Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2015 2:05:06 AM EDT
Hey all, I thought you would be one of the best places to turn to for like minded information.

I will be moving to the Dahlgren va. area from Blacksburg (Go Hokies) for work in about a month and wanted to get the low down on the area.  You can likely guess where I will be working.
Specifically I am looking for any local information on:

Best areas to live for someone that likes the country life.  I like to build things and work on my own vehicles so I hope to find a house to rent that has a garage or workshop.

Shooting areas, I would prefer outdoors

Places to avoid living / businesses to avoid and the reason.

Best local gun shops. I would like a place that is more toward the black rifle end of things, and would be awesome if they carried odd things, such as vepr rifles, military surplus firearms, cannik pistols, etc.

Also do you happen to know anyone who flies RC airplanes or Helicopters at a club field?

Thanks guys (and gals)  I am sure I will think up more questions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Dahlgren is in King George County.  Dahlgren itself has very little to offer with some of the things you want.  It has some fast food places and a Walmart and recently some other small stores opened.  301 is the gateway between Maryland and the south so it is a traffic nightmare from the base and from Maryland during commute hours and Friday nights.

King George is rural but built out if that makes sense.  So renting on a property you can shoot on with what you want might be the best bet.  I would look in greater King George County and steer clear of Dahlgren for renting.   Westmoreland County might be another option.

The King George Gun Club is a private club with about 500 members and about 30 on the waiting list.  Other than that I don't know of any public places to shoot in the area.

As far as Gun Shops in the area I like Old Town Firearms in Fredericksburg for FFL transfers and good service.  SSG tactical has the black rifle portion covered in Fredericksburg.   Big Dog Outfitters in King George is the local shop for King George about 8 or so miles south of Dahlgren.  

I am not from the King George but I am over there a lot so that is all I really have. Good luck in your move.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Best areas to live for someone that likes the country life..
View Quote

That's pretty much all there is to KGC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a very clean and recently updated 3+ BR and 2 bath coming up for rent this Aug/Sep in Colonial Beach "on the point".  No garage though.  As far as shooting out doors you're going to have to meet some folks with property which won't be hard too do.  Popular boating community and a few gear heads still driving around.  If you're interested my place it is on Bancroft Ave in CB.  PM me if interested.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked in Dahlgren at NSWC from 1999 till 2005 after leaving Tech.   I lived in several different places.   Rented in Dahlgren, Tappahannock and Mechanicsville before buying a place in Caroline county.   Check out around the Bowling Green area in Caroline County.   Prices are cheaper than in Fredericksburg or KG county.  

As far as a range I would check out Northern Virginia Gun Club. They have a very nice place there and are pretty cheap.   They are about 15 minutes east of NSWCDD.  IM me if you have a specific question in mind.  My info is a little dated as I left that area in the fall of 2007.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information everyone, I will check out some houses in that area thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I know nothing of the club as it's not a hobby of mine, just remember seeing the field.

http://www.fredericksburgrc.com
Most of your other questions have been covered.  Welcome to the area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top