front on shots but hopefully I have a few good ones.

First time I've ever seen a B29 flying.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
The view from my office window was great.  They flew right over me. Pics through the dirty glass windows sucked with the phone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
WOW that was COOL I have seen many of these aircraft on the ground, in museums but to hear the engines humm and see them in flight was truly spectacular!

Did one of the aircraft involved land at National Airport? I was standiing on the side of 395 next to the Pentagon and one of the single engine planes broke formation, lowered it's landing gear and descending towards National Airport. I lost sight of it as it flew by the buildings blocking my view of the airport runway.
View Quote

Yes, the TBM Avenger from Military Aviation Museum/The Fighter Factory in VA Beach made a precautionary landing at DCA due to a hydraulic leak. The shop supervisor said that it should already be fixed and be good to go.

I was right below the west face of the Washington monument.

Got back to my hotel in Chantilly a short while ago. Time for a shower and dinner. I'll post up some pictures later.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]
From my neighborhood FB page:

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#35]
That is one great pic
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From my neighborhood FB page:
View Quote

Looks like Algonkian Park.  My mom and stepdad watched from there.   I went all the way to DC so could do some catfishing ahead of time.  I was in my kayak on the VA side between the 14th St and Memorial Bridges.

I've got some decent video and pictures.

A couple I've resized and uploaded.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Watched from the Key bridge.  Parked at the Marriott and walk over.  Great day!  Plenty of planes I've never seen in flight before including the B24, P38 and B29.
No pics, just enjoyed the moment

FBHO
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#38]
That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. The only WWII planes I've ever seen flying before were Texans, Kaydets, and Mustangs. Holy moley.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#39]
About 10 years ago I rode on Sentimental Journey (B17) out of Leesburg.  I think they charge $500 for a 30 minute flight where you get to rotate through all the gunnery positions.(sans ball turret of course)  Well worth it if you have the chance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice pics... better than most I've seen... so bummed I couldn't get away from work to see this and get some pics of my own...

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks, I tend to be my own harshest critic. I wasn't happy with a lot of the pictures I took. These are some of the better ones.  I'm still re-learning photography in general and the tricks of aviation photography.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Thanks, I tend to be my own harshest critic. I wasn't happy with a lot of the pictures I took. These are some of the better ones.  I'm still re-learning photography in general and the tricks of aviation photography.
View Quote
I love a good airshow, and digital photography makes it a lot easier to get some keepers that film would have been cost prohibitive to get at a given skill level... here are a few I took at Andrews a few years ago... I won't say how many pictures were taken to get these few decent ones...
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I feel your pain. I think my main issue was the positioning of the sun. Where we were standing the planes were flying right below the sun. If they had been flying along the north edge of the mall or if I had a different vantage point instead, things might have been a little different.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I was down by the Lincoln Memorial with the family. I have videos and more stills on my phone but the videos are on Periscope. I'll see if I can get them on my YT channel

The foreign dignitaries who laid wreaths at the WWI Monument ceremony

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got pictures up from The national mall on Friday, Udvar-Hazy Saturday and Manassas Sunday in the Aviation Photography Thread
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Some more

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#48]
This is the cockpit video of the emergency landing by TBM Avenger at Reagan National during the 70th anniversary of VE Day, Arsenal of Democracy flyover. A 1500psi pinhole hydraulic leak vaporized in the cockpit, appeared like smoke, and prompted a decision to abort the flyover and land at Reagan DCA airport.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/watch-cockpit-video-shows-emergency-landing-of-wwii-plane-in-d-c.html
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw that the other day. I had heard about it from the mechanics that work on the plane, but very cool to hear it directly from the pilot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the Catalina is the one I saw in maintanence down at the aviation museum at the beach. I believe they said it may be the only one flying anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top